ambulances

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Talking pish? lolwut. The paramedic with nearly ten years service that my wife and i know very well, who happens to be one of the medics who treated her dad, must be talking pish then eh??

Or he decided to test how gullible the pair of you are with quite one of the most ludicrous suggestions for a while and you swallowed it hook line and sinker before repeating it as gospel on here? ;)

Don't put the sirens on for a suicide or bowel cancer as a matter of course. :lol: Did you seriously accept that tosh without question?

Or he decided to test how gullible the pair of you are with quite one of the most ludicrous suggestions for a while and you swallowed it hook line and sinker before repeating it as gospel on here? ;)

Don't put the sirens on for a suicide or bowel cancer as a matter of course. :lol: Did you seriously accept that tosh without question?

They don't put sirens on for bowel patients in case they scare the shit out of them

I like it when paramedics turn the lights AND the siren on when they're trying to get their takeaway home before it gets cold.

they are not allowed to take the ambulance home with them.what a silly billy.

They don't generally tend to use sirens in situations where the stress of the patient must be managed effectively - e.g heart attack patients. All the extra noise would not be beneficial to their health and well-being and shit.

How well managed will the patients health be when then ambulance creams right into the side of an unwary car? Or do we all have to listen for the sound of Sigur Ros drifting across the air to know that its an ambulance with a heart attack patient?

Depends how remote they are. Not in the cities with ambulance depots obviously but I'm pretty sure there are places where the ambulance does indeed go home with the paramedic. Or at least have been in the recent past if it's not the case now.

Hmmm,I think we're onto something with this thread.

Why don't ambulances play different tunes,depending on the type of patient they're carrying?

Mack The Knife...serious assault victim

Highway To Hell...road traffic accident victim

Drugs Dont Work...O.D victim

I'm sure The Phoenix willc ome up with lots more

why do some ambulance fly down the road with their blue lights flashing but no siren sounding?

So folk don't become accustomed to the sirens?

Depends how remote they are. Not in the cities with ambulance depots obviously but I'm pretty sure there are places where the ambulance does indeed go home with the paramedic. Or at least have been in the recent past if it's not the case now.

Absolutely correct, SD. You see them in small towns where the crew are on-call from home.

The idea that they wouldn't put the sirens on for a suicide case actually seems pretty non-controversial to me. I assume it's to stop them from trying further self-harm or something.

But the bowel cancer thing just sounds absolutely mental. Surely if you'd collapsed you'd want to know that help was on the way? And above all else, you can't hear them coming from miles away - do they not turn it on on a busy junction even if they're still 10 minutes off?

The idea that they wouldn't put the sirens on for a suicide case actually seems pretty non-controversial to me. I assume it's to stop them from trying further self-harm or something.

But the bowel cancer thing just sounds absolutely mental. Surely if you'd collapsed you'd want to know that help was on the way? And above all else, you can't hear them coming from miles away - do they not turn it on on a busy junction even if they're still 10 minutes off?

It seems to me that the purpose of an ambulance siren is not to reassure people that help is on the way, but to let other road users know that an ambulance is coming and they should get out of the way or at least be more aware. Hence why they use them when approaching junctions and suchlike. I don't think sneaking up on people who have attempted suicide is really a factor. I mean how would it work for remote areas?

"There has been an incident in the Cairngorms, one man is in a critical state.."

"...I'll scramble the air ambulance!"

"No, best not, it was a suicide attempt, we don't want the helicopter blades to give our arrival away."

"Good point, I'll use the unmarked glider instead."

Has Philpy seriously resigned because of this thread?

Edited to add, I also want to know this. If so, this is such a pathetic reason for a resignation that it makes Ric's look credible (sorry Ric, we love you really!).

I asked this question in his resignation thread and whilst it may be a case of putting 2 and 2 together to get 5 it pretty much looks like this thread is the reason why he has "resigned" from P & B.

Edited to add: :lol:

Bigot.

You should tell that to the guy who lives on the left just past the 1st bridge in Patna, either that or it's a fancy ice cream van.

Mrs.bold has a regular run into Ayr on a Monday about 4pm with the Boldette, and at that time there is a predictable ambulance will come screaming flashing along Dalmellington Road bullying everyone out the way in that self-important way they do. What's that about, then? Fire engines are the same, causing chaos on their way to cats up trees.

You should tell that to the guy who lives on the left just past the 1st bridge in Patna, either that or it's a fancy ice cream van.

Yes, that's one of the ones I was thinking of - see above. Also in Maybole and Largs.

It seems to me that the purpose of an ambulance siren is not to reassure people that help is on the way

I was in a serious accident not so long ago, I remember lying on the road thinking i'm fucked and i can tell you, when you hear that siren it is very reassuring. It may not be the purpose of it. but it does make a difference.

Archived