Last Book You Read....

H_B

Im currently reading the Anthony Kieldis autobiography (singer from the chili peppers), i cant quite believe he is as honest in it as he is, its a cracking read, he ingested so much drugs that its hard to believe he wasnt a member of the shuttle.

Last one read was '78: How a nation lost the World Cup, funny that.

Going through Chronicles by Bob Dylan now which it has taken me forever to get round to reading.

Edited by cbhaf

Guest Blonde Saint

Im currently reading the Anthony Kieldis autobiography (singer from the chili peppers), i cant quite believe he is as honest in it as he is, its a cracking read, he ingested so much drugs that its hard to believe he wasnt a member of the shuttle.

I've read that as well. It has to be one of the most honest autobiographies I've ever read. It is so compelling.

The Power of One by Bryce Courteney.

I had a vague reccolection of seeing the film when I was about 10 and when we were round recording at out singers flat I noticed he had the book , couldn't resist borrowing it.

Guest Andy walkers chip

I Know You Got Soul by Jeremy Clarkson.

Not a novel, but him talking about various machines / engines that have been made over the years that he thinks are amazing, for various reasons. I love his style of writing too, totally dry, witty sarcasm etc., suits me.

9/10.

Perfect book for the boring morning train journeys.

Just finished welcome to hell, one man's fight for life inside the bangkok hilton by colin martin, autobiography about the authors time spent inside the notorious lard yao prison after being imprisoned for a crime he didn't commit 10/10

Guest Adam Wee

Just finished welcome to hell, one man's fight for life inside the bangkok hilton by colin martin, autobiography about the authors time spent inside the notorious lard yao prison after being imprisoned for a crime he didn't commit 10/10

I was always meaning to read that, definetly worth it then?

I was always meaning to read that, definetly worth it then?

yes, i reccommend it, after that you should also read 4000 days by warren fellows, marching powder by rusty young, forget you had a daughter by sandra gregory and welcome to hell by chris parnell, All true stories about prisoners in really nasty jails in thailand, bolivia and indonesia

Guest Adam Wee

yes, i reccommend it, after that you should also read 4000 days by warren fellows, marching powder by rusty young, forget you had a daughter by sandra gregory and welcome to hell by chris parnell, All true stories about prisoners in really nasty jails in thailand, bolivia and indonesia

Cheers bud, ill have a look out for them on Amazon when i get paid B) :D

Guest Adam Wee

get them on ebay, its much cheaper than amazon

Aye, you can get them for a penny on Amazon but they have a fixed rate for postage.

If you are into books like that, you should look out for "A sense of Freedom" by Jimmy Boyle (only difference was, he was guilty and didn't spend his time in some South East Asian hell-hole, but in the Bar-L :lol:) and "50 Dead men Walking" or "Dead man Running" buy Martin McGartland. The second is a follow-up of the first, both fantaistic reads!

As you are a travelling man, have you ever read any of Lucy Irvine's stuff? If not, she has 4 books out (one is fiction) but the other 3 are stories of her travels which took her all over Europe on literally, a shoe-string budget, to an unpopulated island off the North Coast of Australia for a year where she nearly died and to the far corner of the Solomon Islands in the South Pacific.

All 3 are cracking reads ;)

'A Piano in the Pyrennes' by Tony Hawks, funny like all his books.

Ive read all his other books and loved them.

I got this a few weeks back but havent had a chance to read it yet.

If you like that you should try books by

Danny Wallace

Dave Gorman

But you probably already have :P

I've read a sense of freedom before, bar l seems like butlins in comparision to the asian nicks. I might check out some of them travel books, I've only read 1 travel book before, the gringo trail by mark mann, that was quite good, I'll keep an eye out for some lucy irvine stuff though, cheers

Guest Adam Wee

I've read a sense of freedom before, bar l seems like butlins in comparision to the asian nicks. I might check out some of them travel books, I've only read 1 travel book before, the gringo trail by mark mann, that was quite good, I'll keep an eye out for some lucy irvine stuff though, cheers

Wouldn't bother with Faraway if you haven't read any of her stuff before, an old women who settled in the Solomons with her husband in the 1950's invited her and her 3 children over for a year so she could write their story about the island and shit. I think you would like Castaway (her 2nd book) and her first one Runaway is a good read too. That's the one she goes all over Eurpoe on £30 :o:lol:

Wish i could've done that, ive got myself into debt after just 2 months away :ph34r::lol:

• 2 weeks later...

We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver

One of the best books I've ever read.

It's a novel, but written as a series of letters from a mother to her estranged husband. Their son is in jail having committed a Columbine-style massacre at his school and the book explores the old nature verus nurture debate. It's poignant, shocking, heartbreaking and, also, funny - there are some great moments of black humour.

Although you know ultimately what happens, the author still manages the trick of increasing the tension up until the final pages. the fact it's written from the mother's perspective is interesting, too; it makes you wonder just how reliable her story is.

It's a book I would highly recommend to anyone

We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver

One of the best books I've ever read.

It's a novel, but written as a series of letters from a mother to her estranged husband. Their son is in jail having committed a Columbine-style massacre at his school and the book explores the old nature verus nurture debate. It's poignant, shocking, heartbreaking and, also, funny - there are some great moments of black humour.

Although you know ultimately what happens, the author still manages the trick of increasing the tension up until the final pages. the fact it's written from the mother's perspective is interesting, too; it makes you wonder just how reliable her story is.

It's a book I would highly recommend to anyone

My girlfriend is reading that.

I have just read - The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. It's a modern vampire story, telling the search for Vlad Tepes, The Impaler/Dracula. There are three stories told at once through narrative and letters from the past - one tells of a 1930s scholar searching Romania for Dracula's tomb, the other of the narrators father and his future wife searching through Turkey, Romania and Bulgaria for the 30s scholar previous to them and the narrative int eh 1970s of the narator whose father has disappeared after revealing some secrets of his past to his daughter.

It was an excellent book, very well written. It could easily have been hokum, what with tales of Dracula and the undead but it is an excellent account. It brings in different themes, such as totalitarianism and the nature of history. I would recommend it.

I'm off to read William Golding, Pincher Martin. :)

I'm just about to start reading Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. Now, I got recommended this by my ex... but she has some quite strange tastes when in it comes to books and movies.

Has anyone else on here read it and can give me a small synopsis of what it's actually about?