The weird stadiums thread

Swampy

Some stadiums are just weird. Maybe they're weird because they're built into the back of a sports centre:

post-269-0-72851800-1341019329_thumb.jpg

(Skonto Stadium: Riga, Latvia - Skonto Riga)

Or maybe because they take three-sided to ludicrous extremes, backing right onto a residential area:

post-269-0-13378200-1341019342_thumb.jpg

(Campo Vallecas: Madrid, Spain - Rayo Vallecano)

Or perhaps they go even further than that and have a block of ruddly flats on the touchline:

post-269-0-55385700-1341019695_thumb.jpg

(Tunavallen: Ekilstuna, Sweden - Eskilstuna City)

We all know about Braga's Euro 2004 ground, which is built into an old quarry:

post-269-0-13599500-1341019504_thumb.jpg

(Estadio AXA: Braga, Portugal - Sporting Braga)

But do you know about the 2nd division ground in Croatia that looks like the architect had much the same idea but got bored halfway through?

post-269-0-22406500-1341019612_thumb.jpg

(Gradski/Stadion Gospin Dolac: Imotski, Croatia - NK Imotski)

This thread is to celebrate bizarre grounds wherever they might be found. Please post pictures of ones you've found, along with names and locations. I just have three requests:

1) Make it an actual stadium. If we start adding public parks, we're obviously going to find hundreds that back onto houses, are right in the middle of cities, are on beaches etc. For the purposes of this thread a stadium is a permanent, enclosed facility with some arrangement made for spectators (from all-seater arenas right down to fields with rope around them - because the latter is enclosed and permanent it would suffice, although unless it's in a really odd location it probably isn't weird based on these criteria alone.)

2) Link back to where you got the image. It's polite.

3) Actually upload attach the image here, rather than hotlinking - not just because it's polite. Rather, it's also because I found that on the logo thread that a lot of logos no longer appear because they've been taken offline by whoever hosted them. If we upload them to P&B they'll be here for as long as the thread exists.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Briskeby Stadion, home of Hamarkameratene in Norway: Three sides of it are modern and smart:

hamar_briskeby1.jpg

hamar_briskeby2.jpg

The fourth side is a run down looking club house thing:

briskebypano2.JPG

2000334186.jpg

From worlstadiums and whatever sites I found the last two from via google images, don't think I'll save pictures of a Norwegian ground on the laptop as it isn't mine. Ta.

:lol: Never seen that one, that's awesome. But get the pics uploaded here rather than linking out, otherwise I bet someone deletes them due to the MASSIVE BANDWIDTH consumption of what's sure to be the most popular thread of all time. (edit: if it's not your laptop get it formatted and down to Cash Converters before the rozzers find it)

Somewhat along the same themes as the above, and knocking five shades of crap out of Craven Cottage, is Het Kasteel (The Castle), nickname of the home of Rotterdam's second team, Sparta:

post-269-0-50985400-1341020967_thumb.jpg

(Het Kasteel (facade): Rotterdam, Netherlands - Sparta Rotterdam)

post-269-0-64279900-1341021033_thumb.jpg

(Het Kasteel (stadium): Rotterdam, Netherlands - Sparta Rotterdam)

This is the only European ground I know of that has what appears to be a fucking beer garden on the halfway line.

With the exception of the castle area, the entire stadium is a modern affair. The facade of the opposite side of the ground is as modern as it gets:

post-269-0-66698400-1341021224_thumb.jpg

(Het Kasteel (facade): Rotterdam, Netherlands - Sparta Rotterdam)

post-34626-0-81559300-1341045574_thumb.j

Not that much weird about this stadium, Ak Zhayik Uralsk , apart from the mini caravanland type box in the stand and the fact that they played their first 5 home games in their much smaller winter stadium which got a bit hairy at time trying to fit 4000 people into 3500 seats. Oh aye and the fat buffoon from Paisley

Starks park wit its half a a main stand. You don't need pictures

It's also, AFAIK, the only stadium in Scotland (if not the UK) where it's not possible to sit exactly perpendicular to the half-way line.

Of course, that'll change if you ever put seats back in the stand next to the railway line.

Not sure where, but I heard that Cappielow is the only stadium in Scottish (UK?) football to have four different viewing arrangements: terracing (Sinclair Street), stand (Main Stand), benches (Wee Dublin End) and an enclosure (Cowshed).

The Artemio Franchi stadium in Siena has always struck me as being odd with its multi-stand configuration. Took in a game there against Inter a few years ago and it was quite a surreal experience.

artemio-%20franchi.jpg

Siena are also looking at moving to a new stadium which if goes ahead will trump this considerably in the weird stakes

ept_sports_sow_experts-887403508-1299185741.jpg?ymNRZpEDTHAhH9Ju

Archived