Last Book You Read....

H_B

Dog Blood - David Moody.

Part of a trilogy. It's about a post-apocalyptic type scenario where 1/4 of the human race turn into "Haters" and pretty much try to kill the "Unchanged" rest. It's actually quite good. 7/10.

I went to a James Herbert signing and Q&A in Birmingham at the beginning of last month and David Moody hosted it. Seemingly Herbert was a big influence on him. Moody was a nice fella (spoke to him afterwards) and I'm looking forward to giving his stuff a try. :)

Sadly, now comes the year-long process of critiquing the play and writing essay upon essay on it. The other book we're doing is The Great Gatsby, which by all accounts sounds pretty naff too :(

Higher english I presume? Nightmare of a subject. Done that last year and done the Great Gatsby for it too. Actually pretty decent IMO, against all I thought it would be like when I read a quick summary of it.

Higher english I presume? Nightmare of a subject. Done that last year and done the Great Gatsby for it too. Actually pretty decent IMO, against all I thought it would be like when I read a quick summary of it.

Yup, very boring so far, but easier than I thought. Physics is the hardest of my subjects by far <_<

Teacher gave the first draft of a short story for my folio the highest B, and creative writing is something I'm just awful at. Result 8)

Just re-reading the Dave Robicheaux novels by James Lee Burke. Read The Neon Rain and Heavens Prisoners last week and just finished Black Cherry Blues. He's probably my favourite crime novelist. His writing style is half way between prose and poetry, and you feel as though you've actually been to Louisiana after reading one of the books.

Apparently HBO are going to have a stab at filming the books. Hope it comes off and they get it right, as the two movie versions of the books were half baked, and didn't make any sense taken out of the context of the series.

The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas.

This was unexpectedly good. Chapters from several characters perspectives following a group of Australian friends/relatives. Fulfils the hype.

Just re-reading the Dave Robicheaux novels by James Lee Burke. Read The Neon Rain and Heavens Prisoners last week and just finished Black Cherry Blues. He's probably my favourite crime novelist. His writing style is half way between prose and poetry, and you feel as though you've actually been to Louisiana after reading one of the books.

Apparently HBO are going to have a stab at filming the books. Hope it comes off and they get it right, as the two movie versions of the books were half baked, and didn't make any sense taken out of the context of the series.

Read The Tin Roof Blowdown a couple of months back, been meaning to look for more of his stuff. The minute I get past this 2nd World War kick I am on he is the first author I will be checking out.

Yup, very boring so far, but easier than I thought. Physics is the hardest of my subjects by far dry.gif

Teacher gave the first draft of a short story for my folio the highest B, and creative writing is something I'm just awful at. Result 8)

Yeah, I did that last year too, just dont do what I did and completely forget to revise scale force drawings :lol:

Decent in reply to english, just keep at it. I naturally have little ability in english and was getting low C's/marginal fails throughout the year and ended up getting a B in the final, so I'm sure you'll be fine :)

Just finished reading 11.22.63 by Stephen King. It's a what if/time travel bookset in the years leading up to the Kennedy Assasination. This is the best Stephen King book I have read in YEARS, and there's not a wise old negro or mystical retard in sight. 10/10.

11_22_63_ukpaperback.jpg

I'm not a Stephen King fan, but as this book has had some positive 'reviews' on here. I picked up a copy today. I also got a copy of "Sherlock,the adventures of Sherlock Homes", a collection of twelve short stories. I haven't read any Conan Doyle for years but I look forward to re-visiting 221 Baker Street. :P

Just finished reading 11.22.63 by Stephen King. It's a what if/time travel bookset in the years leading up to the Kennedy Assasination. This is the best Stephen King book I have read in YEARS, and there's not a wise old negro or mystical retard in sight. 10/10.

11_22_63_ukpaperback.jpg

Best book I've read this year, bar none.

• 2 weeks later...