Last Book You Read....

H_B

The Goodbye Man by Jeffery Deaver. I hate to say it but, while an enjoyable read, this could have been written by any number of less talented writers. Nowhere near the number of twists you'd expect, and those that do appear are not of the screeching 180 degree style he does so well.

Maybe he should have stuck to the Rhyme/Sachs series, or even Katherine Dance. Mind you, Child has done that, and I hear from fans (I'm not one, I'll admit) that the Reacher series has shown signs of running out of steam.
Currently being lectured by James O'Brien's latest, before going on to the first Barney Thomson book. Can't remember the author's name but I enjoyed the film with Carlyle and Emma Thomson, so might well get the rest of the series as well (first one was free on Amazon).

Later by Stephen King.

Hard boiled crime story with a mix of a kid that can speak to dead people. Fairly easy read and then in typical King fashion, the story peters out comes to a close and then in his final 3 pages, without a single clue prior, just throws in some incest for no reason.

I'm thinking of getting a Kindle. Does anyone know if you have to link a Kindle to a particular country, meaning you can only purchase from that country's site? Or once you have one, can you buy titles from Amazon US, UK, France etc, meaning you can shop around for which is cheapest?

21 minutes ago, Duszek said:

I'm thinking of getting a Kindle. Does anyone know if you have to link a Kindle to a particular country, meaning you can only purchase from that country's site? Or once you have one, can you buy titles from Amazon US, UK, France etc, meaning you can shop around for which is cheapest?

I think you have to change the country in your device's settings i.e. if you want to buy from the UK site, make sure the setting is UK, if from France change to France and so on.  I believe the list of titles comes from the country chosen.

Edit to add - I think you can change the country setting as often as you like.

Edited by hk blues

Gates of Athens by Conn Iggulden. An excellent book (as always with him - his Genghis Khan series is the best historical fiction I have ever, ever read). Great story, well written. Next one in this new series is out in May. I'll get it when it comes out I think. 

On 16/03/2021 at 19:25, Monkey Tennis said:

Lanny by Max Porter.

Weird, but good.

An eccentric kid goes missing in a rural village in the south of England.  It's cleverly done, pulling together strands in the local reaction recognisable from Soham to Bristol to Portugal.  A mythological, ancient character called Papa Toothwort oversees it all, relaying snippets of chat he hears in odd lyrical swirly patterns.

As I said, it's a strange book, but it manages to be funny and insightful.

I've just had a look at a couple of reviews for this, and it's going on the list.

I'm assuming Paperback over Kindle for this, with your mention of swirly patterns (Kindles are almost magical, imho, but can struggle with graphics)?

Just an update - I'm about halfway through How Not to be Wrong, by James O'Brien. Really enjoying it, with the exploration of how the ability to change one's mind is missing from modern life, and how it could be retrieved. There's a few on here (site, not thread, tbf) could do with reading it..

11 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I've just had a look at a couple of reviews for this, and it's going on the list.

I'm assuming Paperback over Kindle for this, with your mention of swirly patterns (Kindles are almost magical, imho, but can struggle with graphics)?

No, you're fine with the Kindle - that's how I read it.

The patterns are just composed of text, so it copes ok.

I liked the book.  Post your own take on here.  It won't take long to read.

Gates of Athens by Conn Iggulden. An excellent book (as always with him - his Genghis Khan series is the best historical fiction I have ever, ever read). Great story, well written. Next one in this new series is out in May. I'll get it when it comes out I think. 
The Genghis Khan series was indeed excellent. The Mongols.....a great bunch of lads.

1 hour ago, Deanburn Dave said:
3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

The Genghis Khan series was indeed excellent. The Mongols.....a great bunch of lads.

His Julius Caesar one was good also. Not so keen on some of the other series (Wars of the Roses series was a bit meh).

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

No, you're fine with the Kindle - that's how I read it.

The patterns are just composed of text, so it copes ok.

I liked the book.  Post your own take on here.  It won't take long to read.

Cheers, mate. I'll report back. I'm normally a fan of left-field, weird stuff so hopefully this will be enjoyable. 

• 2 weeks later...

Three Hours by Rosamund Lupton

Imagine if blue tick twitter spent 20 minutes reading the wikipedia articles about Columbine and the Syrian civil war then wrote a book framed around an armed siege in a UK school.

Utter, utter, utter, utter, utter, utter shite.

Christopher Isherwood - Christopher and his kind 

A fairly interesting memoir of the author's time in Berlin in the 20s and 30s. He discusses his sexual and romantic escapades against a backdrop of the rise of Nazism. 

I read this because I'm interested in the Weimar era and I was hoping for more detail on the decadent culture and nightlife of the time, but apart from name checking a few venues he kinda glosses over that and concentrates on his own personal relationships.

A decent enough read but it didn't really give me what I was looking for.

On 29/03/2021 at 08:51, Duszek said:

I might be wrong here but I think Kindles are pretty restrictive for what you can read off them. If that's the case (others might know better) then I would recommend looking for an alternative e-reader. I even use a daft old iPad I got years ago but it lets me read DRM free stuff and all the free ebooks from certain websites (zlibrary).

On 29/03/2021 at 12:36, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Just an update - I'm about halfway through How Not to be Wrong, by James O'Brien. Really enjoying it, with the exploration of how the ability to change one's mind is missing from modern life, and how it could be retrieved. There's a few on here (site, not thread, tbf) could do with reading it..

James O'Brien could do with learning that lesson first going by every clip I see of his call-in show and his general demeanour on social media. 

Big fan of Conn Iggulden. I'll wait till he's finished then Athens set of books then batter through them all fairly quickly.

On 29/03/2021 at 11:08, scottsdad said:

Yes, I've read them, very good.   His series on the War of the Roses is well worth a look too.

"Megrahi: You are my jury. The Lockerbie evidence" by John Ashton

A very detailed critique of the investigation, trial and appeals process that led to the conviction of the "Lockerbie bomber". I always thought he was innocent but that was mostly based on what I had heard from others and I had never really done much of my own research. This sums it all up very well and I am now convinced of his innocence.

A difficult read as it is a very detailed forensic examination, with sections about the timers and luggage facilities at Heathrow getting very dry but they all contribute to paint a clear picture.

Worth a read. Very detailed account, very convincing and it's interesting to Read Megrahi's personal accounts which appear in italics throughout the book.