Last Book You Read....

H_B

12 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I love the film version of Catch 22 but I also gave up on the book after a few chapters.

Another supposed cult classic that I gave up on pretty quickly was Slaughterhouse 5. It said "so it goes" at the end of every fucking paragraph and that seriously got on my moobs after a few pages...

I was the same with Slaughterhouse Five. Seemed like such a short book, supposed masterpiece, should fire through it in an afternoon. Gave up in the first ten pages.

4 hours ago, TheIntenseHummingOfEvil said:

I gave up on Catch 22 after about 100 pages and last night started reading Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy by John Le Carre. I've rattled through it and am about three quarters of the way through. I'd never read any of his books before but heard that this was good. I am enjoying it and now will have to read the rest of the Karla trilogy and the rest of Le Carre's books.

Finished Tinker Tailor. I might read The Spy Who Came In From The Cold next as that one seems highly regarded as well.

8 hours ago, TheIntenseHummingOfEvil said:

I gave up on Catch 22 after about 100 pages and last night started reading Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy by John Le Carre. I've rattled through it and am about three quarters of the way through. I'd never read any of his books before but heard that this was good. I am enjoying it and now will have to read the rest of the Karla trilogy and the rest of Le Carre's books.

Hilarious that those are the two books I haven't managed to finish!! I might have been smoking too much during Tinker Tailor (back a long time ago) but I was constantly having to flick back to remember who everybody was.

8 hours ago, Saigon Raider said:

Hilarious that those are the two books I haven't managed to finish!! I might have been smoking too much during Tinker Tailor (back a long time ago) but I was constantly having to flick back to remember who everybody was.

I couldn't put Tinker Tailor down and read about 300 of it's 400-and-something pages in one sitting, but different strokes for different folks.

As for Catch 22, I just couldn't get into it. I know people who love that book but it's not for me. IMO life is too short to spend your time reading books you don't enjoy.

On ‎16‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 18:55, topcat(The most tip top) said:

For a more general grounding in what’s more commonly thought of as Economics then he’s probably better off getting a First year textbook like Economics by Begg, Dornbusch & Fischer

Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman is well worth reading if you’re interested in behavioural Economics.

https://books.google.com/books/about/Thinking_Fast_and_Slow.html?id=ZuKTvERuPG8C

My curiosity was piqued after Michael Lewis' 'The Undoing Project'.

I'm about 70 pages into it, and it is a very impressionable read. The problem is, I can only manage a few pages of it at a time before I need a lie down.

• 2 weeks later...

Daphne du Maurier’s last book, “Rule Britannia”. It got slated on its release in the 70s for being too far fetched but I reckon Daphne’s having the last laugh.

The plot is that the UK votes against joining the European Economic Area. A corrupt English government then basically sells the UK to the USA for a trade deal, and a group of rural Cornish folk (an elderly former actress, her granddaughter, and a slew of foster sons) lead the resistance against an American takeover. 

Just finished The Border by Don Winslow, the final part of his Mexican Drug War Triology.
Absolutely fantastic book, as are the other two, The Power of the Dog and The Cartel.
The running theme, apart from the gratuitous violence is how the US Government actively supports the drug trade as well as the War on Drugs.
It looks like FX have agreed to make TV series out of the books as well.

On 26/02/2019 at 21:28, tongue_tied_danny said:

I love the film version of Catch 22 but I also gave up on the book after a few chapters.

Another supposed cult classic that I gave up on pretty quickly was Slaughterhouse 5. It said "so it goes" at the end of every fucking paragraph and that seriously got on my moobs after a few pages...

I thought that the book of catch 22 was quite a pacy read although I never got my head around the egg thing. 

The film made me want to punch the telly within about 5 minutes. 

28 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I thought that the book of catch 22 was quite a pacy read although I never got my head around the egg thing. 

The film made me want to punch the telly within about 5 minutes. 

Took me a bit to work out how he made a profit, despite apparently making a loss. It made sense eventually but it is that long since I read the book, I can't actually remember how he was doing it.

Finished The Spy Who Came In From The Cold and already have Call For The Dead and The Looking Glass War lined up for reading.

The second book in the Karla trilogy, The Honourable Schoolboy, is one of my favourite Le Carre books. The Secret Pilgrim is a great read as well. Fantastic writer.

2 hours ago, blackislekillie said:

The second book in the Karla trilogy, The Honourable Schoolboy, is one of my favourite Le Carre books. The Secret Pilgrim is a great read as well. Fantastic writer.

He does have a really enjoyable way of telling stories that makes you not want to stop. All other titles in my "to read" pile have been put on the back burner until I have finished these.

Currently just over half way through The Looking Glass War.

I've just finished Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov.  It started off well as the sleazy protagonist was chasing his 'prey', but once they get together it totally lost its edge.  I was really struggling to finish the last third.  But it wasn't holding my attention so I completely missed the key plot element for about 50 pages.

• 2 weeks later...