Junior Football V Highland League

Tormod Macleod

Highland League clubs do pay players. The difference in standards between top Junior teams and top Highland League teams would be very little. As seen by Huntly beating Peterhead 3-1 and only bowing out to East Fife on penalties. Over the years the Highland League has been very strong, but the strength has dwindled since the exiles joined the Scottish leagues.

As far as I can see is that the non leagues like the Highland League, East of Scotland and South of Scotland are all members of the SFA, whilst JUnior clubs are all members of the SJFA. WHich are a total different entity that have their own leagues and cup competitions.

Thanks Carlos. This makes me more confused though. If the Highland league clubs can pay players whilst under the umbrella of the SFA, why can't the Junior clubs remain under the umbrella of the SFA and pay their players? What is to be gained by forming the SJFA?

Scottish football is nonsense.

I really dont know Tormod.

I would imagine that along time ago some Junior teams were under the SFA's membership but broke away to form their own wee league and setup to benefit them at the time.

Nairn County pay some players three figures a week! Dave McKay left Elgin to join Clach because Clach could afford to pay him more money.

I really dont know Tormod.

I would imagine that along time ago some Junior teams were under the SFA's membership but broke away to form their own wee league and setup to benefit them at the time.

Nairn County pay some players three figures a week!  Dave McKay left Elgin to join Clach because Clach could afford to pay him more money.

489340[/snapback]

As Carlos said the highland league is an SFA league whereas juniors have their own committee and everything. A while back the juniors broke away i think, to form a different organisation.

As for standards, Juniors in the North are around the same standard as low Highland League players, whereas in the South they are better. The Juniors in South get all the old SFL players, whereas in the north it is more old Highland league and those that cant make it. I would say the juniors in the south are more like middle to top highland league level.

Guest Wheezy

I think some Highland League clubs have better setups than some of the junior clubs down south though and the general standard of the Highland League would be more like a SF4th division.

Deveronvale, Buckie etc are well run clubs with decent facilities.

Guest Caleyking
I think some Highland League clubs have better setups than some of the junior clubs down south though and the general standard of the Highland League would be more like a SF4th division.

Deveronvale, Buckie etc are well run clubs with decent facilities.

496486[/snapback]

As are Kilwinning Buffs, Glenafton etc

Archived