Last Book You Read....

H_B

On 06/01/2022 at 10:25, JamesP_81 said:

Just finished Dave Grohl's The storyteller.  Barely a chapter went by without me being inspired to dig out old records , go looking for obscure ones , pick up the guitar or get behind the drum kit.  A brilliant read.  

That's my next dead-tree read, after I finish Bob Mortimer's And Away... Looking forward to it - more so now I've seen you post that bit in bold.

Currently tearing through Dopesick by Beth Macy on the Kindle. A gruelling but compelling read. I fancy the author's first book (Factory Man)next.

Was wondering how folk consume books and how many you have on the go at once?

I've usually got four on the go at any one time.

1. Audiobook that my wife and I listen to on our shared commute.

2. Audiobook for when I'm in the car on my own.

3. Physical book for reading before bed.

4. Kindle app on my phone for before work and if I'm super quiet at work.

I know this seems like a lot, but it works for me.

I like to try and have a queue of 3 or 4 books to get through at any time . If I get to the end of that pile I have back up reading in the shape of easy readers that family have dropped off on us or at the moment my back up is re-reading the LotR books.  Have never been a fan of e or audiobooks , my audio time is for podcasts or music.  I might pause a fiction to read a nonfiction (or vice versa) but generally wouldn't be reading them at the same time.  

I have been using the library to read physical books as I have found, over the years, to much prefer that over the Kindle. I find I read more but it does take away the option of reading in bed as my wife is always asleep before me and I can’t have the light on.

We are moving back to Asia again in the summer so no point in buying physical books so the library is a great option.

I listen to an audiobook while running but I struggle to get through them and have 2 Audible credits unused.

Almost always audiobooks. I only really read physical books if it's a subject I'm very interested in.
Just one at a time as well. I've been listening to a lot of history audiobooks recently which cover many different countries at once and/or significant lengths of time. It's hard enough to keep up with just one, nevermind having several on the go at once.

Mostly read on the Kindle these days, which is the best piece of tech I've ever had - currently on my eighth, due to upgrades and the occasional accident. Still massively cost-effective, given I get through at least one, possibly two, books a week. Also a godsend when traveling,as a few kilos of paperbacks suitably becomes something which fits on your jeans pocket.
I still get a few traditional, "dead tree" books as well, either because the work isn't available on Kindle or simply because I can't take the Kindle to work for security reasons, so i have to get a low-tech solution for break times.
I have honestly never got the love for audio books as, similarly to the way films never show the same pictured as your internal movie screen, you will have a pre-conceived idea of each characters voice, and that of the narrator if there is one. Car and dog walking soundtrack is provided by podcasts normally

Audible nooks on holiday if I'm just lying on a sunbed or on a flight itself.

At home I tend to use my Kindle but occasionally use the real thing - usually because I've been given them by Mum - usually historical stuff or biographies which intended have maps and/or photographs to support.

On 07/01/2022 at 20:19, Craig the Hunter said:

Being an old fashioned kind of lad then it's always an actual book for me , I just think it's the most comfortable way to read ,

Mostly on paper from the library occasionally have one on the kindle app on my phone. Broadly alternating fiction and non fiction, one at a time. If i take on a heavier than usual fictional book i'll usually drop in some genre stuff (sci fi, crime thriller) before picking up anything else serious. Occasional (and reducing) comics/graphic novels in between sometimes as well. 

A pretty good read, the guy had an incredible insight to football and of course fantastic player, this focuses a bit too heavily on his criticism of the setups at Ajax and Holland as opposed to his career but still a worthy read.20220109_225358.thumb.jpg.de83e0ba54ec60bfe84f6330851e6820.jpg
I gave up on that book, thought he came across as a complete w****r in it. Took credit for everything and blame for nothing.
The bit that stands out most was when he was helping coach a local special needs team in America and went to the chairman to tell him he was chucking it as the bairns weren't playing how he wanted them to.

17 minutes ago, Blootoon87 said:

I gave up on that book, thought he came across as a complete w****r in it. Took credit for everything and blame for nothing.
The bit that stands out most was when he was helping coach a local special needs team in America and went to the chairman to tell him he was chucking it as the bairns weren't playing how he wanted them to.

Did he not invent both Barcelona and Ajax?

Oh, and Holland.

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.
Been meaning to read this for years and it was free on Audible so gave it a go. Disappointing. A bit like Dune I liked the story but couldn't get into the writing. Felt very dated. Worth trying but not really for me.

I thought it was decent. Maybe a little short and didn't fulfil its potential but worth a read. Been meaning to read it again since I read a bit about Huxley supporting eugenics. Having said that it was fairly common to believe in eugenics at the time so perhaps it's not much of a surprise.

Can anyone recommended any other dystopian novels?
Already read 1984 and Fahrenheit 451. Got Slaughterhouse Five & Station 11 on my "to read list" but was looking for some other suggestions.

1 hour ago, Craig the Hunter said:

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.

Been meaning to read this for years and it was free on Audible so gave it a go. Disappointing. A bit like Dune I liked the story but couldn't get into the writing. Felt very dated. Worth trying but not really for me.

I quite enjoyed it , loved some of the ideas that were going on tho I did feel it kind fizzled out a bit in the 2nd half . Get what u mean with it feeling a bit dated but tbf it's pushing 100 years old . 

14 minutes ago, charger29 said:

I thought it was decent. Maybe a little short and didn't fulfil its potential but worth a read. Been meaning to read it again since I read a bit about Huxley supporting eugenics. Having said that it was fairly common to believe in eugenics at the time so perhaps it's not much of a surprise.

Can anyone recommended any other dystopian novels?
Already read 1984 and Fahrenheit 451. Got Slaughterhouse Five & Station 11 on my "to read list" but was looking for some other suggestions.

The Book Thief is excellent , would highly recommended it. Very dark and such a clever take on a pretty grim subject.  I would say The Man in the High Castle is also worth a read , tho possibly suffers the same as Brave New World in that it feels like it finishes just as it could be getting going. 

The Book Thief is excellent , would highly recommended it. Very dark and such a clever take on a pretty grim subject.  I would say The Man in the High Castle is also worth a read , tho possibly suffers the same as Brave New World in that it feels like it finishes just as it could be getting going. 

Cheers. Will have a look at both of them.
I didn't realise The Man in the High Castle was originally a novel. I was thinking about watching the TV series a few weeks ago.