Last Book You Read....

H_B

Finished Tower of Swallows in the Witcher series. Massive book, in a couple of days.

Absolutely fantastic stuff throughout and I love the way they tell it. Much more action, far less boring chat. Probably better than any of the Song of Fire and Ice series actually, it's that good. 10/10

I just reread Wolf Hall and Bring Up The Bodies in preparation for the new one. I never read books again but they are both still excellent a second time round. Definitely my favourite series of books.

Currently reading Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. Saw it mentioned a few pages back and it is really good. I love Good Omens and American Gods so this is right up my street.
Think it was me that mentioned Neverwhere. Glad you're enjoying it.

For Whom the Bell Tolls - Ernest Hemingway

Took me a while to get into this and I initially thought it would be one of those literary classics that I just wouldn't get but once you get used to the narrative style and the bizarre dialogue, it's an excellent book.

After slogging through the first quarter, I flew through the rest. Despite the fact that little actually happens, its gripping, with the highlights being the flashback to the executions and the cutaway to the guerilla group at the top of the hill. Really captures the idea that the inability of the left to agree on the colour of the sky ultimately cost them any chance of winning the war.

Now to detox with a trashy spy novel before dusting down another of the classics I've never touched!

7 minutes ago, paul-r-cfc said:

For Whom the Bell Tolls - Ernest Hemingway

Took me a while to get into this and I initially thought it would be one of those literary classics that I just wouldn't get but once you get used to the narrative style and the bizarre dialogue, it's an excellent book.

After slogging through the first quarter, I flew through the rest. Despite the fact that little actually happens, its gripping, with the highlights being the flashback to the executions and the cutaway to the guerilla group at the top of the hill. Really captures the idea that the inability of the left to agree on the colour of the sky ultimately cost them any chance of winning the war.

Now to detox with a trashy spy novel before dusting down another of the classics I've never touched!

If you fancy mixing spies with Great American Novelists you might want to give Harlot's Ghost by Norman Mailer a go. Very long and it's a long time since I read it, but enjoyed it at the time, think I'll give it another go. It's a fictionalised tale of the evolution of the CIA.

Ferdydurke, a novel by Witold Gombrowicz, one of my favourite writers (his Diary is superb). This was bold, comic, intense, profound. Guy was a maestro.

Edited by Duszek

5 hours ago, paul-r-cfc said:

As far as spy novels go, you can’t go wrong with John Le Carré. 

7 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I’ve been getting into political books. Read “In It Together” about the Tory-Lib Dem coalition and then “The Blair Years”, which is extracts from Alistair Campbell’s diaries.

If anyone has any suggestions for what to read next then I’d welcome a PM!

The Prince.

8 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I’ve been getting into political books. Read “In It Together” about the Tory-Lib Dem coalition and then “The Blair Years”, which is extracts from Alistair Campbell’s diaries.

I read Andrew Rawnsley's "End Of The Party" a few years ago. It's about the New Labour government; if you're into that sort of stuff then it's probably worth looking at if you haven't already read it.

18 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Damian McBride's "Power Trip" is probably the most 'entertaining' memoir I've read from a New Labour figure. 

1 hour ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Finished The Plague by Camus last night - extremely good and in particular loved the chapter of Rieux & Tarrou discussing life towards the end. 

Onto Before the Coffee Gets Cold by Toshikazu Kawaguchi now - it's about a cafe in Japan where you can go back in time but only for as long as it takes your coffee to get cold. Pretty good so far. 

Read The Plague last year.  Little did I know....

Honestly didn't like it much but obviously given recent events I might have a different take on it now.  Generally though I prefer Camus' non fiction writing.

I read Andrew Rawnsley's "End Of The Party" a few years ago. It's about the New Labour government; if you're into that sort of stuff then it's probably worth looking at if you haven't already read it.

Couldn't stop reading that one - thought it was great.

It is US politics but the two Game Change books by Halperin and Heilermann are superb. Basically cover Obama getting in and then winning the second term. Like End Of The Party it has some amazing behind the scenes stuff, recommended.

Dark Money by Jane Meyor is a terrifying look at families like the Kochs and Mercers who fund the political right and the super PACs in the US and are starting to influence here as well. It's very impressive.

ETA: Fall Out: A Year of Political Mayhem by Tim Shipman is a behind the scenes look at Theresa Mays disastrous election - again, brilliant. I love all books like this, so readable.

5 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Farewell, My Lovely by Raymond Chandler

Is it better than The Big Sleep? I think so.

During lockdown, I've been downloading e-books from the library and am currently working my way through the Philip Marlowe series. I've read them all before but not a few years. And yes, Farewell My Lovely is the better of the two.