Last Book You Read....

H_B

On 23/10/2022 at 17:08, RH33 said:

New Rebus.

Meh.

I've got this still to read on my kindle. I'm a fan of the Rebus series but the impression from the last few books is Rankin's struggling to put Rebus to rest and the books are suffering as a result

22 minutes ago, FK1Bairn said:

I've got this still to read on my kindle. I'm a fan of the Rebus series but the impression from the last few books is Rankin's struggling to put Rebus to rest and the books are suffering as a result

Very much so.

I'll not spoil it but ending is set up for a couple more books but he's really flogged a dead horse now.

13 hours ago, FK1Bairn said:

Same here. The guy has been retired for decades by now but keeps coming back for one more case. 

I'm finally working my way through the Rebus collection I built up ten years ago. Just finished "Let it Bleed" released in the early to mid 90s and Rebus is already an old b*****d. Had Exit Music on my shelf for years as well, written in 2007 so to think he's still stoating about surely into his late 70s is quite the thing.

23 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

The Last Quarter of the Moon - Chi Zijian.

A multi-generational story of the Evenki tribe who live in the Manchurian mountains just south of the Russian/Soviet border.

Lots of tales of hunting, fishing, fucking, fights, love conquered and love forlorn, shamen, traders, soldiers, enough reindeer chat to last you a decade and a couple of incidents of adult castration.

No need to go to Manchuria to research source material.  Chi Zijian has obviously been to Coatbridge................

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/11/2022 at 22:35, Craig fae the Vale said:

The Passenger by Cormac McCarthy.

Absolutely superb. A welcome return from the master of American fiction.

I'm about halfway through. I love how he is working in elements from his previous novels. 

I was a bit worried it would be sub standard but it's been good. The Bob Dylan book is fantastic as well. Old white guys knocking it out the park. Step up next please Mr Pynchon.

A 2 star review of The Passenger in the Metro last week said it was 400 pages of no plot, no characters, and felt like 400 pages of McCarty trying to cram as much as he could into a book with nothing but extended musings on philosophy and the world. Sounded right up my alley.

• 2 weeks later...

Girls Who Lie by Eva Björg Ægisdóttir.

The Creak on the Stairs was always going to be a hard act to follow, but Ægisdóttir has done it superbly. An excellent mystery, wrapped up beautifully. Can't wait to continue the series and see what crimes fall on Akranes and Elma next.

On 04/11/2022 at 19:36, scottsdad said:

Same here. The guy has been retired for decades by now but keeps coming back for one more case. 

Rankin should read the latest Lee Child/ Andrew Child Reacher book to see how bad things can get if you flog the dead horse too long. Time to let Rebus go.