Last Book You Read....

H_B

Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens.

A girl is abandoned by family and left to live alone in a shack on the edges of a marsh in North Carolina, giving rise to her being called the marsh girl by distrustful locals. Throw in a murder mystery and I felt there were slight echoes of To Kill a Mockingbird.

Can't recommend this book highly enough. It takes you on an emotional rollercoaster while also having lyrical passages describing the wildlife and natural beauty of the marsh.

Everyman (Philip Roth) and The Lay of the Land (Richard Ford). Both outstanding. One short, one long, both set in New Jersey and both wonderful illuminations of the human condition.

• 2 weeks later...

Heaven & Hell: My Life in the Eagles by Don Felder. Recommended, I think, by @WhiteRoseKillie.

Having recently read the Grohl autobiography I cannot help but compare them - I found Felder's a more in-depth read. Probably because Dave Grohl's book carries on the theme that he cannot believe how successful he is and who he has met (which makes a good read) but it is clearly written from a guy at the very top. Felder had that and then it all turned sour. So there was a lot of the deterioration of his relationship with Glenn Frey here, how he lost everything he had, that added an extra dimension. 

Felder himself doesn't come across all that well either, to be honest. Particularly with his ex-wife - spent years on the road shagging anything that moved while she stayed at home with the kids. When she gets a career and leaves him in the house all day, he divorces her and shacks up with a bird 20 years younger than him. 

But still, very fascinating book. Interesting take on the rock scene in the 70s. 

On 09/05/2022 at 22:47, Blootoon87 said:

The Grapes Of Wrath by John Steinbeck. What a relentlessly miserable book.

A very long time since my Steinbeck phase but I think I recall one comic moment. Young brother Joad takes the family cow to be serviced by a neighbour's bull. Watching the action with the neighbour's daughter, the young lad says wistfully, "I wish I was doing that" to which the smartarse girl replies, "Why not? It's your cow."

Also ends on a bizarre, but upbeat, note when the previously self-obsessed daughter breast-feeds a starving man. 

Edited by Thane of Cawdor
Punctuation matters.

41 minutes ago, Craig the Hunter said:

Sea of Tranquility by Emily St John Mandel.

Wonderful. Beautifully written, compelling characters and a fantastic twist. Mandel has become an author who I will read anything she writes.

I'm exactly the same. Thought this was a bit of a return to form following The Glass Hotel, which I only kinda liked. Just an amazing storyteller.