Last Book You Read....

H_B

Finished The Splendid and the Vile by Erik Larsen, this is about a year with Winston Churchill during the Blitz. Larsen is an excellent researcher and it reads like a novel a lot of the time. Don’t think this is quite as gripping as Devil In The White City or his book on the Lusitania but still very good.

Was looking for a fun, easy to read crime novel and just started The Darker Arts by Oscar de Muriel. Had never heard of the Frey and McGray series but they have good ratings on Goodreads. Have enjoyed the start and looking forward to finding a new series to get into.

Just finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

Given its subject, I'm sure it was meant to be a relentless slog, and it was.  

Big themes and ideas abound, but I didn't find the prose as impressive as I'm apparently supposed to, going by reviews.  

Big themes and ideas abound, but I didn't find the prose as impressive as I'm apparently supposed to, going by reviews.  
Have you read anything else by him? Blood Meridian and Child of God are fantastic books. McCarthy is possibly the only writer who could make a murdering necrophile a sympathetic character. It was made into a film too and is worth a watch if you can find it. James Franco also had the film rights to Blood Meridian but said that if he were to make it true to the book it would never get a certificate allowing it to be shown. Anywhere.

7 hours ago, blackislekillie said:
8 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Have you read anything else by him? Blood Meridian and Child of God are fantastic books. McCarthy is possibly the only writer who could make a murdering necrophile a sympathetic character. It was made into a film too and is worth a watch if you can find it. James Franco also had the film rights to Blood Meridian but said that if he were to make it true to the book it would never get a certificate allowing it to be shown. Anywhere.

No, this was my debut.

Thanks for the recommendation.  I might give Blood Meridian a go, but will probably leave it a while.

When making homebrew I found Wilbur Smith's Monsoon in the back of a cupboard. 

It's one of my favourite books of his, a fantastic bit of storytelling; not blind to the fact that the women in the book are beautiful and all fall madly in love with the two main male characters. Or some of the sweeping generalisations about African tribesmen. You have to take the bad with the good with Smith's books. 

5 hours ago, Craig the Hunter said:

Sing Backwards and Weep by Mark Lanegan. 

Was inspired to read this due to Lanegan's untimely passing. Raw, unflinching and bleak but an utterly compelling read. It's a real shame there won't be a follow up documenting his post rehab life and career.

I had no idea he'd died ! Seen him a few times , might have to check this out.  

They Said They Wanted Revolution by Neda Toloui-Semnani.

I really enjoyed the first 75% of the book which talked about the author's family escaping the Iranian Revolution in the early 80s. But I struggled with the last part, which were diary entries about her life, I found it a bit self-indulgent and not in keeping with the tone of the first part.