Last Book You Read....

H_B

ZeroZeroZero

Roberto Saviano (him who wrote Gomorrah La Serie and lives in permanent hiding from the mafia. This was made into a drama for TV (see it on Sky Atlantic) but the book is a non-fiction look at the drugs trade and how it gets its tentacles into everyday life. Even sleepy RBS gets blasted for its role in laundering narco/Russian mafia money. 

19 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:
1 hour ago, The DA said:
I made the mistake of reading the paperback Spanky on the bus on the way to work.  I've managed to get a seat to myself ever since.  Would read again.
BTW B&M has been an excellent series.  I've got Oranges and Lemons lined up for September (it's tradishniul, OK?) but I believe it has the hint of an ending to the series so I'm a bit conflicted.

Be fair - the PCU is under threat of closure in every book. Plus Bryant and May must be about a hundred and fifty by now, and still going strong.

Let's just say that I identify just a little...

On 15/07/2021 at 13:49, MSU said:

Been on a bit of a binge over the last week or so.

The Glass Hotel by Emily St John Mandel -- follow up to Station Eleven. It's probably my least favourite of hers. Beautifully written but way too much navel gazing about the operation of a failed Ponzi scheme. 3/5

See, I really liked The Glass Hotel. Thought the character work was excellent. Haven't read Station Eleven yet, but it is in my ever growing to read pile.

1 hour ago, Craig the Hunter said:

See, I really liked The Glass Hotel. Thought the character work was excellent. Haven't read Station Eleven yet, but it is in my ever growing to read pile.

If I hadn’t read her other work and loved it so much I’m sure I would’ve enjoyed The Glass Hotel more, and there’s still plenty to admire in it. I’ll be interested in your thoughts on Station Eleven once you get round to it.  

On 15/07/2021 at 14:56, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

My favourite Barnes (middle England is really good as well if you want more of his, although very different)

I take it you mean 'England, England'?

'Middle England' is a Jonathan Coe book.

They're both decent.

I've read The Periodic Table by Primo Levi.

It's well written and the thing he attempts in marrying Chemistry to narrative is interesting and sort of successful, but not necessarily sustainably convincing.   It's a mixture of autobiography and fiction which sees each chapter given the name of an element.

His life story is such that the non-fiction parts work better than the short stories.  I found it a slog early on, but it picks up.

One of those books that feels a bit self consciously important, but actually is, if that makes any sense.

4 hours ago, Duszek said:

Currently re-reading Paul Auster, a hero from my student days. Moon Palace and The Music of Chance still hit the spot. 

I've only read 4321 by Paul Auster and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I've got his New York Trilogy sitting on one of my shelves, might pick it up fairly soon now you've refreshed my memory.

Just now, Craig the Hunter said:

I've only read 4321 by Paul Auster and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I've got his New York Trilogy sitting on one of my shelves, might pick it up fairly soon now you've refreshed my memory.

New York Trilogy is classic Auster  - you’re in for a real treat.

I pledged a book on the Unbound online publishing site, got my copy delivered and enjoyed reading it and seeing my name on page 377.
It's called Work In Progress by Dan Brotzel and is written in a series of emails between members of the newly formed Crawley Writers Group. All the members are a bit oddball, eccentric or just a bit crazy and I found it very funny and extremely easy to whizz through the 300 odd pages.

Edited by JustOneCornetto

Mayflies by Andrew O'Hagan. Given the rave reviews, and recommendation a page back, I was surprised by how much I hated this book. I just took against the characters from the start, so by the time we got to the emotional second part, I was already wishing them all dead. I think it just reminded me of a couple of stag dos I've been on and how I really don't want to read a novel about those stag dos.

A Small Revolution by Jimin Han. Quite an interesting tale of a college hostage situation, set in the 1980s against a backdrop of political upheaval in Korea. A very short read told in a couple of threads in time and a debut novel, I understand. Decent stuff.

I'm now on to The Thursday Murder Club by that tall chap off of out of Pointless. I'm not far in but the writing is so crisp and effortless and engaging, I have high hopes for the rest of it.

A Kestrel for a Knave (book which was adapted for Kes). Bit of a heartbreaking story hadnt read it in years. Whilst Hines writing is great, his attention to detail is too much for me sometimes. 

Terminal Boredom - Izumi Suzuki. A few short translated stories from a Japanese writer who starred in pink movies and topped herself.  Some interesting sci-fi concepts though. 

Terminal Boredom - Izumi Suzuki. A few short translated stories from a Japanese writer who starred in pink movies and topped herself. 

It would have been more noteworthy had a Japanese author not been connected to suicide. They're constantly writing about folk killing themselves.

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

A Kestrel for a Knave (book which was adapted for Kes). Bit of a heartbreaking story hadnt read it in years. Whilst Hines writing is great, his attention to detail is too much for me sometimes. 

One of those rarities where the film really is better than the book.

It's obviously a good story, but Hines gets terribly bogged down in superfluous detail, which can threaten to derail the themes.

13 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

One of those rarities where the film really is better than the book.

It's obviously a good story, but Hines gets terribly bogged down in superfluous detail, which can threaten to derail the themes.

Indeed. But I suppose the film drew upon that detail to a large extent. Easier to digest it visually than reading about the details of a kitchen table/his maws legs etc.

Highway to Hell by Clinton Walker. 

Biography of Bon Scott. The book itself was very detailed and showed the character of Scott well. What I didn't like was how dismissive the author was on everyone else related to AC/DC. The Young brothers were, in turn, stupid, ruthless, tasteless, classless and so on. Managers were invariably incompetent or rip off merchants. On it went - everyone who didn't speak to him in the book was utterly slated. 

At least I now know the story of Whole Lotta Rosie