Last Book You Read....

H_B

I've never heard of that one, but I thought Ian Rankin's Watchman was good.

:lol::lol: I just realised i combined the 2 last books a read. Frederick Forsyths "The Afghan" was a good read but "The Watchman" was a great read, it wasnt a Rankin book though, maybe Chris Ryan or someone like that

And still the music plays by Dr Graham Stokes

A book that I heard of through work. It's 22 stories about people with dementia trying to give an understanding of how things are from their perspective. Enlightening at times as I recognise some of the residents I look after in them.

great expectations by charles dickens

sometimes brilliant, sometimes boring, but difficult to understand :o

Dickens is absolutely outstanding. Some of his stuff is funny, some is sad, a good bit of it is anger inducing but it's always thought provoking. For my money he's miles ahead of Shakespeare.

The Watchman by Frederick Forsyth. I enjoyed it anyway

Day of the Jackal is a favourite film and about a year or so ago I got round to reading it. What a great read! The read The Odessa File and that was superb as well. He's quickly becoming a bit of a favourite.

Dickens is superb, mostly. I think Great Expectations is one of his worst (that and Hard Times) though I seem to be in a small minority in that opinion. A Tale of Two Cities, Bleak House, Nicholas Nickleby, The Pickwick Papers, David Copperfield. All greats.

Alistair MacLean's "The Satan Bug"

Rip roaring yarn set over a couple of days where our hero looks for the madman who has stolen the Satan Bug.

There is a reason that so many of MacLean's books were made into films, they are just proper boys own exciting stuff. I'm away to give "Where Eagles Dare" a second reading, such a good read and i got it out of Asda for a pound!!!!

Finished the third and final book in the Conqueror trilogy, "Bones of the Hills". If possible, it was even better than the two that went before it - I'd describe the three of them together as "epic", the best books that I've read in a long time. They've also made me interested in this period of history in general, might do some reading on more factual books about the time.

In a total change of direction, I've started "Pawn of Prophecy" by David Eddings, the first book in his fantasy series "The Belgariad". Seems pretty good so far, only about 100 pages in, though.

Now finished this one along with the second in the series, Queen of Sorcery. Really enjoying them, actually - some of the characters seem a bit like charicatures (sp?) at times, but that's only a minor quibble. Ordered the third from Amazon, but it hasn't turned up yet, which is a bit annoying.

An old favourite. Read the lot of them and the follow up series The Mallorean a few times. Also read the teo Sparhawk series. Kinda grew out of them as I got older but they were good old, swashbuckling, forces of good v forces of evil stuff.

Despite the books getting thicker they're still fairly easy to whizz through (I finished the third one in a matter of days which is most unlike me).

Yeah, I used to be really into that kind of thing when I was younger but haven't read any books of that style in ages. Enjoying them again now, though. Think that I read the Sparrowhawk series back in the day, ages ago now, though. Think I enjoyed them.

Paper Tiger - Tom Coyne 7/10

Story about a guy with a 14 handicap who gives up his job and life , moves down to Florida to attempt to qualify for the PGA Tour.

For 6months, he basically hires a golf coach, a condo and joins a few golf clubs, hoping to make the grade and qualify for the tour through Q-School.

The Book is pretty interesting and quite funny at times, going into a lot of detail about the life of the wannabee/journeyman pro and how difficult it is to be a golfer.

Since my last post, I've finished Magician's Gambit, the third Belgariad book and also The Coronation by Boris Akunin, which is the latest Erast Fandorin book to be translated from Russian into English.

Really enjoyed both - was actually going to leave the Fandorin book until I'd finished the Belgariad, but when one didn't turn up from Amazon for ages I just started it, got hooked and was finished it by the next day. It's like the other Fandorin books, with the character being described as "the Russian James Bond" - great fun, although totally implausible really - but started a bit slower than the others in the series and was maybe hampered a bit by being narrated by a pompous butler guy. I'd give it a 7.5/10.

Magician's Gambit was really good, the same as the first two in the series in that it was really enjoyable if you're into that kind of book - which I am - but if you're not then you'd probably find it shit.

Othello- good, i enjoyed it. i know its a play but still.

You might want to try 'All the Colours of Darkness' by Peter Robinson. Great book, and based on Othello.

You might want to try 'All the Colours of Darkness' by Peter Robinson.

Just read that - very good, though didn't think it was best in series. To a certain extent it felt like a lengthy prologue to the next stage of DCI Banks' career and the next book. Peter Robinson is right up there in British crime authors at the moment and I would recommend any of the 18 Banks' books though they are best read in sequence.

Also just read the first Resnick book 'Lonely Hearts' by John Harvey - an excellent British crime novel. Bought the second and third in the series today and will be working my way through Resnick books in order. Also have the first Frank Elder book by Harvey. I'm struggling as to why I have not got into Harvey at some stage in the past 15 years or so, but it is good finding someone late as you can read a whole series one after the other. I've decided to have a crimewave.

Just read that - very good, though didn't think it was best in series. To a certain extent it felt like a lengthy prologue to the next stage of DCI Banks' career and the next book. Peter Robinson is right up there in British crime authors at the moment and I would recommend any of the 18 Banks' books though they are best read in sequence.

Also just read the first Resnick book 'Lonely Hearts' by John Harvey - an excellent British crime novel. Bought the second and third in the series today and will be working my way through Resnick books in order. Also have the first Frank Elder book by Harvey. I'm struggling as to why I have not got into Harvey at some stage in the past 15 years or so, but it is good finding someone late as you can read a whole series one after the other. I've decided to have a crimewave.

Ditto everything Stewie said. Chronological.