Last Book You Read....

H_B

I'm reading Skagboys at the moment. It's pretty grim reading, there's no real sense of drama as you know all the leads will live, it's just a tale of how desperate and depraved they all get. It's not a bad read, but I'd hardly recommend it.

I thoght Skagboys is comfortably oen of Welsh's best works. The sense of drama is a bit different, but it was properly stomach churning at moments.

I'm reading Skagboys at the moment. It's pretty grim reading, there's no real sense of drama as you know all the leads will live, it's just a tale of how desperate and depraved they all get. It's not a bad read, but I'd hardly recommend it.

Agree with this to an extent. I thought it was good getting some background into the characters and how they ended up where they did, but as you knew where they ended up already there wasn't too much that could be done.

The political aspect of the book was well done, and there were plenty of cheap laughs in there too.

Can't remember when I last updated this, but I've been averaging 2 books a week for the last couple of months(It's a 1 hour trip each way to work) and I can't be arsed going through everything I've read, but for the most part it has consisted of Jo Nesbo, Ian Rankin and Chris Brookmyre. I think I read too much crime.

Just started on the first of the Millenium trilogy, which seems decent so far, but not quite as good as it's reputation. Only halfway through the first one mind you.

Just started on the first of the Millenium trilogy, which seems decent so far, but not quite as good as it's reputation. Only halfway through the first one mind you.

I thought the first one was a bit slow to get going, but then I got really hooked once things started to happen.I got so into them that I read the third one in a single sitting one wet Sunday!

Slowly working my way through a big pile of unread books. Finished the Andrew Marr History of 20th Century Britain which I quite liked (apart from the ludicrously fawning section on Princess Diana) and also read that East Stirling "Pointless" thing which was OK but nowhere near as good as other similar football books I've read like The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro or A Season With Verona.

Currently reading A History Of The World In 100 Objects by Neil MacGregor. Interesting stuff.

I thought the first one was a bit slow to get going, but then I got really hooked once things started to happen.I got so into them that I read the third one in a single sitting one wet Sunday!

I've only read the first one, found it slow going at first as well. I couldn't decide if it was slow, or just all the Swedish names that were abnormal to me. I'm not sure when I'll get round to reading the rest, but hopefully will soon. Anyone thinking of reading it, stick with it, does get better!

You will emjoy mate

It was excellent.

Just finished it today and immediately bought the next one. Shift. Its a prequel apparently.

I love a good bleak sci fi story. Coupled with the unravelling of the mystery I thought it was gripping. I'm no book expert but I thought it was very well written and was paced perfectly.

Just finished David Byrne's latest book, How Music Works. As a musician and music fan it's a great read, could have done without the last chapter though as it was far too technical and physics-y for my liking. It does read a bit like some of the academic stuff I'd read for my dissertation (I quoted a bit in my dissertation but only got round to reading the book properly recently). I'm moving on to Lucian Randall's "Disgusting Bliss: The Brass Eye Of Chris Morris" and I fully expect to pish myself from laughing at it.

Also been listening to I, Partridge audiobook in bed, best bit is when he goes on and on and on about the day Fernando was born and then finishes the chapter with a completely flat "I experienced similar emotions during the birth of my daughter".

Non-fiction wise, been reading a book called The Ghost Runner about a chap who was banned from amateur running for taking money to box ONCE, he used to turn up and race by hiding behind a nearby tree and then jumping out after the gun.

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Liked the start, was getting really annoyed with it through the middle and then couldn't wait to finish it.

A wife goes missing on their 5th wedding anniversary. Husband is main suspect obv. Book told from her diary entries and his in real time.

Still can't make up my mind whether I liked it or not.

I felt it just kind of finished leaving you not sure that it actually concluded if you know what I mean. After thoroughly enjoying it I was disappointed in the ending