Last Book You Read....

H_B

On 2/25/2019 at 19:30, Gnash said:

The other book I remember ditching was The Silmarillion.

I gave The Silmarillion about one page before ditching it, really wanted to like it, really didn't like it, ditched it.

Same with Moby Dick "I've read this damn book 22 times Charlie and I still don't understand a thing"

In fact I think I'll give Moby Dick another chance, it's a fucking classic right !?

I gave The Silmarillion about one page before ditching it, really wanted to like it, really didn't like it, ditched it.
Same with Moby Dick "I've read this damn book 22 times Charlie and I still don't understand a thing"

In fact I think I'll give Moby Dick another chance, it's a fucking classic right !?
Thus spake Tortelvis.

6 hours ago, Ned Nederlander said:

Moby Dick is a strange one.  Very readable in parts, utterly bizarre in others.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished Norwegian Wood earlier today. I adored it, a really great novel and my favourite one for some time.

Any recommendations on where to go next with Murakami? I’ve had a look elsewhere online but it’s not exactly helpful! 

13 hours ago, yoda said:

I finished Norwegian Wood earlier today. I adored it, a really great novel and my favourite one for some time.

Any recommendations on where to go next with Murakami? I’ve had a look elsewhere online but it’s not exactly helpful! 

A Wild Sheep Chase, or Hardboiled Wonderland... 

Leave The Windup Bird Chronicle till later. It's great, but going from Norwegian Wood to that is a bit of a jump.

I've read a fair bit of Murakami but I wasn't a big fan of Norwegian Wood. I loved Wild Sheep Chase though. His sort stories are also very good.

I'm reading some Krasznohorkai at the moment, so thirty page paragraphs and page long sentences. It's not as difficult to read as you might imagine though. I'm about sixty pages in and for a book called The Melancholy of Resistance it's a bit too upbeat for my liking.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

A Wild Sheep Chase, or Hardboiled Wonderland... 

Leave The Windup Bird Chronicle till later. It's great, but going from Norwegian Wood to that is a bit of a jump.

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

I've read a fair bit of Murakami but I wasn't a big fan of Norwegian Wood. I loved Wild Sheep Chase though. His sort stories are also very good.

Thanks!

A lot of people online seem to recommend diving straight into The Windup Bird Chronicle and Kafka On The Shore but I think I'll leave them for now. I see A Wild Sheep Chase is part of a "trilogy" of sorts, is it the kind of thing you can read as a standalone novel?

Will seek out Hardboiled Wonderland and some short story collections - I've demolished most of George Saunders' back catalogue over the past 12 months so I'm looking for more short story collections to work through.

13 minutes ago, yoda said:

Thanks!

A lot of people online seem to recommend diving straight into The Windup Bird Chronicle and Kafka On The Shore but I think I'll leave them for now. I see A Wild Sheep Chase is part of a "trilogy" of sorts, is it the kind of thing you can read as a standalone novel?

Will seek out Hardboiled Wonderland and some short story collections - I've demolished most of George Saunders' back catalogue over the past 12 months so I'm looking for more short story collections to work through.

Yeah.  I read all of his books as stand-alone novels, to be quite honest.  

Not as highbrow as a lot of the titles mentioned on here, but I’ve started reading the Logan McRae series by Stuart Mcbride again. Read most of them in the past, but can’t remember which I’ve read & ones I’ve not. So, purchased 10 of the 11 on Kindle yesterday (already had one in my library), real good deal - all books for £40. I’ll read them all in order as they were written. Starting with Cold Granite.
D.I. Steele is a fantastic character & I think Mcbride is a very talented writer.

Not as highbrow as a lot of the titles mentioned on here, but I’ve started reading the Logan McRae series by Stuart Mcbride again. Read most of them in the past, but can’t remember which I’ve read & ones I’ve not. So, purchased 10 of the 11 on Kindle yesterday (already had one in my library), real good deal - all books for £40. I’ll read them all in order as they were written. Starting with Cold Granite.
D.I. Steele is a fantastic character & I think Mcbride is a very talented writer.

This is weird, after starting Cold Granite a while ago, I’m going back to it today.

2 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Blood of Rome by Simon Scarrow. If you like your battles of the sword and sandal variety then this venture into Armenia is for you.

Read Under the Eagle a couple of weeks ago, and halfway through The Eagles Conquest.

Enjoying his writing on a subject he obviously likes very much.