Evil Neighbours Thread

Just now, 101 said:

That's the house next door getting emptied, so depending on who gets next door I could be a frequent flyer in this thread.

Anyone get tips to make sure nutters are put off?

Be over-friendly on moving in day. Suggest to them that their moving in is the beginning of a lifelong and binding friendship that goes up to, and including, providing alibis to the police. 

8 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Be over-friendly on moving in day. Suggest to them that their moving in is the beginning of a lifelong and binding friendship that goes up to, and including, providing alibis to the police. 

That's going to attract nutters rather than put them off imo.

As Hedgecutter will tell you, my street is numbered consecutively (as opposed to odd one side, even the other) and for the past f**k knows how long, we have had a constant stream of food delivery drivers at the door looking for the the next number up (which happens to across the road as we are end terrace). 

Is it acceptable to take in someone's curry and eat it on their behalf?

My next door neighbour has a row of bushy hedges on her side of the fence separating our two back gardens. They were planted by the previous owners but obviously it’s up to her to maintain them. Last summer a van pulled up with a chipper and a few guys went and neatly trimmed her side of the hedge, so I was expecting a chap at the door asking if I could open my gate to let them in to get the other side. That chap never came and my side became more and more overgrown.

After a family party out my backdoor a cousin commented on how out of control the hedge was getting and said he would jump up with his chainsaw and trim it down, which he did a few weeks later. I was left with a mountain of garden waste that I could have either paid to dispose of, or burn it. I actually did neither and just launched it all over the hedge into the neighbours garden, branch by branch. Very petty, but she’s never said a word about it as she knows it should be her dealing with it. 

She also has an Alsatian that she keeps in a kennel outside, if someone farts 4 doors up it barks for 20 minutes, wether it’s two in the morning or two in the afternoon. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

1 minute ago, IrishBhoy said:

My next door neighbour has a row of bushy hedges on her side of the fence separating our two back gardens. They were planted by the previous owners but obviously it’s up to her to maintain them. Last summer a van pulled up with a chipper and a few guys went and neatly trimmed her side of the hedge, so I was expecting a chap at the door asking if I could open my gate to let them in to get the other side. That chap never came and my side became more and more overgrown.

After a family party out my backdoor a cousin commented on how out of control the hedge was getting and said he would jump up with his chainsaw and trim it down, which he did a few weeks later. I was left with a mountain of garden waste that I could have either paid to dispose of, or burn it. I actually did neither and just launched it all over the hedge into the neighbours garden, branch by branch. Very petty, but she’s never said a word about it as she knows it should be her dealing with it. 

I wouldn't expect the owner to come and trim the trees on your side of the fence if it's an enclosed garden. 

Sounds like you're the evil neighbour here m9, shouldn't of let it get so over grown in the first place.

3 minutes ago, 101 said:

I wouldn't expect the owner to come and trim the trees on your side of the fence if it's an enclosed garden. 

Sounds like you're the evil neighbour here m9, shouldn't of let it get so over grown in the first place.

I have a 4 foot fence on my side, the hedge is completely on her side of that fence. Would you really be expecting someone to maintain a hedge that sits in someone else’s garden?  

For added context, the hedge is about 12 foot high and runs about 20 metres in length. It’s not a ten minute job, and not something I would even attempt. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

Just now, IrishBhoy said:

I have a 4 foot fence on my side, the hedge is completely on her side of that fence. Would you really be expecting someone to maintain a hedge that sits in someone else’s garden?  

Yeh if it's over hanging on your side of the fence

1 minute ago, 101 said:

Yeh if it's over hanging on your side of the fence

I added a bit to the post above, it’s not a daft wee hedge that I could jump out and trim in 10 minutes, and I would need ladders to even reach the top. I’m not going to put myself in danger by climbing up a set of ladders with a chainsaw in my hand to cut someone else’s hedge. 

If the hedge happened to be on my side and I’d hired a few guys to come in and trim it for me, I would also be telling them to go next door and trim the other side, just out of courtesy. 

27 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

She also has an Alsatian that she keeps in a kennel outside, if someone farts 4 doors up it barks for 20 minutes, wether it’s two in the morning or two in the afternoon. 

Think she’s perfectly within her rights to set the Alsatian on you.

19 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Think she’s perfectly within her rights to set the Alsatian on you.

I’m surprised at that reaction :lol: maybe I’m weird in thinking that the contents of my garden are my responsibility to deal with. If I had a hedge over growing into someone else’s garden, and went to the bother of hiring a company to come and trim it, I would absolutely be making sure both sides were done. Really didn’t think that would be a controversial opinion. I’ve added a photo to show the height, if it was a daft bramble bush I wouldn’t have an issue, but it’s 12 foot high and about 60 foot in length, and also not in my garden. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

My sister has a lovely high hedge running the length of my garden. Her neighbour benefits from the privacy it affords.

