Lost Junior Grounds

peasy23

post-12982-0-13252800-1341522062_thumb.j

top right of this photo:

Old Meadowbank - used by Edinbugh Junior FA for cup finals in the 1920s. Now where the stand and running track is.

behind that: New Meadowbank: home of Leith Athletic FC until 1955 and speedway until 1968 when the site was redeveloped for 1970 Commonwealth Games

what a great site- found a picture of my hoose from 1929!

Found that one myself Archie. As far as I can make out it is Ayr Parkhouse. Ground was called Beresford Park. If you look at a map of Ayr you will see Parkhouse Street and Beresford Terrace on the site where the ground used to be.

Btw, if you register and zoom in you will see that it is sheep that are on the pitch! :D

Edited by peasy23

Thank you all for posting such a good selection of photo's.

For me they bring back so many great memories. I give a few which I hope will not bore you too much.

Springfield Park;

The day we went there to see Strathclyde v Benburb it absolutely chucked it down and most of a very sparse crowd were huddled around the block at the top end of the ground. The pitch was black ash. It was a spacious ground and Strathies in their time had a reasonable support.Bad day for the Bens followers at the time as the Strathies won 2-0. When I passed it a few weeks back I noticed it was being re-developed with boardings around it.

Moore Park:

Always a great atmosphere when the Ants and the Bens played. The Bens followers were down the Edmonston Drive side. The Ants the other side and behind the goal they were shooting in trying to put the Bens goalie off. Usually they succeeded as I cannot remember the Bens ever winning there !. When I was knee high to a grasshopper we had a scrap with some Ants kids. The Ants officials came rushing round and moved us up to the corner of the ground near the railway to carry on with the scrap. When we finished we looked round and everyone had gone home. The Ants won the match but we won the scrap I think.

The 50 pitches:

Lived near the 50 pitches. On the 6 adult pitches to the right of the picture they positioned the goals directly behind one another. Hence every season a couple of goalies got knocked out when the bladder ball hit them on the back of the head from the pitch behind. The only water was a small fountain on the way back to the changing rooms where the players would queue up to try and clean up the gravel out of their arms and legs. Sir Alex Ferguson said that a memory he had of the 50 pitches was when they got back to the changing rooms after an evening match. It was so dark that he finished up going home with someone else's underpants on. That tiny little block on the bottom right of the picture was the changing rooms.

Tinto

The motorway cuts through the bottom of the picture of 50 pitches.

As seen here - https://maps.google....ed+Kingdom&z=16

Fulbar Rd is quite distinctive on both the photo and the map, unless I've got totally the wrong place :unsure:

Edited by drs

One from Ardrossan from 1947 .. would that be ardrossan winton rovers ground , on right about half way up , next to a railway line ... here is link if anyone wants a better look ...http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/saw011549?search=glasgow&ref=59

SAW011549.jpg

One from Ardrossan from 1947 .. would that be ardrossan winton rovers ground , on right about half way up , next to a railway line ... here is link if anyone wants a better look ...http://www.britainfr...=glasgow& ref=59

Aye - quite a few of Ardrossan some pre and this one post war - the interesting part is pre war the park ran 90 deg to the way it currently runs - I registered and you can zoom in a good bit

Aye - quite a few of Ardrossan some pre and this one post war - the interesting part is pre war the park ran 90 deg to the way it currently runs - I registered and you can zoom in a good bit

Yeah i registered and zoomed in , some size of oil refinery for smallish place like ardrossan.

The motorway cuts through the bottom of the picture of 50 pitches.

As seen here - https://maps.google....ed+Kingdom& z=16

Fulbar Rd is quite distinctive on both the photo and the map, unless I've got totally the wrong place :unsure:

Spot on drs - the motorway did cut right through the pitches. McKenna Park is over the top right 3 pitches nearest to Shieldhall Rd and Fulbar Road.

Taken from Britain from Above

SAW045959.jpg

Centre left is New Springfield Park, home of Strathclyde Juniors.

Top Centre is Helenslea Park, home of Parkhead Juniors and facing that on the other side of London Road is New Barrowfield Park, home to Bridgeton Waverley.

Slightly off thread...

I think that's Riverside School down in the left hand corner. For those that knew him, Stewart MacLachlan, ex Queens Park, was the Headmaster there. I think he is now Referees Supervisor for Scottish Schools. His photo is in the Hampden Museum.

Not a junior ground but still interesting I think?

Ayr Parkhouse - with a game in progress! (Or maybe just training?)

SPW019509.jpg

Good old Ayr Parkhouse's Beresford Park. It was used also to keep livestock overnight going to the market the next morning! Could you imagine the SFA and SPL allowing that nowadays?

(Come to think of it, the way they've been carrying on this last week I wouldn't put it past them!)

[

talk to pat snr and he will fill you in about when the park ran the opposite way, there used to be a stand but it got burned to the ground when the navy (who had requisitioned WP for the war effort) used petrol instead of water to put a brazier out. also the boundary wall of the ground is made from the bricks that used to protect the tanks at the refinery, the club got a load of them and a squad of young lads (my late dad included) chipped the old cement off so they could be reused. the land at the winton court end was originally a plant nursery and was donated to the club, presumably the landowner made his money when he sold the land to the council to build winton court. The old shed at that end was built by the shipyard apprentices as it was built long before the stand. Still miss that shed though but i know the steelwork was rotten as it was only painted twice in 50 years

Slightly off thread...

I think that's Riverside School down in the left hand corner. For those that knew him, Stewart MacLachlan, ex Queens Park, was the Headmaster there. I think he is now Referees Supervisor for Scottish Schools. His photo is in the Hampden Museum.

Just peeking into the picture at the left hand side, looks like part of Helenvale - yet another ground. It certainly was a busy part of the world for the fitba'.