Last Book You Read....

H_B

25 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

The Blade Artist (I think it was out about a year before) is a bit like an accompanying piece to Dead Man's Shoes following Begbie in his new career. Has he turned over a new leaf? 

Oh I've read that too. It was decent. I take it Dead Mens Trousers picks up were Blade Artist ends?

42 minutes ago, TheIntenseHummingOfEvil said:

Oh I've read that too. It was decent. I take it Dead Mens Trousers picks up were Blade Artist ends?

It's more of a final piece to Trainspotting, with plenty of Renton, Sick Boy, Spud, Juice Terry etc. They're not sure if Begbie is really reformed or not...

12 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

It's more of a final piece to Trainspotting, with plenty of Renton, Sick Boy, Spud, Juice Terry etc. They're not sure if Begbie is really reformed or not...

I've not read it but I'm going to hazard a guess and say

Spoiler

He isn't.

Finished "The Long Take" by Robin Robertson this morning. Took a wee bit to get into the style of it, but was a tremendous book and was quite disappointed when I finished it that there wasn't another few hundred pages still left.

Finished “Minority Report” by Philip K Dick today. It’s a book of short stories, two of which were adapted into the movies “minority report” and “total recall”. 

I think that PKD has some good ideas for stories, but isn’t necessarily that good a writer, or maybe I just don’t like short stories.

Past Tense by Lee Child. Very much a book written to meet a publishers deadline.
Almost a parody of Jack Reacher, if that makes sense. Enjoyable guff all the same I suppose. Last few books I read have been biographies of Meatloaf (seems like a nice enough guy), Jimmy Page (weird, debauched but driven), and Robert Plant (seems like a decent guy despite the debauchery). John Bonham doesn't come out of either book as the sort of guy you'd want to meet.

Currently nearly finished listening to Pet Sematary and reading A Legacy of Spies (John Le Carre).

Pet Sematary is really bleak and miserable. I'd never fancied it as I thought it was going to be a silly knockabout thing with zombie hamsters etc. Instead it's family strife, trucks running over pets/kids/students. Enjoying it but not the cheeriest!

I've seen a few Le Carre film adaptations but never got any audiobooks as I don't like any of the narrators but was given a copy of A Legacy of Spies. So glad I picked it up as I can see why James Ellroy rates him so highly and obviously borrows heavily from his style. There's not an ounce of fat in it. He conveys so much with so few words. Really knocked out by how well written it is.  

Read Manhunt, by Colin Sutton over the weekend.  Was written by the SIO during the Amelie Delagrange murder on Twickenham Green in 2004.  The investigation subsequently led the Police to Levi Bellfield, and uncovered two further murders, including that of Milly Dowler in 2002.  

The story was gripping, but I didn't have an awful lot of love for Sutton.  He came across as incredibly pompous and arrogant at times.

21 minutes ago, Adam said:

Read Manhunt, by Colin Sutton over the weekend.  Was written by the SIO during the Amelie Delagrange murder on Twickenham Green in 2004.  The investigation subsequently led the Police to Levi Bellfield, and uncovered two further murders, including that of Milly Dowler in 2002.  

The story was gripping, but I didn't have an awful lot of love for Sutton.  He came across as incredibly pompous and arrogant at times.

Any relation...?

49 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Currently nearly finished listening to Pet Sematary and reading A Legacy of Spies (John Le Carre).

Pet Sematary is really bleak and miserable. I'd never fancied it as I thought it was going to be a silly knockabout thing with zombie hamsters etc. Instead it's family strife, trucks running over pets/kids/students. Enjoying it but not the cheeriest!

I've seen a few Le Carre film adaptations but never got any audiobooks as I don't like any of the narrators but was given a copy of A Legacy of Spies. So glad I picked it up as I can see why James Ellroy rates him so highly and obviously borrows heavily from his style. There's not an ounce of fat in it. He conveys so much with so few words. Really knocked out by how well written it is.  

I think Pet Sematary is great, shite film(s) though.

Picked up “All the Beautiful Lies” by Peter Swanson, in Basel airport this morning. Taken around 4 hours of reading to get through it. Very predictable and a bit too “American”, for want of a better description. Be surprised if I bother reading anything else of his.

19 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Prussian Blue by Philip Kerr

Dual story, nicely linked - enjoyed it

Reminds me that I want to get hold of the Berlin Noir trilogy, his first three books. I love the Bernie Gunther novels and have read most of them but not the first 3. Picked up a compilation of the 3 in Melbourne a while back but it was too big to take with me, so ended up not buying it.

Last book I read was Night flight to Paris by David Gillman.

WW2 spy thriller. Got a bit confusing in parts due to the amount of characters, but enjoyed it more and more as it came to its conclusion.