Evil Neighbours Thread

• 1 month later...

Not the right thread but most suitable. Bought my first flat, got the keys today and with excitement went in today to look around prior to moving. Next door neighbours were incredibly loud, shouting and laughing. Trying not to panic too much before moving in as they might have had friends over or something, but a tad worrying. The walls are clearly very thin.

On 18/11/2018 at 15:32, grumswall said:

Trying to work with the council to get our neighbours moved at the moment. We own our house and they are council tenants. Was told to report everything to the police, which we did. Out of the blue got a call from her ex, who is her kids dad warning me that if I call the police again he would get involved. The blokes not someone I could personally take on. So it has left us in a bit of a predicament. Noise diary's are being kept but we've been told unless we report everything to the police the council won't do anything other than issue a warning. My 10 month old being woken and kept up at night due to the loud music and shouting is beyond a joke. That fed up with it all that I am thinking of moving now. That would mean that they've managed to run two family's out of this house though and my stubbornness doesn't want them to win again.

I have a similar issue.

New council neighbours moved in next door and we own our house.

10 month old who is woken up regularly by wheelie bins being dragged about at early hours of the morning, bottles and cans dropped out the window onto their patio, they tend to communicate at the same volume as a chainsaw at all hours of the day and night, their cats shiteing everywhere (other cats about but never happened till they moved in with 4 cats) is a fucking pain.

One of them has started concreting in what looks like some sort of medieval contraption at the bottom of the garden which looks right into mine -  now they sit there and smoke weed all day long.

The other day I caught the same guy sneaking into my garden and having a go at my shed. I went out to tell him to f**k off and he said he wanted to borrow a saw. I told him if he'd asked me I might have given him it and his reply was "I don't ask anyone for anything". Proper fucking thick.

Best one was a couple of weekends ago, 8pm, wee man just got to sleep, fucking lawnmower fires up. The guy had daisy chained 6 (six) 4 point extension leads out his first floor window and into his garden so he could cut the grass.

Ive phoned the council and explained the situation but was also advised to call the polis who suggested a noise diary like yourself. Regarding the shed, they said, wait for it, because he hadn't actually broken into the shed it's not a criminal offence!

I'd spoken to the neighbours several times and asked if they could keep the noise down at night and its gone in one ear and out the next. Now its escalating to trespassing and breaking noise rules at night. It's really pissing me off.

I'm so close to chapping their door but as soon as I do that I've lost the game here I think.

I have a similar issue.
10 month old who is woken up regularly by wheelie bins being dragged about at early hours of the morning, bottles and cans dropped out the window onto their patio, they tend to communicate at the same volume as a chainsaw at all hours of the day and night, their cats shiteing everywhere (other cats about but never happened till they moved in with 4 cats) is a fucking pain.
One of them has started concreting in what looks like some sort of medieval contraption at the bottom of the garden which looks right into mine -  now they sit there and smoke weed all day long.
The other day I caught the same guy sneaking into my garden and having a go at my shed. I went out to tell him to f**k off and he said he wanted to borrow a saw. I told him if he'd asked me I might have given him it and his reply was "I don't ask anyone for anything". Proper fucking thick.
Best one was a couple of weekends ago, 8pm, wee man just got to sleep, fucking lawnmower fires up. The guy had daisy chained 6 (six) 4 point extension leads out his first floor window and into his garden so he could cut the grass.
Ive phoned the council and explained the situation but was also advised to call the polis who suggested a noise diary like yourself. Regarding the shed, they said, wait for it, because he hadn't actually broken into the shed it's not a criminal offence!
I'd spoken to the neighbours several times and asked if they could keep the noise down at night and its gone in one ear and out the next. Now its escalating to trespassing and breaking noise rules at night. It's really pissing me off.
I'm so close to chapping their door but as soon as I do that I've lost the game here I think.

Do you have a witness to the shed? If so and its not a shared garden or whatever then you have two options, attempted theft of opening a lockfast place or sec 57 civic government scotland act (being in premises/area without lawful authority/reasonable excuse in circumstances where it can be reasonably inferred you’re there to commit theft). But if you don’t have any corroboration you’re onto plums.

7 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Do you have a witness to the shed? If so and its not a shared garden or whatever then you have two options, attempted theft of opening a lockfast place or sec 57 civic government scotland act (being in premises/area without lawful authority/reasonable excuse in circumstances where it can be reasonably inferred you’re there to commit theft). But if you don’t have any corroboration you’re onto plums.

Donald Findlay^^^

it’s easy for people reading posts on here to say get them done in etc but it’s a hard situation to be in. my neighbors seem not bad compared to others on here. some people are right arseholes and no amount of talking will get through to them.

19 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I have a similar issue.

If that was your council Antisocial Team they're falling well.short. When I had a problem they hassled f**k out of the tenant and the private landlord, to the point they moved. They threatened to remove the landlord's licence and made him renovate the house.

