Lost Junior Grounds

peasy23

3 hours ago, Shanner said:

It was a decent venue I always thought. Wasn't really a fan of the big empty bits behind the goals but all things considered it was a good, interesting ground. The clubhouse was quite distinctive. 

Surprised someone hasn't taken the goalposts for their back garden yet. There must be a few items lying about that would make good souvenirs.

RRG posted some pics last year of some souvenirs he'd taken to add to his Kirky memorabilia.

I believe there was also a suggestion*at the time that he'd been able to rescue over a hundredweight of sentimental copper piping from the ground. :huh:

*possibly made by me :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 23 June 2016 at 19:27, peasy23 said:

I was given this picture at the weekend, and it's the best one I've ever seen of our ground at Hawthorn Park, which was our third home after Arrol and Atlas Parks. No date or note of the opposition on the pic but we were there between 1919 and 1935. The ground was situated on the south side of Hawthorn Street, bordered by Memel Street and Blackthorn Street, with houses on the site now. The tenement you can see is on the corner of Hawthorn Street and Horne Street, and the Carron scheme was built on top of the hill on the left. If you click on this link you will see the site now.

http://showmystreet.com/#1x9u6v_-2iu70_i7d_10

13537812_1082558268476049_28163667790813

Great picture peasy23.

Take it Petershill moved out of Hawthorn St because the land was going to be used for housing.

Interesting it was the same grey tenements that appeared all over city during the 1920/30s.

• 5 months later...

Got sent a picture at the weekend from the grandson of former player Lawrence Taylor who emigrated to Australia in 1912, he had played in back to back Junior Cup finals with Petershill, losing 1-0 to Burnbank in 1911 after a replay, then being on the winning team in 1912 as Petershill won the cup for the first time beating Denny Hibs 5-0. The pic has Lawrence sitting on the left of the front row and was taken sometime in 1912.

The picture was taken at Atlas Park which was Petershill's home ground from 1903 to 1919. It was situated right next to the Atlas Works with the ground at the Edgefauld Road end of the site.

I asked his grandson what became of Lawrence in Australia, and it turned out he had been a stonemason and his last job was as a supervisor overseeing the construction of one of the pillars for the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Unfortunately he was injured during the build and would eventually die from complications caused by his injuries a few years later.

traynor6659 (2).jpg

Edited by peasy23

• 6 months later...
On 9 January 2017 at 14:35, peasy23 said:

Got sent a picture at the weekend from the grandson of former player Lawrence Taylor who emigrated to Australia in 1912, he had played in back to back Junior Cup finals with Petershill, losing 1-0 to Burnbank in 1911 after a replay, then being on the winning team in 1912 as Petershill won the cup for the first time beating Denny Hibs 5-0. The pic has Lawrence sitting on the left of the front row and was taken sometime in 1912.

The picture was taken at Atlas Park which was Petershill's home ground from 1903 to 1919. It was situated right next to the Atlas Works with the ground at the Edgefauld Road end of the site.

I asked his grandson what became of Lawrence in Australia, and it turned out he had been a stonemason and his last job was as a supervisor overseeing the construction of one of the pillars for the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Unfortunately he was injured during the build and would eventually die from complications caused by his injuries a few years later.

traynor6659 (2).jpg

Just noticed this Peasy 23, what a great picture. That looks like the old Edgefauld Rd offices that were there in the 1960s with the clock on them. Sean Connery did a bit filming there, riding round the empty factory on a bike. Take it the ground was on the now closed Remploy site.

ps, thanks to the fella in Oz for the info.

Just noticed this Peasy 23, what a great picture. That looks like the old Edgefauld Rd offices that were there in the 1960s with the clock on them. Sean Connery did a bit filming there, riding round the empty factory on a bike. Take it the ground was on the now closed Remploy site.
ps, thanks to the fella in Oz for the info.

Yep, bang on with the location. Found this postcard online when I was looking for other pictures, the wall on the left is the boundary of Atlas Park and you can see the top of the pavilion just left of centre.

14c81cff9acbe3e60406e3eb4778b87c.jpg

On 17 July 2017 at 11:06, peasy23 said:

Yep, bang on with the location. Found this postcard online when I was looking for other pictures, the wall on the left is the boundary of Atlas Park and you can see the top of the pavilion just left of centre.

14c81cff9acbe3e60406e3eb4778b87c.jpg

Take it Edgefauld Rd was much narrower back in the day.

Original Brandon Park, Home of Bellshill from 1903 in the first 3 pictures. The 4th & 5th pictures are panoramic of New Brandon Park which now lies derelict and empty
5975f466a5c1a_Brandon1.thumb.jpg.8a5070c953e2e2520105b19efa99ea95.jpg
5975f467c1b0d_Brandon2.thumb.jpg.9e02a8d19339f50185cb1b3f51f34eba.jpg
5975f4682f49c_Brandon3.thumb.jpg.5be53330fb4787abc1062cd5a23b1514.jpg
5975f46877861_BrandonNew.jpg.74ef5db8fcfc020d7e3cb126b65fb645.jpg
5975f5013aa63_BrandonNew.jpg.153ca9b44796d15785e02ffc6e6298f3.jpg

I was only ever in the original Brandon Park once, tidy wee set up and the enclosure had a handy shelf along the back to rest your can on. The new one was very good and all it needed to make it excellent was a bit of cover. Shame it was a shyster who owned it.

I've seen Bellshill play home matches against Peasy in 5 different grounds, Brandon Park, New Brandon Park, Fullarton Park, the Matt Busby and now Rockburn.

10 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

I was only ever in the original Brandon Park once, tidy wee set up and the enclosure had a handy shelf along the back to rest your can on. The new one was very good and all it needed to make it excellent was a bit of cover. Shame it was a shyster who owned it.

I've seen Bellshill play home matches against Peasy in 5 different grounds, Brandon Park, New Brandon Park, Fullarton Park, the Matt Busby and now Rockburn.

Hopefully Rockburn will be our home for the forseeable future

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

Shyster? Well,I've certainly heard him him described in stronger terms peasy,but that'll do for now.Anyhoo,here's how the park was looking in 2015 ( maybe someone can give us an update) and I've got to say that I fully endorse John Devlin's comments in the accompanying article.........

http://www.motherwelltimes.co.uk/news/environment/football-ground-on-market-for-2-5m-1-3897384

I met the "shyster" when Bellshill played at Cumnock and he struck me as someone who thought the sun shone out of his own arse.

He didn't seem to have a nice way about him that day and when it all blew up , I felt sorry for the guys like Paul Fox and the other guys who were dyed in the wool Bellshill boys

• 2 weeks later...