Lost Junior Grounds

peasy23

DRSdroped into cathkin park a couple of times now after Hampden myself now magical place apart for the trees teracing is in great condition

Must be a great place to play still anyone know who plays there

This is the best picture I can find of the old Southcroft Park, home to Rutherglen Glencairn for 112 years.

3273206878_cb4d086fa5_z.jpg

Below is an old picture of the land on which The Clyde Gateway Stadium now sits.

rg133-the-piggery-rutherglen-c1903.jpg

Edited by glensmad

It was a dog racing track in it's former days Bill. Right next to the White City Stadium as well! Here's how it looked before they brought the ends in to build the multi's.

In this photo you can see what Osama was saying about Moore Park being two pitches side by side running north-south.

albion.jpg

Apart from greyhound racing and speedway, the White City also had cheetah racing around 1939. It was an idea brought north from the London White City. Possibly the same company owned both tracks? The only difference between the two types of animal racing was that the dogs chased a mechanical hare while the cheetahs went after a lump of raw meat.

The big factory in the top left corner is the Harland & Wolff "Glasshouse". Under the northern edge of this factory was St Anthony's first park (1904-1906), which never had a name and was described as a patch of waste ground at the foot of Hamilton Street (since demolished and rebuilt as Nethan Street). The ground was not enclosed and had no facilities at all so could not be used for cup-ties. The players used to change in the League of the Cross Hall (aka League Hall) which still stands and until recently was occupied by McKay Flooring Ltd.

When the Ants played their first competitive match in 1905 it was played on the Ibrox Practice Ground (top right, opposite the main stand in Edmiston Drive), ironically by permission of Oldco FC!

The building which looks like a kiddies' bouncy castle at the south end of the original Moore Park was Moorepark House, which gave it's name to the football ground built in its formerly extensive gardens.

Edited by Osama bin Ant

When the Ants played their first competitive match in 1905 it was played on the Ibrox Practice Ground (top right, opposite the main stand in Edmiston Drive), ironically by permission of Oldco FC!

Thats now the Ibrox Complex (or it was last time I was in Govan) and when I worked in Ibrox I often used to see SPL clubs doing training there - Kilmarnock were the most regular visitors.

Thats now the Ibrox Complex (or it was last time I was in Govan) and when I worked in Ibrox I often used to see SPL clubs doing training there - Kilmarnock were the most regular visitors.

For many years it was the red ash pitch for the adjacent Ibrox Primary School.

As far as i am aware the cover at Tinto Park was built in the early 1950's as new.

Good memories of Cathkin Park. Several boys in my class at school were ardent hi hi supporters. The first time I went there the crush barriers were concrete. However they were changed to the red metal ones during one close season. Seen the Thirds in the semi final of the League Cup at Ibrox when they beat Arbroath 3-0. In the final their keeper; who was very small; Jocky Robertson played a blinder but they lost to Hearts 2-1 despite scoring in the first minute. Third Lanark were a strong side and had George Young formerly of Rangers as manager.

Went to Roseberry Park when very young but do not remember much apart from a red brick wall around the ground.

Petershill Park always had a bit of class to it and a good support.

Love these photo's they play on my nostalgia.

Many Thanks,

Tinto

"Corky" Young only became the HI-Hi manager after the League Cup final against Hearts, although curiously he was allowed to be part of the Thirds bench on the day. Their manager on the day was the great Bob Shankly, who had already agreed to become the greatest manager of Dundee's history - one of those great "might have been" moments for Scottish football had he stayed with the Hi-Hi. Young left football after the Hiddleston takeover in disgust, and became one of the founders of the "Pools Panel".

Curiously, the continuing Third Lanark post-1967 initially played at Rosebery Park for many years.

