Last Book You Read....

H_B

I just recently started reading a series of Lee Childs novels where a Jack Reacher is the main character. Really enjoyed them, although the storylines are far fetched at times th ewriting and twists are good. just wondering if anyone else had read them and had any thoughts/opinions on the books..?

Yeah he doesnt seem like someone that would be a great laugh down the pub but his ability to sniff out a clue or break in an investigation is second to none. Hell of a headbutt on him as well..

Aye, that headbutt is an arguement winner in any pub.

I also like how he just knows what the time is.

I love that. And people always approach it like "how the f**k do you do that ?". "Meh.".

I've read a few of these myself. Not a great fan of the ones written in first person, although I think they're the earlier novels? My favourite is the one with the crazy Mexican girl who tries to get him to kill her husband, can't remember the name though.

Good books. I too love how he knows the time.

The Human Stain ~ Philip Roth

Although I'm something of a fan of Roth's, I found it difficult to fully engage with this novel and consequently found it a wee bit of a slog. One problem was that I struggled to really care enough about the main protagonist; a college professor forced out of his job after being wrongly acused of racism. It's not exactly unusual for there to be a certain degree of ambiguity at the core of Roth's characters, and he doesn't always make them the easiest to like, but I found it hard to muster too much sympathy at all in this instance, regardless of the gross misjustice he was undeniably the victim of. It's difficult to say too much about the novel without giving too much away, but I also never felt that the motives behind the truly life changing decision the principal character made were really fully, or particularly convincingly, explained. However, Roth is such a wonderful writer that, for all the novels flaws, there were still occasions that I couldn't help but admire his sheer stylistic brillance.

All that being said, it was by no means a bad novel, it just stands in pretty poor comparison when judged against some of the other books of his I've read, in particular American Pastoral.

Read them all, big fan. New one due it in a week or so.

I've read the first four or five and I've found them all to be excellent reads so far. I've got more books to read, but haven't got to them yet.

"Doors Open" by Iain Rankine.

Somewhat dull crime thriller set across the backdrop of Edinburgh's art world. Few guys plan an art heist, get involved with local gangster, things turn messy. Blah blah.

Mildly enjoyable, but the characters are, for the most part, one dimensional and very unlikeable. Overall, just a bit meh.

4/10

Yeah, 4/10 is about right. I thought it was very ordinary - doesn't bode well for his post-Rebus career if this is the tat he's going to churn out.

Can only imagine he wrote it on a wet weekend in Morningside.

I'm just about to start reading The Rum Diary by Hunter S, but I'm quite reluctant to do so as I've just finished reading Fear and Loathing and can't see how it'll be any better than that

The two are not really directly comparable, the tone is compeltely different. However, I personally found both to be excellent, the study in rum sodden boredom is just a fantastic read in it's own right.

If you styill enjoy his writings afte reading that, fear and loathing on the campaign trail is a return to his more journalistic roots, whle the great white shark hunt is his collected articles and essays, and a few are absolute belters, particulary his Nixon obsession.

Edited by renton

"Doors Open" by Iain Rankine.

Somewhat dull crime thriller set across the backdrop of Edinburgh's art world. Few guys plan an art heist, get involved with local gangster, things turn messy. Blah blah.

Mildly enjoyable, but the characters are, for the most part, one dimensional and very unlikeable. Overall, just a bit meh.

4/10

Yeah, 4/10 is about right. I thought it was very ordinary - doesn't bode well for his post-Rebus career if this is the tat he's going to churn out.

Can only imagine he wrote it on a wet weekend in Morningside.

I wouldn't disagree too much, maybe 5/10

However, the latest effort, 'The Complaints' is a little better. Rankin returns to 'safe' territory with a decent tale about a Policeman who investigates Police corruption. It jogs along quite the thing and keeps the interest, but it's far from the simmering tension of Rebus at his prime and I wouldn't call it compelling.

6.5/10

Finished 'Misery' by Stephen King last night. This is one of the better ones I've read, trotting along quite nicely. Good idea executed brilliantly. If King's your cup of tea, it's well worth a bash. 7 of 10.

After a mention or two just a day or so ago, I've decided to at last get round to reading 'The Acid House' by Irvine Welsh. Early days.

As for 'Doors Open', I quite enjoyed it, though I can see where others are coming from. On 'The Complaints', my mate was saying the main character had a Rebus feel to him, though I'm yet to get round to it myself to say whether that's fair.