Last Book You Read....

H_B

57 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Irvine Welsh - Dead Men's Trousers

Really enjoyed this. Hard one to discuss without spoilers. Not all of the four main characters make it to the end (this is in the blurb). 

Ian Rankin - In A House of Lies

Always like the Rebus books and tend to get through them in no time. Standard (ie decent) fare though the reveal felt a bit crow-barred in and a couple of the main suspects seemed to just be forgotten about so overall it lacked a wee bit of resolution.  

Agreed on the  Rebus books.  I fly through them, and I wonder whether that's because they are really well written bad books, or badly written good books, if that makes any kind of sense.  Ian Rankin seems like a good bloke though, and I definitely enjoy his work.

I've just finished Rather Be The Devil and it was fine, but not a patch on Exit Music or Standing In Another Man's Grave.  Feels, perhaps deliberately, that Rebus has lost a bit of edge.    

6 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Agreed on the  Rebus books.  I fly through them, and I wonder whether that's because they are really well written bad books, or badly written good books, if that makes any kind of sense.  Ian Rankin seems like a good bloke though, and I definitely enjoy his work.

I've just finished Rather Be The Devil and it was fine, but not a patch on Exit Music or Standing In Another Man's Grave.  Feels, perhaps deliberately, that Rebus has lost a bit of edge.    

A bit like coffee, sex or pizza. Even if it's not great, it's still pretty good! His characters are so well observed but that was the only time I've really noticed the plot and pacing being a bit clunky. 

I'll Be Gone In The Dark by Michelle McNamara. A true crime story about a prolific serial killer operating in the late 70's/early 80's. Sadly she died before the end of the book so she never lived to see the guy brought to justice (DNA has him bang to rights), a really good read as she was obsessed by her own admission.

As an aside, her husband was the comedian/voice over Goldberg's man Patton Oswalt.

A Disaffection by James Kelman

In lieu of one of my regular detailed and insightful reviews, I will share this passage with you:

Two or three days, that's all he would have been able to take of Eric. No more. Then they'd be at each other's throat. At least Pat would. Eric would just be slightly taken aback then conciliatory. They were all like that, these middle-class b*****ds, lying fuckers, so absolutely hypocritical it was a way of being, they never even bothered reflecting on it, all these lecturers and students, so smugly satisfied and content to let you say what you wanted to say and do what you wanted to do, just so long as it didnt threaten what they possessed, and what did they possess why fucking everything, the best of health and the best of fucking everything else. It was  a joke, just a joke. But it was pointless being bitter. It was pointless being bitter. Being bitter was fucking silly. Patrick had stopped being bitter. What it did was just fucking stopped you from doing things. At uni it stopped him from doing things. If he had stopped being bitter he might have done things. What might he have done? He might have done things. Obviously he canni be expected to say what exactly these things are. But there are things he would definitely have done and that means he would not right at this fucking moment be a fucking damn bloody bastarn schoolteacher, one who does f**k all in the world bar christ almighty nothing at all. It was them wanted him to go to uni and no him, his parents and his fucking big brother. It was all so stupit. Really, so stupid. He had not wanted to go. And even once he was there it was something else he was after. Something else altogether. But how do you explain that to your family. What - explain what? Explain what you had wanted to do. Patrick had wanted to do something. That was fucking definite. But what had it been? What actually had that thing been, the thing he wanted to do. Something massive, that's all, something massive. 

Bright Lights, Big City by Jay McInerney

Written in an unusual second person style, this classic 80s novel is about a young man who throws himself into New York's drug fuelled nightlife after his missus fucks off. 

I first read this when I was about fourteen but was too young to really get it. I'm middle aged now and have both literally and metaphorically suffered a few boots in the baws over the years so I got a lot more out of it. It captures the protagonist's plight fairly well but is still witty and hip enough to be entertaining without being too miserable.

There was a film adaptation starring Michael J Fox. I saw it years ago but I can't remember much about it. I'll seek it out this weekend.

Edited by tongue_tied_danny

The Hopkins Manuscript - R. C. Sheriff.  A survivor records the events around a collision between the moon and earth.  A decent read if taken straight but in my opinion the book is actually quite sophisticated its character study and overriding themes.  4/5
Boys in Zinc - Svetlana Alexievich.  Personal accounts of the Soviet-Afghan war from Soviet citizens who were affected by the conflict - soldiers, civilian workers, nurses, wives, mothers etc.  Some of the accounts, especially those of mothers who's children were killed, are some of the most powerful and tragic accounts of the consequence of war that I've read.  The edition I read also has a further section on a lawsuit that was brought against the author by two of the interviewees who claimed to have been misrepresented.  This was also excellent as it deals with the nature of recording contemporary history - is it right to apply literary devices or edit hours of interviews?  How reliable is human memory?  How do changing attitudes influence memory and the 'truth' of history, what responsibilties does the author have to living parties and where do literature, journalism and history intersect ?  etc. 5/5
Starting 'The Heron' by Giorgio Bassani.

Started Boys In Zinc the other night, only read a couple of chapters but it is beautifully written.

On 2/23/2019 at 08:27, TheIntenseHummingOfEvil said:

Same. Does it ever become anything more than a succession of "hilarious" dialogues?

It's non-chronological, but the chapters are, mostly, connected in one way or another, in a free association type way. I read it in high school and loved it but I don't think I could ever be bothered reading it again.

2 minutes ago, Blootoon87 said:
On 2/23/2019 at 13:04, Saigon Raider said:

Good luck, I have started it about 5 times!

I got about a third of the way through it then have up, I just didn't get it.

Same as me.  It's very rare that I give up on a book, but I just couldn't go on wasting my time with Catch 22.  Hugely disappointing.

The other book I remember ditching was The Silmarillion.

I gave up on Catch 22 after about 100 pages and last night started reading Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy by John Le Carre. I've rattled through it and am about three quarters of the way through. I'd never read any of his books before but heard that this was good. I am enjoying it and now will have to read the rest of the Karla trilogy and the rest of Le Carre's books.

I love the film version of Catch 22 but I also gave up on the book after a few chapters.

Another supposed cult classic that I gave up on pretty quickly was Slaughterhouse 5. It said "so it goes" at the end of every fucking paragraph and that seriously got on my moobs after a few pages...

Edited by tongue_tied_danny