Last Book You Read....

H_B

Just started Player One, after this the only DC i haven't read is Generation A so that is on the to-do list

I'm slowly working my way through DC books ATM. I read Microserfs and The Gum Thief a couple months ago and about 20 minutes ago I finished JPod (my favourite so far), the girlfriend has Girlfriend in a Coma which I'll maybe start next and I've got some cheap used copies of Generation X & All Families are Psychotic arriving from Amazon this week.

I've been reading a lot lately, in the last 2/3 weeks I've read:

The Dolls House - Tania Carver

The Fault in our Stars - John Green

An Abundance of Katherine's - John Green

A Tale Etched in Blood and Hard Black Pencil - Christopher Brookmyre

The Universe Versus Alex Woods - Gavin Extence

And of course the aforementioned JPod by Douglas Coupland

On the list (non DC stuff) to read soon:

Wool - Hugh Howey. I bought this for the girlfriend and she's enjoying it so I'll probably read it myself at some point.

77 Shadow Street - Dean Koontz

The Devil's Revenge - K.N Shields

I thought the first one was a bit slow to get going, but then I got really hooked once things started to happen.I got so into them that I read the third one in a single sitting one wet Sunday!

I've only read the first one, found it slow going at first as well. I couldn't decide if it was slow, or just all the Swedish names that were abnormal to me. I'm not sure when I'll get round to reading the rest, but hopefully will soon. Anyone thinking of reading it, stick with it, does get better!

Finished the 3rd one on Sunday. Glad I stuck with it, as it definitely was worth the effort, although I thought it seemed to flow between being excellent, and just a wee bit too OTT. Still a very good series.

Finished The Road (10/10) and Pygmy (8/10) while on holiday. Pygmy is highly idiosyncratic, difficult to get into but worth the effort. The Road's just beautiful.

Read quite a bit of Cormac McCarthy a few months back. Thought it was decent but I wasn't massively impressed. Pygmy was pretty funny, but nothing close to Palahniuk's best effort.

Finished The Trial by Franz Kafka yesterday. Enjoyed it. Came into it's own as you got closer to the end.

Did he finish writing that one? I read The Castle a while back and got very very frustrated at the way it finished in the middle of a sentence. Took me a while to get into the book and was really enjoying it when it stopped!

Fowler's great, although I prefer his stand-alone novels - Disturbia is a particular favourite (I've just now gone and bought it on Amazon again, as I can't remember the last time I saw my copy!), although I also recommend Roofworld and Spanky. There's a cracking SS compilation of his as well - Personal Demons.

He's the author I used to lend to people who thought James Herbert was talented... ;)

I've just got hold of a second-hand copy of another Fowler, Rune. It looks like it's got the Bryant & May gang in it. I've read it's not considered part of 'the canon', maybe because B&M aren't the leads.

I've also read his Hell Train, a great tribute to Hammer - the Hammer Horror that was never made.

I'm not sure I'd dare buy Spanky - that cover :o I'd never dare read it on the bus. Ach, wtf, just ordered it from Amazon.

I've just got hold of a second-hand copy of another Fowler, Rune.  It looks like it's got the Bryant & May gang in it.  I've read it's not considered part of 'the canon', maybe because B&M aren't the leads.

I've also read his Hell Train, a great tribute to Hammer - the Hammer Horror that was never made.

I'm not sure I'd dare buy Spanky - that cover :o I'd never dare read it on the bus. Ach, wtf, just ordered it from Amazon.

I loved Spanky. Hell Train was pretty good as well - one thing about it, and it's not a criticism as such, is that it felt like a novel-length short story, if that makes any sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone read anything by Don Delillo? I'm needing a new book, was thinking about one of his.

I've read underworld, libra and white noise.

Underworld is incredible but it's about 900 pages so it will take a while. It's definitely worth it though as it includes some of the best passages of writing I've ever read. It begins with an amazing 50 page description of a baseball game that frank Sinatra and j Edgar Hoover are attending and has sme fictional Lenny Bruce routines about the Cuban missile crisis that are unbelievably good.

Libra is about lee Harvey Oswald and gives a fictional account if his life that contends he was set up by rouge CIA agents to kill JFK. I'd recommend you pick up this one.

White noise is hugely popular but I didn't really take to it. It's obviously supposed to be a satire of American universities and middle class family life in the 80s but I found I couldnn't get past how much I hates the characters.

Edited by T_S_A_R

I've now got that dreaded "finished book and don't know what to do with life" problem. What a journey I've been on the last few days, feel a bit sad now!

I've only just got into reading again, what Stephen King book should I read next?

Edited by Guest

I've now got that dreaded "finished book and don't know what to do with life" problem. What a journey I've been on the last few days, feel a bit sad now!

I've only just got into reading again, what Stephen King book should I read next?

I've been recommended Dr Sleep, which is a sequel to The Shinjng.

I've been recommended Dr Sleep, which is a sequel to The Shinjng.

I enjoyed it - stands comparison with the way he wrote Black House to follow The Talisman as a sort of "whatever happened to..." style update. Certainly gives you a new perspective on those motorhomes that clog up the roads...

• 1 month later...

I recently read World War Z and thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought it was very well thought out and in particular the different ways the countries dealt with the infestation.

I have now moved on to The Zombie Survival Guide - Max Brooks. Again Im enjoying it and some considerable thought has been put into it. I also like how zombie attacks have been written into past famous events/civilisations etc.

Probably move away from the Zombie theme after this one though. Dont want to sicken myself of it.

Philip K Dick again maybe? Or back to the prequel to Wool? Not sure. Any suggestions?

Off work just now so plenty of time for reading. I've recently read Dr Sleep by Stephen King - pretty good read. I enjoyed the fact that the 'bad guys' were not just black and white evil characters but were doing what they had to do.

Also finished 1Q84 (books 1&2) by Murakami which was also pretty good. If you like Murakami You'll enjoy it, if you dont you won't.

And a random choice from the library called Carter Beats The Devil which was excellent. It was about a magician in the early 20th century and his rise to fame, whilst being pursued by the FBI in connection with the death of the US President. Reads better than I'm making it sound!