Last Book You Read....

H_B

London - the biography by Peter Ackroyd.

Fascinating, if long read, full of interesting historical anecdotes.

Obviously Suggs must have just finished it before coming up with the lyrics for The liberty of Norton Folgate 

After marathon read, needed something shorter & lighter and just finished No Good Deed by John Niven.

Would definitely recommend it. Funny and scathing in equal measure 

Oscar by Matthew Sturgis. A superb study of Wilde, supplanting the Richard Elmann one as the definitive biography of the man. A great and informative read which gives good coverage of his whole life rather than usual focus on last 5 years. His childhood in Ireland and tour in America were very well covered.

The Killing of Commendatore by Haruki Murakami. Typical brilliant Murakami novel and ranks as one of his best.

My Name'5 Doddie- Doddie Weir

Not your normal rugby player's autobiography, there can't be many who have written theirs while terminally ill. Decent enough read, fair play to the big guy for what his foundation has achieved in a little over a year, with over £1 million already raised and distributed.

The Long Take, by Robin Robertson

Post WW2 historical drama, following a Canadian guy's descent from bright young thing to addiction, and post-traumatic stress. He lands in NY after the war then decides to try Hollywood.  Written as a verse novel, the flashback scenes are mainly written in verse. Don't know if the style really adds a lot. It had scooped a few awards and nominations and I probably expected a bit more. Hints of Dorian Gray in the way the writer sees himself without realising it's him, hints of James Ellroy (the hyper-real characters drifting in and out of reality and fiction of LA in the post-war period). 

Lofty ambitions but misses the mark a bit. It's short anyway but chop about a quarter or a third out and it would be very powerful. Lots of really impressive imagery - especially the cold NY winter. 

Finished The Plot Against America last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I would recommend it if anyone is looking for something to read.

Just bought Wolf Among Wolves by Hans Fallada. I enjoyed Alone In Berlin  (which is about a middle-aged couples' small protest against the Nazi regime - based on a true story apparently), and I wanted to read more of his work.

The Hopkins Manuscript - R. C. Sheriff.  A survivor records the events around a collision between the moon and earth.  A decent read if taken straight but in my opinion the book is actually quite sophisticated its character study and overriding themes.  4/5

Boys in Zinc - Svetlana Alexievich.  Personal accounts of the Soviet-Afghan war from Soviet citizens who were affected by the conflict - soldiers, civilian workers, nurses, wives, mothers etc.  Some of the accounts, especially those of mothers who's children were killed, are some of the most powerful and tragic accounts of the consequence of war that I've read.  The edition I read also has a further section on a lawsuit that was brought against the author by two of the interviewees who claimed to have been misrepresented.  This was also excellent as it deals with the nature of recording contemporary history - is it right to apply literary devices or edit hours of interviews?  How reliable is human memory?  How do changing attitudes influence memory and the 'truth' of history, what responsibilties does the author have to living parties and where do literature, journalism and history intersect ?  etc. 5/5

Starting 'The Heron' by Giorgio Bassani.

Edited by Ya Bezzer!

18 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Alexievich is brilliant - it's criminal that she's not better known, despite being a Nobel Prize winner.

Will definitely pick up 'The Unwomanly Face of War' at some point but I've got a to-read pile and can't really justify another trip to the book shop right now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/07/2016 at 21:25, Tommy Nooka said:

I picked up the first 3 Shardlake books on Amazon for £3 a few weeks ago. Gave them to my mum to read just now, will need to get them back soon!

Been reading The Magicians by Lev Grossman at the moment on a recommendation, not very impressed so far, feels like it's trying too hard to be an edgy Harry Potter.

They found the Erebus, don't think they've found the Terror yet.

No one will ever know what actually happened to the men though. Some human remains have been found and were cleverly wove into Simmons novel.

FWIW I just finished Erebus by Micheal Palin and thought it was excellent.

I had a vague understanding of the story but skipped the forward as I had a feeling it would give a fair bit away and having gone back to it on completion I found it did.

They found Terror two years after they found Erebus.

Edited by Ned Nederlander

Read "Capture or Kill" by Tom Marcus last week. Really enjoyed his first book about his life in MI6, so was looking forward to this as his first fiction piece.

I read a lot of military/action/spy stuff, and this is one of the best I've ever read. Read the entire thing on the train to Aberdeen and back. Thoroughly recommend if you're into this sort of stuff.

I'm not a massive reader and this will be my first foray onto this thread, but while I've been off work I've read a couple of books in my "downtime".
50 dead men walking by Martin McGartland.
The true story which inspired the film of the same name about an Irish fella who became a member of the IRA whilst also serving as an informer for the Special Branch.
I only got it when I seen it was free on kindle books but I really enjoyed it, and the ending is pretty mental to consider this actually happened.
I then read " Dead man running"
SPOILER
the follow up in which McGartland finds out his kidnap etc was planned between the ira and Mi5 as he has become a "liability" and his subsequent fight with the law in Northumbria and his real identity being exposed, and an assassination attempt.
2 really good books, not to long and a really good insight into the troubles in northern Ireland for someone like myself who didn't know too much about that kind of thing.

Irvine Welsh - Dead Men's Trousers

Really enjoyed this. Hard one to discuss without spoilers. Not all of the four main characters make it to the end (this is in the blurb). 

Ian Rankin - In A House of Lies

Always like the Rebus books and tend to get through them in no time. Standard (ie decent) fare though the reveal felt a bit crow-barred in and a couple of the main suspects seemed to just be forgotten about so overall it lacked a wee bit of resolution.