Last Book You Read....

H_B

Jack Reacher, The Sentinel.

Never read any of these before. My wife picked it up at our hotel on Monday as something to dwindle the time before we could check in. 

Finished it the next day, absolutely loved it. Will need to devour the entire series now.

Just started the Bono autobiography - Surrender which I'm enjoying a lot more than I thought I would. 

Went for the Audible version which I know is cheating but works well with him reading out his own words. 

"shadowman" by margaret kirk,a by-numbers detective yarn.its set in inverness and by f**k doesnt she let you know it,constantly name dropping local places,whats particulary annoying about this is its very clear she doesnt know the place very well.and i dont know how accurate her police procedurals are but she also clearly knows f**k all about the local jail

54 minutes ago, highlandcowden said:

"shadowman" by margaret kirk,a by-numbers detective yarn.its set in inverness and by f**k doesnt she let you know it,constantly name dropping local places,whats particulary annoying about this is its very clear she doesnt know the place very well.and i dont know how accurate her police procedurals are but she also clearly knows f**k all about the local jail

TM-Torture_chair.thumb.jpg.e78f9cd0d2dfee22f1e759dbee637af3.jpg

On 03/02/2023 at 11:09, ICTChris said:

Went to the launch of my friend's latest novel last night, In Ascension by Martin MacInnes.  Looking forward to reading it - I'm biased but I don't think there are any writers like Martin, the literary-science/speculative fiction he produces is unique.

Guardian review of the novel - https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/jan/22/in-ascension-by-martin-macinnes-review-a-deep-dive-into-sea-and-space

Buy it here - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ascension-Martin-MacInnes/dp/1838956247

I fancy reading that, what did you think?

9 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

How recent?

I'm a big fan of Jake Arnott. Most of his books are set in London.

Id like to read something set post 2010 but just checked out who jake is and I liked the Long Firm on TV so might give one of his books a try, thanks!

Im still looking for other recommendations as I am making a list of books to read for the year

Edited by ScotiaNostra

Bone Silence- Alastair Reynolds

Space Sci fi set in the distant future where the current civilisation uses old tech without fully understanding it. Has a sort of pirate adventure vibe. 
 Interesting take on the Ancient alien trope but didn’t really do it for me. Maybe if I’d read books 1 & 2 in the trilogy I’d have enjoyed it more. 

Straight Shooter: A Memoir of Second Chances and First Takes by Stephen A. Smith.

I love Stephen A. Smith. He's in my mind the best sports journalist working and First Take is one of my favourite TV shows (which I watch religiously when I'm off work for any reason). This is his inspirational story. An incredible life lived and I imagine much more to give.

• 2 weeks later...

The Mating Season by PG Wodehouse.

Typical Jeeves and Wooster storyline and as always hilarious. Written in 1949 at the height of his feud with AA Milne, he takes quite a few digs at him in the text. His books are as close to perfect as comedy writing gets.

The First Kingdom (Britain in the time of King Arthur) by Max Adams.

as mentioned in the history thread. Pretty good overview of the archeology and borderline historical sources for the first couple of centuries in Britain after the Romans left up to the formation of the better known kingdoms. The King Arthur angle is hardly there and is probably mentioned just to sell more than twenty copies. Informative and interesting more than enjoyable.

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

Wolf Hall.

Excellent book. Written in many ways in the style of John le Carre, with much done in flashback, but very engaging indeed. 

I started it months ago and am only 300 pages in. If you haven't already done so, get onto iPlayer and savour the delights of the BBC's excellent dramatisation. Mark Rylance is outstanding as Cromwell and outstanding cast too.

51 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

I started it months ago and am only 300 pages in. If you haven't already done so, get onto iPlayer and savour the delights of the BBC's excellent dramatisation. Mark Rylance is outstanding as Cromwell and outstanding cast too.

I did watch it when it was on - I find books are always better than the adaptations.