Lost Junior Grounds

peasy23

I can recommend this site

http://www.oldmapsonline.org/

Various football grounds are shown on maps covering the 20th century including one at the Blacklands opposite the Institute, the Woodwynd ground behind the Morrisonian Church at the junction of the Woodwynd with the new Lauchlan Way town centre by-pass.( now Woodburn Ave)   The Abbey Park is shown as being the northern half of 2 plots, the Garnock side one having a Gasometer on it and the Abbey side being known as The Butts ( for Archery Practice and later Gun shooting practice.)

I couldn't find the one behind Howie's Garage on any map yet I remember its existence prior to the new house building.

Edited by Marlowe

I can recommend this site

http://www.oldmapsonline.org/

Various football grounds are shown on maps covering the 20th century including one at the Blacklands opposite the Institute, the Woodwynd ground behind the Morrisonian Church at the junction of the Woodwynd with the new Lauchlan Way town centre by-pass.( now Woodburn Ave) The Abbey Park is shown as being the northern half of 2 plots, the Garnock side one having a Gasometer on it and the Abbey side being known as The Butts ( for Archery Practice and later Gun shooting practice.)

I couldn't find the one behind Howie's Garage on any map yet I remember its existence prior to the new house building.

Was the one behind the garage McLuckie Park ?

• 3 weeks later...

I was given this picture at the weekend, and it's the best one I've ever seen of our ground at Hawthorn Park, which was our third home after Arrol and Atlas Parks. No date or note of the opposition on the pic but we were there between 1919 and 1935. The ground was situated on the south side of Hawthorn Street, bordered by Memel Street and Blackthorn Street, with houses on the site now. The tenement you can see is on the corner of Hawthorn Street and Horne Street, and the Carron scheme was built on top of the hill on the left. If you click on this link you will see the site now.

http://showmystreet.com/#1x9u6v_-2iu70_i7d_10

13537812_1082558268476049_28163667790813

In the early 1900s a team known as Kilwinning Eglinton Thistle also known as Kilwinning Eglinton and Kilwinning Thistle played in the North Ayrshire Juvenile League until the end of 1902 season then in the North Ayrshire Junior League from 1903.  One ground was called Blacklands.

Check out George McGrattan's site http://www.ardrossanfootballclubs.net/

Here's a report on a Scottish Juvenile Cup tie Ardrossan Winton Rovers, then a Juvenile team, played against Burnfoothill Thistle on 3 January 1903.

BURNFOOTHILL THISTLE 0 - ARDROSSAN WINTON ROVERS 0
The luck of the ballot has been none too kind to the Rovers in the Scottish Cup competition and on Saturday (3 January 1903), they and a goodly number of followers travelled 'down south' to tackle Burnfoothill Thistle in the second round of the ties. An uphill climb of about two miles had to be undertaken after leaving Patna and it was a somewhat 'fagged' company that arrived at the scene of operations. In McMurtrie's place, Lambie occupied the Rovers' goal. The backs and half backs were as usual while in the absence of Reid, McCulloch and Maxwell from the front line, Bannatyne, Kerr and Craig donned the colours for the day. The game was started sharp to time in almost a gale of wind which slightly favoured the Rovers and the first try came from Fleming, the Thistle custodian saving smartly. The troublesome breeze combined with the slippery character of the ground made respectable football impossibility and a succession of shies was perhaps the most noteworthy feature of the play. The Rovers were, if anything, the more aggressive in the initial period and with a little luck, their efforts might have been rewarded. The second half found the teams battling away on level terms and the game was well spent ere the Thistle succeeded in getting the ball through but the point was disallowed for offside. Towards the finish, the Burnfoothill lads strove determinedly to pierce an opening but the Rovers succeeded in keeping them out until the expiry of time and the game terminated in a goalless draw. Under the circumstances, the display given was as could fairly be expected and the absence of goal-scoring was due to the defective play of the forwards rather than to any unusual ability on the part of the defence. The teams again face each other at Winton Park tomorrow (10 January 1903), commencing at 2.30 pm. The Rovers have no reason to complain of the treatment meted out to them last Saturday and look forwards to a pleasant game. Let there be a bumper 'gate'.

