Last Book You Read....

H_B

Started off as quite an interesting series.

Last couple have been absolutely dreadful.

A bit harsh, H_B.

Maybe not as good as the earlier ones but stick good for a bit of escapism reading..

Championlivi, if you like the Reacher books, give Harlan Coben's Marlon Bolitar series a try. Equally readable.

A bit harsh, H_B.

Maybe not as good as the earlier ones but stick good for a bit of escapism reading..

Championlivi, if you like the Reacher books, give Harlan Coben's Marlon Bolitar series a try. Equally readable.

The one abut "Hope and Despair" was criminally bad. The one after that was marginally better.

The Harlan Coben Bolitar ones are much better in my opinion, although the latest of those was dire as well.

I just ordered Eoin McNamee's Resurrection Man from amazon, I've been meaning to read it for a while. I also like the sound of The Twelve, another book on the Troubles, by Stuart Irvine.

I'm about 250 pages into "The Gril with the Dragon Tattoo" and enjoying it, will reserve opinion til its finished likes

Finally got around to finishing this last night. Hmmmmm....

I really enjoyed it,I'll read two and three but I found the ending a bit weak, and the climax a bit of a rip off. I'll give bonus points that it rips off a book that the main character reads in the book mind, how very postmodern and such likes.

It had some great moments though, was very well written at times, I liked the way a relatively complex plot was juggled well, I said earlier I could understand the thriller by numbers criticism that was getting thrown at it, but there were some moments of nice depth and social debate, the Slander chracter - the Girl with the Dragon tattoo, is very intersting, given how so much of the book seems to mirror Larrsons life/interestes it's imoressive that this character seems to be a wholly fictional creation - who knows though eh?

A question for those who are further ahead - Is the Millenium trilogy an actual proper over-arching trilogy or is it just three books featuring the same charcaters? This eemed to tie up a litle too neatly, one of the reasons I think the Books final chapters felt a bit rushed.

Roll on number two though, I might even track it down tonight, I'm sure I saw my local Tesco selling it.

A question for those who are further ahead - Is the Millenium trilogy an actual proper over-arching trilogy or is it just three books featuring the same charcaters? This eemed to tie up a litle too neatly, one of the reasons I think the Books final chapters felt a bit rushed.

Roll on number two though, I might even track it down tonight, I'm sure I saw my local Tesco selling it.

I suspect it's only a trilogy because he's pan breid. The suggestion was that he has 12 books in mind - there's certainly plenty of scope after the third one to use all the characters further.

The court case at the end of the third one is absolutely ludicrous incidentally.

I suspect it's only a trilogy because he's pan breid. The suggestion was that he has 12 books in mind - there's certainly plenty of scope after the third one to use all the characters further.

The court case at the end of the third one is absolutely ludicrous incidentally.

That's a bit gutting to be honest with you, I assumed there would be a big picture to be tied up in the end. Bleh

That's a bit gutting to be honest with you, I assumed there would be a big picture to be tied up in the end. Bleh

Nah, not really. It's a shame he's dead though - I'd have liked to have read more of his work.

I hope they don't go down a Robert Ludlum route of getting someone else to write the rest based on the characters he created though to cash in.

Nah, not really. It's a shame he's dead though - I'd have liked to have read more of his work.

I hope they don't go down a Robert Ludlum route of getting someone else to write the rest based on the characters he created though to cash in.

I read something about how his estate, and thus you would assume the rights to this stuff, is disputed becuase he didn't marry his long term partner.

I read something about how his estate, and thus you would assume the rights to this stuff, is disputed becuase he didn't marry his long term partner.

Yes, i dont think there is much dispute about it, I think it's just that Swedish Law rather bizarrely doesn't cater for common law spouses.

Just finished True Blue by David Baldacci. Have to say I feel he's in a bit of a rut now - this one just fizzled out at the end for me. Not a bad read, but not a patch on his earlier stuff.

