Last Book You Read....

H_B

Just finished re-reading Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer. I couldn't begin to explain what it is about, but it features a blind chauffeur and a dog called Sammy Davis Junior Junior. One of the greatest novels I have ever read. 10/10

Before that, I read Conrad's The Secret Agent. Dull, dull, dull. No storyline whatsoever, some vaguely interesting dialogue and some uninsightful narration. 4/10

I've pretty much exhausted Lee Child, Harlan Coben and Michael Connelly recently.

Some sggestions in a similar vein will be appreciated.

I put my trust in the P&B book club!

James Patterson( check the website for his titles and series and read them in order, also David Baldacci .

Edited by Monkey

Relentless by Simon Kernick.

Complete nonsense, but an entertaining page turner. One phone call to the police at the start would have saved all the trouble the main protagonist eventually endured, so it was difficult to take seriously in the slightest. Good fun though. The bad guys were like cartoon characters. :lol:

Zanzibar by Giles Foden (the same boy that wrote The Last King of Scotland)

A marine biologist and bird he wants to bone get embroiled in a terrorist plot on the tropical island of Zanzibar. Took me ages to get into it and as soon as I did, it got boring again. I think Foden was trying to get into the mind of the terrorist rather than trying to write an interesting novel.

3/10

Relentless by Simon Kernick.

Complete nonsense, but an entertaining page turner. One phone call to the police at the start would have saved all the trouble the main protagonist eventually endured, so it was difficult to take seriously in the slightest. Good fun though. The bad guys were like cartoon characters. :lol:

It was also fairly predictable. Although I read it in a matter of hours.

• 2 weeks later...

Roy Shaw - Prettyboy, 10/10

The original guv'nor tells of his crimes, time behind bars, his rise to fame as an unlicensed bare knuckle boxing champ and of his famous battles with Lenny Mclean. Great entertaing read.

i read one about flying bird/children?? found it a bit wierd (the lake house i think it was) put me off his work a bit.

I've read that too ,and agree it was a bit wierd. However the Alex Cross detective novels are first class. Only thing to remember is to not read them when you go to bed during the week as you'll be walking about your work in the morning with eyes that look like piss holes in the snow. Honestly, you cannot put these books down once you've started reading them.

Andy McLaren - Tormented.

A genuine and honest account of a man and his human failings. Honestly believes he could have gone on to better things as a player if he hadn't succumbed to his vices, but isn't bitter about it. Seems to have a positive outlook all the way through, and I enjoyed it to the point where I actually begun to empathise and like the man. :)

This book should be compulsory reading for every promising young Scottish player who signs a contract at a professional club. It seems Andy has been asked and is willing to talk to groups of young pros about the pitfalls of a career in football and that will hopefully make a big difference to their careers.

I can't wait to meet him next week. :D

Andy McLaren - Tormented.

A genuine and honest account of a man and his human failings. Honestly believes he could have gone on to better things as a player if he hadn't succumbed to his vices, but isn't bitter about it. Seems to have a positive outlook all the way through, and I enjoyed it to the point where I actually begun to empathise and like the man. :)

This book should be compulsory reading for every promising young Scottish player who signs a contract at a professional club. It seems Andy has been asked and is willing to talk to groups of young pros about the pitfalls of a career in football and that will hopefully make a big difference to their careers.

I can't wait to meet him next week. :D

I'm going to ask for that book for my Christmas, I like Andy Mclaren.

I'm currently reading Alex Higgins book, From the eye of the hurricane.

Half way through and it has been an excellent read so far.

Also, has anyone read a book about a little seaside/boardwalk/fairground town in America that used to be quite illustrious but had been taken over by vagrants that the locals called 'Trolls'?

I saw an episode of the Simpsons like that and it reminded me of the book but I cant remember the book's title.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Edit:- A wee bit of googling has came up with Funland by Richard Laymon.

Edited by AndyC27/11

I have loads of books to read:

A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian - Marina Lewycka

Tokyo Year Zero - David Peace

Cold Granite - Stuart McBride

I started reading Mao: The Untold Story by Jung Chang but found it pretty boring to be honest. I think I will start Tokyo Year Zero today.