Last Book You Read....

H_B

I'm mostly a non-fiction man but there is a reading challenge thing going on at my work and I thought I would use that as an opportunity to read all those "must read in your lifetime" books that I've never actually read. 

I started with 'To Kill a Mockingbird'. Genuinely loved it. Can't believe I got to age 50 without reading it. 

5 hours ago, John MacLean said:

I'm mostly a non-fiction man but there is a reading challenge thing going on at my work and I thought I would use that as an opportunity to read all those "must read in your lifetime" books that I've never actually read. 

I started with 'To Kill a Mockingbird'. Genuinely loved it. Can't believe I got to age 50 without reading it. 

I decided to do something similar two years ago, because I used to love reading when I was young and wanted to get back into regular reading. Now I'm ALWAYS reading something, I think I've actually read more books in these past two years than I did in the previous twenty-five!

To Kill A Mockingbird is on my "to read" list.  I saw the film when I was younger but don't remember much about it.

8 hours ago, John MacLean said:

Can I recommend Frankenstein - amazing it was written in 1818 and Mary Shelley was 18 when she started writing it.

I loved it.

Anyone read any of the Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn? Quite enjoying it, onto the fourth one. Basically he's a cloak and dagger CIA assassin, the books so far all continue on from one another.

Not sure how later books will go, it's one of those series where the author snuffed it and someone else carried on the writing.

7 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:
15 hours ago, Saigon Raider said:
Can I recommend Frankenstein - amazing it was written in 1818 and Mary Shelley was 18 when she started writing it.
I loved it.

Along similar lines, Dracula is excellent. It's the only book to have given me nightmares. Highly recommended.

I honestly thought Dracula was pish: a love story written for teenage girls.

38 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Are you sure somebody hasn't swapped your Dracula book cover for Pride and Prejudice?

Dracula’s about an olderly gent chasing after a young girl he’s desperately in love with? She loves him, but is engaged to another? If so, same book!

Just finished Dead Mans shoes by Irvine Welsh ashamed to admit it's his first book I've read and enjoyed it and going to pick up any of his works were ever I can

I've not read all his novels as they often follow similar themes but as his best Irvine Welsh is brilliant. It's an obvious choice but read Trainspotting, it's very good. Marabou Stork Nightmares is also very good and I really liked Bedroom Secrets of the Master Chefs though it's rarely mentioned alongside his best.

Just now, Jmothecat2 said:

I've not read all his novels as they often follow similar themes but as his best Irvine Welsh is brilliant. It's an obvious choice but read Trainspotting, it's very good. Marabou Stork Nightmares is also very good and I really liked Bedroom Secrets of the Master Chefs though it's rarely mentioned alongside his best.

Nothing to judge it on cos I've not read any skagheads meant to be good anaw as close to Trainspotting as he got

I honestly thought Dracula was pish: a love story written for teenage girls.

I did too. I thought it was dreary. Frankenstein is a different case, but I couldn’t stand Dracula, save for a few sections.

I love the story of how Indonesia, where I live, kind of inspired Frankenstein (in a roundabout way).

Mount Tambora erupted on an island in 1816 and there was then the "year without sun" - basically it brought about a 3C temperature drop and miserable weather for about 3 years. Shelley, her family and Byron went to Geneva, told each other horror stories, probably took heaps of opium and she ended up writing Frankenstein.

More on it here http://nautil.us/issue/31/stress/the-volcano-that-shrouded-the-earth-and-gave-birth-to-a-monster

22 hours ago, Rugster said:

Anyone read any of the Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn? Quite enjoying it, onto the fourth one. Basically he's a cloak and dagger CIA assassin, the books so far all continue on from one another.

Not sure how later books will go, it's one of those series where the author snuffed it and someone else carried on the writing.

I read American Assassin a few years ago, blasted through it on a flight back from Texas, enjoyed even though it's not the type of story I'd usually go for, weirdly the part that stuck in my head was that part of his kit was a door stopper to stop people bursting into his room.

Just noticed they made it into a movie.

Been away from this thread for a while, so a few I've read recently include

The Snowman - Jo Nesbo.  Wasn't a huge fan if I'm honest

Multiple Jack Reacher titles - all out of order, but it's a kind of you know what you're going to get with Lee Child.

Just on Jack Reacher, I've downloaded audible, to listen to books as I've started running and I need something to keep my mind from wandering and telling myself to stop, music doesn't cut it. So I listened to Tripwire - it the 3rd in the series. Finished it and am now on whatever book 4 is called.   Anyone else use audiobooks?

Found it really strange to begin with, very slow - I can read at a much quicker pace, but after a few chapters I got into it.  One thing that is annoying though is when the male narrator reads female speech.  Guess it's never going to be ideal though.

I would quite like to read conventionally alongside the audios, clearly better avoiding Reacher titles, but I'll see how reading/listening to different books goes.

Edited by WullieBroonIsGod