Last Book You Read....

H_B

Is Never let me Go good stuff? I;ve seen it praised to the hilt on here before, and conciously avoided the film so I could read the book, but I'm not big on sci fi

I really enjoyed it. The narrative is brilliant, although it did start to wear a bit towards the end. I'll definitely pick it up and read it again. The film isn't a patch on the book IMO.

Incidently, I've just finished Clash of Kings again. It's brilliant. I empathise with pretty much all the point of view characters and the actual story itself is tremendous. Part 1 of book 3 was my favourite last time, with Jaime Lannister being introduced as a POV character, so I'm quite looking forward to steamrollering through that one.

not the last book I've read but the most enjoyable. I cannot scrawl back the huner odd pages to see if it's been recommended before but if youhaven't read this

niven_amateurs.jpg

get it for xmas or something man you'll pee your panites

I really enjoyed Kill Your Friends but heard this wasn't as good. Might give it a try anyway.

Has anyone read The Handmaid's Tale? I am currently doing that book at school and I am intereted in your opinions if you have read it.

i haven't read it but it looks interesting. is it your personal choice or for the full class?

try good reads, the amazon customer reviews and the guardian website for reviews and opinions.

I really enjoyed Kill Your Friends but heard this wasn't as good. Might give it a try anyway.

kill yer mates was although a greatbook faceless and cold like cocaine. The amateurs has characters in it that are affable despite their blatant flaws. I guarantee you'll LOL or I'll buy the book for you. All the best bits of irvine welsh with a west of scotland humour

[quote name='Savage Henry' timestamp='1319877776' post='5696500':) ]

It is indeed. Edgar Allen Poe is also a master of the short story.

Poe is indeed a master of this genre, I particularly enjoy "The Gold Bug"...but for me , the short stories of O'Henry are hard to beat.

Try his " 58 Short Stories", with his experiences in La Salle County, and Austin, Texas, contained under the "Heart of the West" part of the book, while "The Voice of the City" and " The Gentle Grafter" sections contain the tales based on his life in New York.

An excellent insight to life in early 20th. century America....enjoy !.... :)

• 2 weeks later...

not the last book I've read but the most enjoyable. I cannot scrawl back the huner odd pages to see if it's been recommended before but if youhaven't read this

niven_amateurs.jpg

get it for xmas or something man you'll pee your panites

Need to get that. I read 'Kill Your Friends' a while back after realising that the author was a guy I went to school with and lived on the same street as for years.

Just finished The way Home by George Pelecanos this morning. Got it for 75p in the local charity shop and mostly read it on journey to and from work. First book I've read by the author but enjoyed it enough to look out more of his stuff.

51po-zLGu-L.jpg

7/10

Edited by mighty meadow

I've read most of Pelecanos' books. They are pretty decent.

He wrote The Wire TV scripts too... or lots of it anyway.

Yeah, it mentions The Wire on the cover of the book. That wasn't a major issue in me reading the book to be honest as although I've heard it is great TV I must be one of the few who has never watched a single episode :huh:

American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Man fresh from jail is swept up as the ideal man to lead the dying imported Gods of the Europeans into battle against the new Gods of the Modern Age. Excellent story and fun characters, this is just a really good read. Comical at times but a lightyear away from Terry Pratchett. I've picked up Neverwhere off the back of reading it - anyone given it a go?

Also read The Complaints by Ian Rankin. His new creation does have a heavy 'Rebus' feel about him, and this would qualify as a 'vintage' effort. I flew through it in no time.

2010: Odyssey Two - I've committed myself to reading the series, and I thought this was a strong sequel to 2001.

Currently dividing my time between Cloud Atlas, The Sacred Art of Stealing and The Shape Of Things To Come.

Poe is indeed a master of this genre, I particularly enjoy "The Gold Bug"...but for me , the short stories of O'Henry are hard to beat.

Try his " 58 Short Stories", with his experiences in La Salle County, and Austin, Texas, contained under the "Heart of the West" part of the book, while "The Voice of the City" and " The Gentle Grafter" sections contain the tales based on his life in New York.

An excellent insight to life in early 20th. century America....enjoy !.... :)

If you don't have anything to read just now and fancy a very short story that you can read online, then google " To build a Fire". It's a tale from the Klondyke by Jack ( White Fang and Call of the Wild ) London.

Wrap up warm and enjoy. :)