Last Book You Read....

H_B

1 hour ago, FK1Bairn said:

The latest Rebus book. Bit meh but I really really hope Rankin stops milking the Rebus name and puts him out to pasture. 

I always thought that if he wanted to keep going back, write some stories about him as a young copper in the 70s. No need to have an octogenarian wheezing his way through a novel. 

Qarabag: The Team Without a City by Emanuele Giulianelli.

A really interesting look at the conflict between Azerbaijan and Armenia and a football team who went from having their home city being wiped off the face of the earth to reaching the group stages of the Champions League. 

First Blood by David Morrell 

This is the book that spawned the Rambo franchise.

A decent read, though not too challenging. I read it in a couple of sittings. 

It's broadly similar to the film but with a few crucial differences. Rambo is far more violent and far less sympathetic than in the film. There's a much higher body count. 

I'd say the book is better, well worth checking out if you're a fan of the films.

On 06/01/2023 at 18:13, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

Totally this. There's a character in a Chris Brookmyre book whos talking to his old English teacher and says that maybe a book about teuchter farmers raping their kids is maybe not the best book to get Scottish kids into literature. 

He has a point.

Sunset song?

I've just finished Dune by Frank Herbert.

It was a bit of a slog. Everything was building up to a crescendo that lasted about 25 pages.

I do think though that George Lucas ripped it right off for star wars and after some looking online it appears that he was lucky Herbert never sued.

Anyway, just started the satsuma complex by Bob Mortimer and already enjoying it 

10 hours ago, Oystercatcher said:

It was a bit of a slog. Everything was building up to a crescendo that lasted about 25 pages.

I do think though that George Lucas ripped it right off for star wars and after some looking online it appears that he was lucky Herbert never sued.

Anyway, just started the satsuma complex by Bob Mortimer and already enjoying it 

I read it again recently too and agree with this. 

Interestingly, folk accused Glen A Larson of ripping off Star Wars when he made Battlestar Galactica. Harlan Ellison called him "Glen Larceny"

Just discovered a new Bret Easton Ellis is out. The Shards sounds like it's a mock autobiography, which I think he's done already with Lunar Park, about a serial killer, which depending on your interpretation he's kinda done already with American Psycho, set in 1980s LA, which sounds a lot like Less Than Zero, and is a bloated 700+ pages, which reminds me of Glamorama. Still bought it.

19 hours ago, Oystercatcher said:

The problem with that theory, is that Lucas ripped of Kurasawa’s 1958 “The Hidden Fortess”, while Dune was published in 1965.