Last Book You Read....

H_B

I love Jodi Picoult, her books are wonderful. I'm reaing Keeping Mum at the moment, I think it's the only one I haven't read.

Im reading one about an Amish girl who has a baby, im only at about page 30 though, so no spoilers (i cant remember the name of it either).

Im reading one about an Amish girl who has a baby, im only at about page 30 though, so no spoilers (i cant remember the name of it either).

Plain Truth ;)

I'm surprised you're reading her stuff, not really my man's type of book!!! :unsure::)

The Game by Neil Strauss.

Unbelievable. The story of a writer who takes up an assignment to investige the world of pick up artists, and two years later finds himself immersed in this most amazing subculture in Hollywood. All those spam emails and pop ups about how people can can turn you from shy geek into getting any girl you want - the people behind those are the people in this book.

Was recommended to me by a friend, was laughed off as nonsense by me as assumed it would be a self help book with stupid chat up lines etc 'guaranteed' to get you the any girl you want. If thats what you're looking for, don't read this book. It's an amazing story, a study of human nature and social interaction, which is so ridiculous in points I am unsure as to whether it is a true story (it is sold as one) or not. If it is or it isn't it's still a great read - after reading the first 100 pages or so yesterday afternoon I picked it up to read a little more when I went to bed. 494 pages later its 8.30 in the morning and I haven't been to sleep yet. I'm not even a particularly big reader, I've certainly never done that before with a book.

10/10.

Has anybody else read it? No. 1 bestseller apparently.

The Game by Neil Strauss.

Unbelievable. The story of a writer who takes up an assignment to investige the world of pick up artists, and two years later finds himself immersed in this most amazing subculture in Hollywood. All those spam emails and pop ups about how people can can turn you from shy geek into getting any girl you want - the people behind those are the people in this book.

Was recommended to me by a friend, was laughed off as nonsense by me as assumed it would be a self help book with stupid chat up lines etc 'guaranteed' to get you the any girl you want. If thats what you're looking for, don't read this book. It's an amazing story, a study of human nature and social interaction, which is so ridiculous in points I am unsure as to whether it is a true story (it is sold as one) or not. If it is or it isn't it's still a great read - after reading the first 100 pages or so yesterday afternoon I picked it up to read a little more when I went to bed. 494 pages later its 8.30 in the morning and I haven't been to sleep yet. I'm not even a particularly big reader, I've certainly never done that before with a book.

10/10.

Has anybody else read it? No. 1 bestseller apparently.

Ive read it twice, its one of my favorite books. The fantastic thing is that it also does work, if you go on utube and type in mystery method you can see mystery doing some seminars.

I love Jodi Picoult, her books are wonderful. I'm reaing Keeping Mum at the moment, I think it's the only one I haven't read.

I have a Jodi Picoult book next in line but can't remember which one.

Just finished 'P.S I Love You' by Cecila Ahern. Lovley book which makes you laugh and cry.

I've also read 'Where Rainbows End' and 'If You Could See Me Now' by her. Good holiday books.

Currently reading Notting Hell.

Bernard Cornwell....Just re-reading the last of the Sharpe series all 20 or 21 but I also like his other historical novels.

His Arthur trilogy based on the ancient Celtic myths are some of the best novels ever written.

Bernard Cornwell....Just re-reading the last of the Sharpe series all 20 or 21 but I also like his other historical novels.

His Arthur trilogy based on the ancient Celtic myths are some of the best novels ever written.

Aye right. Last book you read was Razzle.

Carabanchel - the last brit in europe's hellhole prison

Christopher Chance tells of his time spent behind bars in the notorious spanish prison suffering at the hands of corrupt, racist prison officers and spanish gypos until he joined forces with the other foreign prisoners to watch each others back

great read 10/10

Looking forward to the follow up which takes place in the malaga prison where he was transferred to when Carabanchel was knocked down.

Just finished Hunter S Thompson's Fear And Loathing In America. As awesome as the Rum Diary and Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas are, his political writing is simply inspired. This is a guy who was a key confidante of George McGovern and Jimmy Carter, and reading it you understand why.

• 3 weeks later...

Currently in the middle of "The Book of Dave" by Will Self.

Now, I like Self's stuff, even if he is up his own bum a bit, and this book is as good as anything I've read for a while.

Cracking satire on religion, and very funny with it.

The idea is that the book that a psychotic taxi driver wrote to his estranged son and buried in his back garden is discovered hundreds of years later by a group of people living in a flooded England, and its language and misogynist and misanthropic outlooks are picked up as the new religion, Daveism.

Terrific stuff. I'll come back and edit this once I've finished it, but for anyone that fancies something a wee bit different with some laugh out loud moments and a lot of introspection, this is the fella. :)

Now, I like Self's stuff, even if he is up his own bum a bit, and this book is as good as anything I've read for a while.

The idea is that the book that a psychotic taxi driver wrote to his estranged son and buried in his back garden is discovered hundreds of years later by a group of people living in a flooded England, and its language and misogynist and misanthropic outlooks are picked up as the new religion, Daveism.

Terrific stuff. I'll come back and edit this once I've finished it, but for anyone that fancies something a wee bit different with some laugh out loud moments and a lot of introspection, this is the fella. :)

Sounds like my kind of thing as long as it doesn't verge on the 'Richard Littlejohn' kind of ranting and sticks to humour.

I'm reading 'The Prison House' by John King.

About a fella who is travelling abroad to an unspecified country, and gets arrested after a street fight and imprisoned in a horrible jail. It's one of those 'is it or isn't it real' narratives and is very entertaining, if a bit grim.

Had that in my hand last week in Borders. I ultimately put it back because I had previously read a novel by AA Gill and for some reason I linked the two together. I hadn't really enjoyed it but I suppose it was 10 years ago - I should give it another go (as I will with Daveism, should you recommend it once finished).

I have restarted London Fields by Martin Amis after losing track of it when I came back from holiday in the summer.

I'm reading 'The Prison House' by John King.

About a fella who is travelling abroad to an unspecified country, and gets arrested after a street fight and imprisoned in a horrible jail. It's one of those 'is it or isn't it real' narratives and is very entertaining, if a bit grim.

May i reccommend the following books to you

1 Marching powder by rusty young - english drug smuggler gets caught trying to take cocaine out of Bolivia and spends a good few years banged up in the La Paz prison where he works as a tour guide to make some dosh

2 The damage done by Warren Fellows _ Aussi bloke who spent over 10 years in the notorious thai hilton after being arrested trying to smuggle heroin out of the country

3 Journey to Hell by Donald Macneil - Scottish bloke gets forced into smuggling cocaine out of Venezuela and spends six years in a prison where murders, shootings, beatings and the odd grenade going off are normal life

All of the above are true stories and very grim, after reading them I'll never smuggle drugs again :P

Finally picked up "The Chisellers" by Brendan O'Carroll in Waterstones yesterday.For those who don't know he is the guy who appears on stage as Mrs.Brown in the stage shows of the same name(just finished a run at the Pavillion last Saturday).This is the second book in the trilogy with the other two being The Mammy and The Granny.Not quite finished it yet but easy enough to read, especially if you have seen the stage performances.

I had never evr read any Agath Christie stuff, but I decided to read ' And Then there Were None' and ' Hercule Poirot's Christmas'. Both decent, but very dated. The guilty party in both were both very obvious and the plots are formulaic, but I guess she was a forerunner for much of modern crime books and Tv shows.

They're the kind of books made for sitting in on a rainy day when you want something easy, yet entertaining to read. A bit like Sherlock Holmes, actually.

Edited by halfaperson