Winton won the replay at Winton Park 3-0.  Kilwinning Rangers were also Juveniles or had a team in the Juveniles in 1902 - 03.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2016 at 10:41 PM, clash city rocker said:

Was the one behind the garage McLuckie Park ?

I stumbled across this thread when I was bored during the long summer holidays in Russia.  I remember this park but couldn't remember the name.  My uncle who is a big Buffs man says that it was called Foundry Park and apparently the Buffs played there during 1972 when they fell out with Mr Palmer who owned the Buffs Park at the time.  Ironically Foundry Park was owned by Mr Palmer's father at the time.  He also thinks that the Buffs played there in their first couple of seasons from 1899. 

It was mainly used by Claremont Juniors who later became Claremont Amateurs.  He also says "It was a lovely park with lovely changing rooms".  It was unused from at least 1965 and was used by boy's clubs and for school's games, as that's when he played there, but after the foundry that was there closed down the park deteriorated until it was used for housing as it is now.  

My dad played for just about every team in Kilwinning in his day but I won't talk to him till Sunday so I may have more information then.

On 23/06/2016 at 7:27 PM, peasy23 said:

I was given this picture at the weekend, and it's the best one I've ever seen of our ground at Hawthorn Park, which was our third home after Arrol and Atlas Parks. No date or note of the opposition on the pic but we were there between 1919 and 1935. The ground was situated on the south side of Hawthorn Street, bordered by Memel Street and Blackthorn Street, with houses on the site now. The tenement you can see is on the corner of Hawthorn Street and Horne Street, and the Carron scheme was built on top of the hill on the left. If you click on this link you will see the site now.

http://showmystreet.com/#1x9u6v_-2iu70_i7d_10

13537812_1082558268476049_28163667790813

Here's the same view from Google Maps street view.

hawthorn.jpg

That picture of Adamslie is thoroughly depressing. It must bring up all sorts of emotions for KRR fans. 

I drive past it everyday n think wit a shame. 1 of my favourite away grounds. I played a cup final on it and scored aswell so always a wee reminder of when I go past it

Mon the papers

12 minutes ago, passbackdave said:

I drive past it everyday n think wit a shame. 1 of my favourite away grounds. I played a cup final on it and scored aswell so always a wee reminder of when I go past it

Mon the papers

It was a decent venue I always thought. Wasn't really a fan of the big empty bits behind the goals but all things considered it was a good, interesting ground. The clubhouse was quite distinctive. 

Surprised someone hasn't taken the goalposts for their back garden yet. There must be a few items lying about that would make good souvenirs.

Edited by Shanner

I know a few rabs supporters have been down taking things like bricks, turf, items left laying around the pavilion.

Goal posts maybe a bit to big to carry up the road!

Reminds me of the old petershill park in a way famous old ground having it's day but the club moving to a new place nearby.

Main difference petershill was all done and dusted fairly quickly this hasn't.

I know a few rabs supporters have been down taking things like bricks, turf, items left laying around the pavilion.

Goal posts maybe a bit to big to carry up the road!

Reminds me of the old petershill park in a way famous old ground having it's day but the club moving to a new place nearby.

Main difference petershill was all done and dusted fairly quickly this hasn't.

When we moved out the work started right away, even then the finish date was delayed due to the weather and we ended up playing the best part of two seasons away from home.

It was a decent venue I always thought. Wasn't really a fan of the big empty bits behind the goals but all things considered it was a good, interesting ground. The clubhouse was quite distinctive. 

Surprised someone hasn't taken the goalposts for their back garden yet. There must be a few items lying about that would make good souvenirs.

It was a traditional ground having belonged to another junior team Kirkintilloch Harp before Rob Roy moved into it hence the empty bits behind the goals.

I went down and there was a whole lot of old Birmingham City kits lying possibly used as training kits. I walked into the committee room but there wasn't much left in it except some old pint glasses and empty beer cans haha

Those would have had something to do with Mick Oliver the old rabs manager who was chief scout for birmingham and also worked for the scottish national team.

I drove past today and noticed a couple of red portacabins inside the ground which I'm sure weren't around before i could be wrong though.

My mistake i stand corrected peasy.