Myself and one of the other Clydebank guys went to speak to a group of guys wanting to resurrect Thirds in the Juniors ... that was around 3 years ago but nothing much seems to have happened since. Hope we didn't put them off :o

Third Lanark Amateurs won the top division of The Greater Glasgow Premier league last season. They play out of the "Circuit " area in Cambuslang, and, having watched them on a couple of occasions, I think a fair comparison with the Juniors would put them in the bottom half of the Central 2nd .

:)

Another shot of St Anthony's Moore Park.

SPW040310.jpg

Ashfield's original Saracen Park, directly across the street from Perthshire's current Keppoch Park. Hard to tell from the photo whether Keppoch is a football ground or not at this time.

SPW022209.jpg

Jeez, some memories there for me with this Ashfield/ Perthshire pic.The grassland at the top would become the Milton, while further down I can just about see the house in Ashfield St. where I was born ( wonder if the plaque is still up ? :lol: ), while yet further down is the old Saracen Foundry '

Boy, do I feel ancient ! :(

Edited by Rank Badjin

This photograph is pre- 50s. In the 50's Ashfield's ground was on its present site and Perthshire's park was black ash ! :P

Ashfield moved to New Saracen Park in the mid 30s. Perthshire's ground was black ash until 1983. Their first match on the new grass surface was against... Ashfield.:D

Ashfield moved to New Saracen Park in the mid 30s. Perthshire's ground was black ash until 1983. Their first match on the new grass surface was against... Ashfield.:D

I remember watching a game at Perthshire, played on a summer's evening, ( would have been late 40s, early 50s) and at times you couldn't see the players for the dust ! :lol:

Jeez, some memories there for me with this Ashfield/ Perthshire pic.The grassland at the top would become the Milton, while further down I can just about see the house in Ashfield St. where I was born ( wonder if the plaque is still up ? :lol: ), while yet further down is the old Saracen Foundry '

Boy, do I feel ancient ! :(

A wee bit more nostalgia for you here Rank - the corner of Keppoch Park just creeps in near the top left.

http://img.photobuck...iehallion/p.jpg

Cheers Brig, but I'm struggling to get my bearings with this one, each time I think I've got a point of reference it turns out to be wrong .Do you have any other pointers ?

The big building just in from the bottom left corner is the old bingo hall at the corner of Hawthorn Street and Balmore Road, with Hawthorn Street running diagonally out of the picture to the left.

The big building just in from the bottom left corner is the old bingo hall at the corner of Hawthorn Street and Balmore Road, with Hawthorn Street running diagonally out of the picture to the left.

Thanks peasy, I see it now ! :P I can also see the Saracen Bar at Saracen Cross and, going back along Hawthorn St. to the Junction of Saracen St. there's a wee shop at the corner . The shop next to that one was a bicycle shop owned by Davy Hope, who went on to be a director of Rangers . I got my first new bike in that shop !

Lot of good memories, and a bit of sadness for me on this thread, but all good stuff --- thanks guys . :)

ETA : Before it was a bingo hall it was the Mecca picture hoose and, further along Balmore Rd. was a chip shop where 3d. got wee boys a bag of chips that they struggled to lift ! :lol:

I miss those days . :(

Edited by Rank Badjin

• 1 year later...

As far as i am aware the cover at Tinto Park was built in the early 1950's as new.

Good memories of Cathkin Park. Several boys in my class at school were ardent hi hi supporters. The first time I went there the crush barriers were concrete. However they were changed to the red metal ones during one close season. Seen the Thirds in the semi final of the League Cup at Ibrox when they beat Arbroath 3-0. In the final their keeper; who was very small; Jocky Robertson played a blinder but they lost to Hearts 2-1 despite scoring in the first minute. Third Lanark were a strong side and had George Young formerly of Rangers as manager.

Went to Roseberry Park when very young but do not remember much apart from a red brick wall around the ground.

Petershill Park always had a bit of class to it and a good support.

Love these photo's they play on my nostalgia.

Many Thanks,

Tinto

Crush barriers were concrete right up to the end...the cooncil put in the metal ones.