Also recently finished Conn Iggulden's Bones of the Hills - the last of the Genghis Khan trilogy. Enjoyed that, although it seemed a long time since I read the previous one and I struggled to place some of the characters initially.

The trilogy is a decent read if you like historical faction.

The last FULL book I read was Harry Potter 7, can't remember when but I'm sure I've read it twice now.

Started a few autobiographys such as Ayrton Senna's and Pele's, but my mum keeps taking them out the bathroom so I never manage to finish them :(

Pele's autobiography is a good read btw if you have never read it.

"Run for your life" by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge.

I only read this book because I was going on a bus journey, had finished my latest book and one of my co-workers offered me it.

Laughable doesn't even begin to describe it. Had I not already read a Colin Forbes book, it would be the worst book I have ever read. Absolute garbage. Almost worth reading just to see how bad it is and it will only take you about an hour as it is very short.

0/10.

"Run for your life" by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge.

I only read this book because I was going on a bus journey, had finished my latest book and one of my co-workers offered me it.

Laughable doesn't even begin to describe it. Had I not already read a Colin Forbes book, it would be the worst book I have ever read. Absolute garbage. Almost worth reading just to see how bad it is and it will only take you about an hour as it is very short.

0/10.

Another steaming mound of co-written shite from the James Patterson crap factory.

I read the first chapter of "Sail" last time I was visiting the folks. I had to put it down. It was making me fucking furious.

Another steaming mound of co-written shite from the James Patterson crap factory.

I read the first chapter of "Sail" last time I was visiting the folks. I had to put it down. It was making me fucking furious.

I read a couple of his Alex Cross books (the second one only to see if the first one was just a rare bad effort) and I thought they were horrendous.

You have to read this one though - it is a bad cop movie script as a book. It has one page chapters split over two pages with a blank page in the middle. The total word count probably doesn't exceed 10,000 words, which is no bad thing.

Amusingly the reviews I've just read on Amazon are pretty positive - you can only wonder what shite people will read.

Recently finished "Call of the Wild" by Guy Grieve, which is about a guy who goes to live in Alaska over winter. I thought it was really good. Well written in a chatty accessible style and with no overplay on the sentimental or dangerous stuff.

Now reading "Friends Like These" by Danny Wallace which is so annoying it's almost unbelieveable.

I wanted to like it. I wanted to like it so much that I've copied the writing style. But it isn't what I thought it would be. It isn't funny or insightful or uplifting. It's the same thing over and over again. And then I had an idea. The idea was this. Why spend part of your life reading this patronising tosh, when there is a X Box waiting in the corner? Fourteen hours later I knew why. I knew that my life was destined to be a rerun of a Danny Wallace book, with a bit of Dave Gorman thrown in for good measure. There and then I knew what I had to do. I had to take the book and flush it down the lavvy in the tiny little toilets at my first primary school in Findochty...*snore*

Recently finished "Call of the Wild" by Guy Grieve, which is about a guy who goes to live in Alaska over winter. I thought it was really good. Well written in a chatty accessible style and with no overplay on the sentimental or dangerous stuff.

Jack London's "The Call of the Wild" is one of my favourite bits of literature. Beautiful stuff. If there's such a thing as required reading it ought to be nestled firmly in the centre. Like a cock made of words between some metaphorical tits... Or something.

Now reading "Friends Like These" by Danny Wallace which is so annoying it's almost unbelieveable.

I wanted to like it. I wanted to like it so much that I've copied the writing style. But it isn't what I thought it would be. It isn't funny or insightful or uplifting. It's the same thing over and over again. And then I had an idea. The idea was this. Why spend part of your life reading this patronising tosh, when there is a X Box waiting in the corner? Fourteen hours later I knew why. I knew that my life was destined to be a rerun of a Danny Wallace book, with a bit of Dave Gorman thrown in for good measure. There and then I knew what I had to do. I had to take the book and flush it down the lavvy in the tiny little toilets at my first primary school in Findochty...*snore*

:lol:

Kudos.

Edited by WendyWho?