ambulances

How well managed will the patients health be when then ambulance creams right into the side of an unwary car? Or do we all have to listen for the sound of Sigur Ros drifting across the air to know that its an ambulance with a heart attack patient?

Why would it crash into another vehicle? Even with the siren on they don't just go careering through red lights etc without looking. Depending on the condition of the patient, sometimes they don't even drive fast at all and they have even been known to stop. All for the care and wellbeing of the patient.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in a serious accident not so long ago, I remember lying on the road thinking i'm fucked and i can tell you, when you hear that siren it is very reassuring. It may not be the purpose of it. but it does make a difference.

I'm not denying that, but as you say, thats not its primary purpose.

Why would it crash into another vehicle? Even with the siren on they don't just go careering through red lights etc without looking. Depending on the condition of the patient, sometimes they don't even drive fast at all and they have even been known to stop. All for the care and wellbeing of the patient.

I'm aware that ambulance drivers use their eyes when driving. But tell me, if thats the case, tell me, then why have sirens at all? Are you saying that they aren't for alerting other road users to the presence of an ambulance?

Wait... what?

Are people seriously saying that sirens are used for some other purpose rather than alerting other road users of the ambulance's location in an emergency situation?

Wait... what?

Are people seriously saying that sirens are used for some other purpose rather than alerting other road users of the ambulance's location in an emergency situation?

Not only that but someone has actually 'resigned' over being pulled up on the tripe he posted.

Wait... what?

Apparently.

I'm just waiting for someone to say he was an ambulance driver and in emergencies uses only hand signals rather than sirens...

When the ex found me on a heap on the living room floor when I had took a overdose last year when my mental health was at a all time low. She obviously called the ambulance. My memory is slightly hazy of the night (half bottle of whisky and a shitload of pills will do that to you) but from what I can remember is the ambulance crew being in my flat at the same time as the police and also being in the back of the ambulance with the sirens on. Just seem to remember getting these sticky things getting put on various body parts.

When the ex found me on a heap on the living room floor when I had took a overdose last year when my mental health was at a all time low. She obviously called the ambulance. My memory is slightly hazy of the night (half bottle of whisky and a shitload of pills will do that to you) but from what I can remember is the ambulance crew being in my flat at the same time as the police and also being in the back of the ambulance with the sirens on. Just seem to remember getting these sticky things getting put on various body parts.

:(

Sounds like the Ambulance crew were breaking the rules.

What does the snake curled round the stick represent? I've always wondered but never enough to actually find out.

Wiki art thine friend

In Greek mythology, the Rod of Asclepius (sometimes also spelled Asklepios or Aesculapius), also known as the asklepian,[1] is a serpent-entwined rod wielded by the Greek god Asclepius, a deity associated with healing and medicine.

I agree with this - if you don't believe me, I'm resigning.

Wiki art thine friend

In Greek mythology, the Rod of Asclepius (sometimes also spelled Asklepios or Aesculapius), also known as the asklepian,[1] is a serpent-entwined rod wielded by the Greek god Asclepius, a deity associated with healing and medicine.

I agree with this - if you don't believe me, I'm resigning.

I hear they use a different ambulance with an alternative logo if patients have ophiophobia. Or bowel cancer.

I don't know what governs the use of sirens on the way to a patient, but generally the only time they use them on the way to hospital is if the patient is seriously unwell, I.e in or about to go in to cardiac arrest.

• 4 months later...

Haha never seen this before, funny stuff.

to add, i have seen an ambulance the last 3 nights going to work at the same place roughly around the same time. Albert Bartletts roundabout between Airdrie n Cumbernauld. Around 10:30, coming from Cnauld to Airdrie. Lights, no sirens. Weird tbh.

Archived