H_B

Another few from me over the past few weeks:

Slaughterhouse 5 - Kurt Vonnegut

The Bluest Eye - Toni Morrison 

Striped PJs - John Boyle

Enduring Love -Ian McEwan

Tenth Man - Graham Greene

Cats Cradle - Kurt Vonnegut

Enjoying Vonneguts stuff (all new to me, B of Champs coming up). Didn’t really enjoy McEwan but the missus forced me to read it (as did the bairn for the striped PJs).

Did f**k all reading when I was younger so trying to make up for it before approaching the fiery abyss.

37 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Enjoying Vonneguts stuff (all new to me, B of Champs coming up). Didn’t really enjoy McEwan but the missus forced me to read it (as did the bairn for the striped PJs).

Did f**k all reading when I was younger so trying to make up for it before approaching the fiery abyss.

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Striped PJs - John Boyle

I'm slowly working through Vonnegut's books about 2 or 3 a year. There's not one that I've not enjoyed yet.

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/03/2023 at 15:20, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Striped PJs - John Boyle

I really liked Slaughterhouse 5, it was years ago I read it but I thought it was great

On 30/03/2023 at 13:20, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Striped PJs - John Boyle

Did you enjoy the Graham Greene book?

This year I’ve read Our Man In Havana, and The End of The Affair, both by him and both completely differently written books. He seemed to do some pretty serious subjects then much lighter books.  Enjoyed both right enough. 

Currently making my way through Brighton Rock. 

15 minutes ago, Internet Citizen said:

This year I’ve read Our Man In Havana, and The End of The Affair, both by him and both completely differently written books. He seemed to do some pretty serious subjects then much lighter books.  Enjoyed both right enough. 

I did. I have an eye on Brighton Rock so let me know how that goes. The missus also recommended Our Man in Havana and the Power and the Glory.

10 minutes ago, Internet Citizen said:

I love Greene but still haven’t read probably half his stuff. I enjoyed Brighton Rock but found it really quite unsettling. I did my English higher book report on it  but read it again a couple of years ago; I can’t remember another book with such a feeling of menace throughout. 

I read the end of the affair fairly recently and was stuck by the pure craft of the writing. Don’t really recall the story too well but the telling was great.

I think he’s at his best in a fading colonial setting. Our man in Havana you’ve mentioned but also The Quiet American and (my current favourite) The honorary consul. Not as farcical as  our man in Havana but equally as ludicrous and seedy.

16 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

I did. I have an eye on Brighton Rock so let me know how that goes. The missus also recommended Our Man in Havana and the Power and the Glory.

Power and the Glory fits into that “fading colonial setting” bracket. It’s been a while but i really enjoyed that one too. 

The 50 Year Mission by Edward Gross. Essentially the story of how all the Star Trek shows and movies were made. Expect some of this to appear in the Fun Facts thread in future. 

Quick summary: everyone who was ever involved in making Star Trek was a complete and utter bellend, with the exceptions of Gene L. Coon and Ron Moore. 

My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante.

It's the first of four Neapolitan novels.  Set in the 50s and 60s in a poor part of Naples it follows the tale of two intelligent girls growing up in difficult circumstances.  Interesting enough, but a bit of a slog in truth.  I can't see me reading the others.

The Biggest Bluff by Maria Konnikova. She set herself a challenge to go from complete poker beginner to competing in the WSOP main event in one year . This book chronicles her personal development along the way , a truly compelling behavioural and psychological study. Absolutely no requirement to know or care anything about poker to enjoy it .