Last Book You Read....

H_B

Edge of the grave by Robbie Morrison 

Tartan noir in 30s Glasgow. Dark in places and very funny in places to break it up. Interesting to read about the industrialists financing promising athletes. 

Enjoyed this book and looking forward to the second effort. 

Moon Witch, Spider King

By Marlon James

Reads a bit like one of those 70s film-to-book adaptations like The Omen. Decent enough but at times it feels more like a film script (it’s already getting made into a tv show). An African Game of Thrones really. This is the second part of the trilogy but really the same story told by a different character (Moon Witch). He’s such a frank and earthy writer underneath the huge worlds he builds.

Still think A Brief History of Seven Killings is his best work by some distance.

7 minutes ago, Internet Citizen said:

How is it so far? I’ve read Alone In Berlin and was thinking of picking up another of his books as I really enjoyed it. 

The Drinker is about a business mans descent into alcoholism written in first person. Supposedly it is semi-autobiographical. I am quite enjoying it so far.

Little Man, What Now? and Nightmare In Berlin are other books of his I have read which were good.

Alone In Berlin is probably the best of the books of his I've read.

A few years ago I attempted to read Wolf Among Wolves and ended up putting it aside. I will come back to it though. It is VERY long.

Soldier of the Great War by Mark Helprin

Historical novel, I guess "sweeping" would be the adjective used in book reviews. 

A 70 yr old veteran of WW1 finds himself walking 60miles to Rome with an illiterate young factory worker. He tells the young man his life story which swings between comedic and tragic repeatedly, filled with characters that will stay with you forever. Beautiful dialogue and prose.

10/10....just finished my fourth reading, it is that fucking good. Best fiction book I've ever read. Various big name actors and directors have been trying to get this onto cinema screens / HBO for about 20 years. 

Anyone tried Kevin Bridges' first fiction novel 'The Black Dog'? 

I'm intrigued by it but also very aware that it could be absolutely shite. Early reviews on Amazon are pretty mixed. 

On 25/08/2022 at 03:24, Craig fae the Vale said:

A Prayer for the Crown Shy by Becky Chambers. 

Just like everything she writes, this is utterly superb.

Is there one of hers you would recommend as an introduction to her work?

3 hours ago, MSU said:

Is there one of hers you would recommend as an introduction to her work?

I'd start with the first in the Wayfayrers series The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet. There's four in the series, but they're all only vaguely linked so can be read in any order. 

The Miseducation of Cameron Post by Emily M Danforth.

Self indulgent rubbish. An unlikeable and unsympathetic protagonist, unlikely and unbelievable storyline, especially given the setting and time frame. Somehow both overwritten and under written simultaneously. Not recommended.