Last Book You Read....

H_B

Just finished The Great American Novel by Philip Roth, a genuinely funny satire based in an imaginary baseball league which was expunged from the history books due to a Communist plot. A savage attack on McCarthyism combine with a piss take of the egos in baseball. Brilliant, and at times surreal and dark. 9.2/10

Next' I'm going to attempt to finally read all 1100 pages of The Rise and Fall of The Third Reich by William L Shirer. Despite my memories of SYS History, it's actually a very dryly witty read. It's just so damn long though.

Just finished The Great American Novel by Philip Roth, a genuinely funny satire based in an imaginary baseball league which was expunged from the history books due to a Communist plot. A savage attack on McCarthyism combine with a piss take of the egos in baseball. Brilliant, and at times surreal and dark. 9.2/10

Next' I'm going to attempt to finally read all 1100 pages of The Rise and Fall of The Third Reich by William L Shirer. Despite my memories of SYS History, it's actually a very dryly witty read. It's just so damn long though.

I read the Shirer book last year. It's long but it's a very good read.

League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Century 1969 by Alan Moore

A disappointment to be honest. There are lots of nice touches and references to popular culture. Deep down though the story is basically crap. The artwork is exceptional though, treading the fine line bewtween faithful 60's homage and Austin powers parody.

The firdt Moore that I've been disappointed in :(

I read the Shirer book last year. It's long but it's a very good read.

I've started it so many times, but just can't get through it. The sheer size of it is partly the reason, but also I tend to flit from book to book or have more than one on the go at a time.

Giles Kristian - Raven: Blood Eye and Sons of Thunder.

I haven't read much in past year, so good to get reading again.

7/10 for both, decent historical fiction with a good crack at the Viking period.

Both Robert Low and Bernhard Cornwell are probably better with their oath sworn and Uthred series, but I liked what Kristian did.

9781408702116.jpg

Read this last week. Quite disturbing story of an Aberdonian man conscripted into the army during World War 2 and his treatment as a prisoner of the Japanese.

Onto something completely different now ...

333.jpg

Really enjoying this touring diary type book by the brilliant James Yorkston. Would have finished it today but alas I seem to have lost it. Hopefully I have left it in work yesterday, if not I'll need to buy another copy just for the last chapter :(

I finished this years Pultizer winnger A Visit From The Goon Squad it didn't strike me as instantly brillaint, but i think I'd want to reread it to appreciate it. Biggest compliment i can play just now is that I wanted to spend more time with the characters,a nd the stories were pretty enagaging

Staying with "Great American novels" I'm thinking about reading Jonathan Franzen's last two books, but should i do The Corrections or the more recent Freedom first? I have the latter on my kindle already.

I'm currently reading How I Became A Famous Novelist by Steve Hey, which is shaping p well

Outlaws Inc. by Matt Potter. It's about former Red Army soldiers who transport cargo (from Aid to Weapons and everything in between) on massive Soviet Warplanes to war zones and places that are often considered inaccessible. Not really the kind of thing I'm normally interested in, but quite enjoyed the book.

<i>Marie Stuart</i> by Stefan Zweig: a biography of Mary, Queen of Scots by a German historian.  Which, for some reason, I read in French.<div><br></div><div>Don't read it.  Utterly biased, inaccurate tosh which continually makes specious arguments before going on to refer to the point argued for as fact.  Also full of laughably bad attempts at psychology.</div><div><br></div><div>In the last chapter, James VI is referred to (in comparison with his mother) as 'unintelligent'.  Um, right.</div>

Edit: what the f**k is going on with this post?

Edited by Mak

Really dislike people posting jpegs of the cover image. Tell us what the name of the book is, who it's by and what you thought of it.

mhak, if you posted that elsewhere first it's retained formatting from that site. P&B doesn't use the same coding for bold, italics and smilies.

I've been going through a Philip K Dick phase recently. In the last couple months I've read - The Man In The High Castle, Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep, The Divine Invasion, Valis and Now Wait For Last year. Strayed away after that re-read Fear And Loathing in Las Vegas and No Country For Old men. I'm now on the 4th book in Stephen Kings Dark Tower series "Wizard and Glass".

League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Century 1969 by Alan Moore

A disappointment to be honest. There are lots of nice touches and references to popular culture. Deep down though the story is basically crap. The artwork is exceptional though, treading the fine line bewtween faithful 60's homage and Austin powers parody.

The firdt Moore that I've been disappointed in :(

its freakin gash - still better than Wildcats though.

Well afte 2 years sitting on the shelf I finally read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and I'm just not buying into the hype.

Its a 530 page book and it takes 150 pages for anything approaching a plot to turn up and then thats wrapped up 100 pages before the end so we can concentrate on some exceedingly dull business journalism. The main twists in the plot can be seen coming a mile off and dare I say it that the plot falls apart when our hero suddenly discovers all of these new clues and then manages to track every single one of the them down, despite it being 46 years later.

And for a book that is supposedly lecturing on feminism I found it slightly disturbing that they start off by letting a

rapist get away with his crimes, her "guardian" and then end the book, except its not the end, with a "look she already did it once this book, so whats the difference between a sadist who takes pleasure from molesting his clients and a powerful businessman who kills hookers and illegal immigrants in his basement" - she'll cover it up and use it to her advantage.

I dont know, I just find that kind of message leaving a nasty taste in the mouth.

Readable enough but more Thomas Harris than Thomas Hardy. Not sure I want to read Book 2

Really dislike people posting jpegs of the cover image. Tell us what the name of the book is, who it's by and what you thought of it.

mhak, if you posted that elsewhere first it's retained formatting from that site. P&B doesn't use the same coding for bold, italics and smilies.

Weirdly, I actually didn't. I know that it can also be an issue when using Internet Explorer...but I didn't. Ah well.

Reading Christopher (or 'Chris', as he now apparently likes to be known. Can't help but think that this is the kind of thing he'd have slaughtered back in the day) Brookmyre's Pandaemonium now; a book which I've been meaning to read for so long that he's had time to bring out another! Enjoying it so far, although I've not read a great deal of it yet.