Last Book You Read....

H_B

Not too bad, interesting, possible more so as i am from falkirk and know a few Shire fans. 6/10

The Bretheren - John Grisham

You've got to admit that his knowledge was really poor, at one point I'm sure he said that there were 3 teams in Angus. :lol:

The Exception - Christian Jurgensen.

An absolutely fantastic book, one of the best I've ever read. It's about four women who work in the Danish Centre for Genocide Information, a research centre/library for those researching and writing about the history of Genocide. The story begins with two of the women, the University educated researchers Ibena nd Malene, recieving threatening emails they think from a Serb war criminal they have written about. It soon becomes clear that everything in their ostensibly well meaning place of work isn't as it seems. The librarian, Anne-Lise, feels she is being horribly bullied by the two younger women and is having her life driven into a complete misery by this. She states her feelings on this and sets in train confrontation and pyschological warfare that profoundly changes all the women and the centre.

It's a truly fantastic, gripping book. Each chapter is told from a different women's point of view and the first few concentrate on Iben and Malene, you think it's going to be a more run-of-the-mill whodunit until the first chapter from Anne-Lise's perspective. When you read it the creeping realisation that the perspective of the first few chapters has missed the whole sinister underlying tension of the office is chilling, really very creepy and unsettling. I suppose in a way the book could be seen as depressing as when you develop sympathy with one character, a side is revealed that can disabuse you of the notion of 'hero' or 'villian' in a novel.

The book is also interesting in it's treatment of the psychology of groups, even groups of two or three, and how it relates this to the mass murder and atrocities the characters research in their work. It's unsettling to think that the casual office bullying that goes on can be linked to Srebrinica but the book makes the point, subtley, that the motivations and justifications aren't so different.

I would absolutely recommend it a million percent.

My gift to you:

'Escaping Greenock:How to stop eating rats and get a job' by Salman Rushdie. ;)

I tried finding it on Amazon: it wasn't there. :unsure:

And to think i walked all the way to Gourock at this time of night as well... :rolleyes::lol:

last book i read was a couple of weeks back: Fleshmarket Close by Ian Rankin, it's one of the Rebus series. It was a great book to read. anyone else read it by any chance?

I'll get there eventually, only up to The Hanging Garden (the 9th, to Fleshmarket's 15). I read from the beginning to there with very little else in between, so having a wee break before I get stuck back into the rest of them.

Little face- about abduction, murder and mystery. Fantastic book 9/10

Vanishing Acts- Jodi Piccult. Second of hers I have read and it was a really good read. 9.10

A French Affair- Susan Lewis. This would have been a great book if she had ended it 6 chapters earlier. Unfortunatly she dragged on after the twist reveal and it really did effect the overal enjoyment. 7/10

Guest johnjag

"Groucho and Me". The autobiography of Groucho Marx.

Right from the off the author warns us not to expect to learn anything about him but to expect a lot of unreliable yarns, Groucho- style patter and the occasional rant. He is true to his word.

If you want learn anything about the brothers try Harpo's autobiography (either "Harpo Speaks" or "Harpo Talks", I can't remember which) which is an excellent read.

Marley and Me by John Grogan. Was brilliant. Anyone who has ever owned a dog should read this book. I cried most of the way through it because it reminded me so much of my wee dog. It was really good. :)