Last Book You Read....

H_B

Currently reading

nikki sixx biography .. An education in rebellion

before that the last book I read was Motley Crue The Dirt

Is The Dirt really as repulsive as the music press say?

Oh, and just finished Back from the Brink by Paul McGrath. Brutally honest, magnificent piece of work. To the current crop of over-rated England internationals, read, digest & understand before considering whether anyone would like to share your vacuous, self-important thoughts on justifying being average & and avaricious. No punches pulled. And he was ten times the player any of you fúckers could ever hope to be even when he was blitzed.

The Chancellor Manuscript - Robert Ludlum

Was surprised to really enjoy this, as I read the first couple of chapters of one of his Bourne books and it was pish.

This was excellently written though and involved a well written conspiracy around the end of J Edgar Hoover's reign at the FBI.

Today I finished City Psychos - Four decades of terrace terror by Shaun Tordoff 8/10

The author tells of his time and adventures as a leading "face" in the City Psychos of Hull City or the Hulltras as they were also known. Interesting look at football hooliganism and what makes them tick. I enjoyed the bit when they went on holiday to America and went to an irish bar and got a kicking as one of the boys was wearing a rangers top :lol:

Edited by uberman

American Psycho - the scenes of violence are easily the most horrific I have ever read. You love it if you're into that sort of stuff. Otherwise, it gets a bit bogged down in endlessly parrotting off what his mates are wearing, what he's having for breakfast and why Phil Collins is a genius.

The Last King of Scotland - it's fairly different to the film, and quite odd in that the 'hero' is a very flawed individual. It's a brilliant insight into what it must be like to live in a country with a dictator, and what an psychotic tyrant Idi Admin was.

Guest Five and Twenty Past

A Leap in the Dark: The Struggle for the American Republic.

A fairly academic account of the British Colonies in North America between 1750 and 1800. Puts the Revolution in its context and then goes on to show that negative campaigning is by no means nothing new.

Unforgivable Blackness - The Rise And Fall Of Jack Johnson ~ Geoffrey C. Ward

Sounds like an interesting story to me, might have to go and find that.

American Psycho - the scenes of violence are easily the most horrific I have ever read. You love it if you're into that sort of stuff. Otherwise, it gets a bit bogged down in endlessly parrotting off what his mates are wearing, what he's having for breakfast and why Phil Collins is a genius.

The Last King of Scotland - it's fairly different to the film, and quite odd in that the 'hero' is a very flawed individual. It's a brilliant insight into what it must be like to live in a country with a dictator, and what an psychotic tyrant Idi Admin was.

My girlfriend read both books recently. She loved American Psycho. She's a bit of a horror fan and the violence didn't put her off at all. Prefered the LKoS film over the book but she still enjoyed it.

As for myself, I read The Real Monty, Colin Montgomerie's autobiography recently. I'm not a golf fan but I still found it interesting. Learnt a lot of his younger days in America and his Youth and Amateur careers before going on to talk about his Order of Merits and Ryder Cup appearances as well as his marraige troubles.

Popcorn by Ben Elton and Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone, both easy reads and enjoyable enough with it. Forced into the latter by my girlfriend who loves everything about the series - you can tell it's written for a much younger audience.

Currently reading "How They Stole The Game" by David Wallop. Largely about the life of former FIFA President Joao Havelange, it provides great insight into this man's thinking and illustrates the often large differences between what he says and the reality. His ego makes Sepp Blatter's look like a mouse to his elephant.

Popcorn by Ben Elton and Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone, both easy reads and enjoyable enough with it. Forced into the latter by my girlfriend who loves everything about the series - you can tell it's written for a much younger audience.

If you follow the series, you'll find that changes. As the characters mature, so does the writing.