13 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Theres no evidence, just my word against his. Thinking about getting a CCTV camera, maybe even a false one would be enough because the guy is thicker than mince.

3 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

If that was your council Antisocial Team they're falling well.short. When I had a problem they hassled f**k out of the tenant and the private landlord, to the point they moved. They threatened to remove the landlord's licence and made him renovate the house.

Any time I have to deal with the council they always fall short. That's why I think I might clock the boy before anything gets done! 

I do think if I irritate the council enough I might get something done.

4 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Theres no evidence, just my word against his. Thinking about getting a CCTV camera, maybe even a false one would be enough because the guy is thicker than mince.

Any time I have to deal with the council they always fall short. That's why I think I might clock the boy before anything gets done! 

I do think if I irritate the council enough I might get something done.

Careful with CCTV, it can only cover your property, it can't be aimed at his. Keep photos of any mess, the diary. Ask the council for a proper recording machine for any noise (They do have them). They'll write to the tenant and warn them a complaint has been made. 

4 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Careful with CCTV, it can only cover your property, it can't be aimed at his. Keep photos of any mess, the diary. Ask the council for a proper recording machine for any noise (They do have them). They'll write to the tenant and warn them a complaint has been made. 

Yeah, I'd be pointing it from the back of the house into the garden. We have a hedge between the gardens other than a few feet at the bottom where he snuck in before. Will enquire about the noise machine.

I get the feeling this mob were relocated here due to their arse-holery in their previous house.

2 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Yeah, I'd be pointing it from the back of the house into the garden. We have a hedge between the gardens other than a few feet at the bottom where he snuck in before. Will enquire about the noise machine.

I get the feeling this mob were relocated here due to their arse-holery in their previous house.

If these fuckers have been punted before, it is likely they'll be moved on again.

Might be worth checking if there is a legal case for the council to answer. if they have knowingly moved proven arseholes in, you've done nothing to warrant them being moved next door to you.

Its not a black and white type issue with cctv coverage, you can’t directly point it at someone else’s property but if its covering yours and just so happens to take in a bit of someone else’s then you’re pretty much alright.

Wouldnt bother with one of the fake ones, two real possibilities 1) they’ll break/steal it or 2) they’ll know its fake or do something then find out its fake pretty quickly, as they seem to be a shower of shite maybe not such a good idea.

Keep a diary of incidents, everything they do wrong, description/time/date, phone the noise team when they are having drunken parties etc. Use the voice record function on your phone if they are making loads of noise or if you catch him at it again. The housing dept at your council will have a team for problem tenants, they might not tell you this, but they do.

Are they only smoking a bit of cannabis or are they selling it? Ie lots of callers at the door for short periods? Is it coming into your house and affecting your kids maybe?

Regarding noise complaints when I spoke to the noise team from fife they said that to install noise monitoring you need to go through the process of phoning the police first to let them witness it. I'm sure it would be ok to record whatever it was from your side via a phone etc then play it to the police.
I'm really thankful next door has calmed down now. Its horrible dealing with it and not knowing when the next sleepless night will come.
Definitely phone the local noise complaint people and keep pushing and being a nuisance. Phone 101 also.

If you think you are not getting enough assistance from the council then firstly write to your councilor outlining the problem and then if no joy write to your MSP and MP.  When the council get a letter from Mp asking for them to outline what they have done they may buck up their ideas.

Update - turns out the concreted in contraption has now been modified into a chicken coop. 

It was modified by wooden boards i was storing in my garden for re doing my fence. The gimp has helped himself to it. A good lot of it too. He's snuck into my garden again and just nicked my stuff. Livid doesn't cover it. I'm not chapping his door. Not wise for me to do that. So I'm going to inform the police and the council.

So now I've got a garden full of cats and chickens shiteing all over the place!

I'm ordering some security cameras, security lights and putting up gates (which i will utterly clort with anti climb paint) on both sides of the communal path round my property so it's another deterrent. I'm also tempted to send the bill to the council because I'm not having their tenant skulking about my property at all hours of the day when I'm at work and my Mrs and kid are at home. Especially when he's the type to not give a f**k about boundaries and ownership. Not cool.

Update - turns out the concreted in contraption has now been modified into a chicken coop. 
It was modified by wooden boards i was storing in my garden for re doing my fence. The gimp has helped himself to it. A good lot of it too. He's snuck into my garden again and just nicked my stuff. Livid doesn't cover it. I'm not chapping his door. Not wise for me to do that. So I'm going to inform the police and the council.
So now I've got a garden full of cats and chickens shiteing all over the place!
I'm ordering some security cameras, security lights and putting up gates (which i will utterly clort with anti climb paint) on both sides of the communal path round my property so it's another deterrent. I'm also tempted to send the bill to the council because I'm not having their tenant skulking about my property at all hours of the day when I'm at work and my Mrs and kid are at home. Especially when he's the type to not give a f**k about boundaries and ownership. Not cool.

Could you beat him in a fight?