She likes to keep it neat.  Recently, a few weeks after a noisy party ( she don't mind this, live and let live), and whilst she was sunbathing, the neighbour launched a pile of cuttings over hedge into her garden. This was obviously very frightening for her.

Should I tell her to set her dog on him?

15 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I’m surprised at that reaction :lol: maybe I’m weird in thinking that the contents of my garden are my responsibility to deal with. If I had a hedge over growing into someone else’s garden, and went to the bother of hiring a company to come and trim it, I would absolutely be making sure both sides were done. Really didn’t think that would be a controversial opinion. I’ve added a photo to show the height, if it was a daft bramble bush I wouldn’t have an issue, but it’s 12 foot high and about 60 foot in length, and also not in my garden. 

B259BD2C-0172-49A4-AB34-F2C105542F26.jpeg

I'm with you on this - if it's my hedge then it's mine to take care of and remove as I see fit.  So, If I was having it cut then I'd have both sides cut albeit with the permission of the other party to come into their property to cut the hedge. I do the same now with a short wall between my neighbours at either side when they need painted.

11 minutes ago, Mr Waldo said:

My sister has a lovely high hedge running the length of my garden. Her neighbour benefits from the privacy it affords.

She likes to keep it neat.  Recently, a few weeks after a noisy party ( she don't mind this, live and let live), and whilst she was sunbathing, the neighbour launched a pile of cuttings over hedge into her garden. This was obviously very frightening for her.

Should I tell her to set her dog on him?

What kind of dog is it?

On 27/08/2021 at 23:25, Lex said:

Stopped taking parcels for a neighbour a couple of months ago. I live next to a couple in their 50’s who are nice enough.
But there’s three daughters who are prolific online shoppers who seem to move in and move out on a fairly regular basis, but keep their parents address as the delivery address.
Which would be fine if their parents were ever in during the day, but they aren’t.
It was getting to the stage during lockdown where I was taking in about five parcels a day while working from home. The sheepish dad would then come round in the evening to collect the days swag.
Got sick of that fairly quickly and now just give a ‘sorry don’t take parcels for them’ whenever i get one. Seem to be getting less rings now as well, the delivery guys must be learning.
Who knows who’s getting them now, but it’s never been mentioned during the occasional chats i have with them about the weather or the nights fair drawing in.

I was getting a bit to that stage but my neighbour across the street.  A serial Amazon shopper who doesn't work from home.  I refused once and never been asked to take one since.

Why do these people not put their work as their delivery address? Easier than having to traipse down to the depot you'd have thought.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

I was getting a bit to that stage but my neighbour across the street.  A serial Amazon shopper who doesn't work from home.  I refused once and never been asked to take one since.

Why do these people not put their work as their delivery address? Easier than having to traipse down to the depot you'd have thought.

Do you not have any Amazon delivery points in the area? There’s a couple near me, and if I was ordering something and knew I wasn’t going to be home, it would be easy to use them.

On a related note, with regard to my neighbors:

1) First response was they couldn’t afford to pay their portion of a new privacy fence till next year.

2) Later agreed to pay for a portion now, more later.

3) Have now agreed to share the costs of a new 6’ privacy fence along the whole property line next week AND agreed to not object to us paying to make the whole thing 8’ tall.

Took a good bit of hammering on the asshole husband about it, but once the wife got wind of a possible new privacy fence, she started pushing him to get it done. Mildly disappointed they didn’t agree to foot the final extra $450 it would have cost to completely split it, but a decent result.

And, finally, the tactic of placing the recycling cart direct in front of the street parker nearly blocking our drive has backed her ass up! A good couple of weeks of work.

34 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Do you not have any Amazon delivery points in the area? There’s a couple near me, and if I was ordering something and knew I wasn’t going to be home, it would be easy to use them.

On a related note, with regard to my neighbors:

1) First response was they couldn’t afford to pay their portion of a new privacy fence till next year.

2) Later agreed to pay for a portion now, more later.

3) Have now agreed to share the costs of a new 6’ privacy fence along the whole property line next week AND agreed to not object to us paying to make the whole thing 8’ tall.

Took a good bit of hammering on the asshole husband about it, but once the wife got wind of a possible new privacy fence, she started pushing him to get it done. Mildly disappointed they didn’t agree to foot the final extra $450 it would have cost to completely split it, but a decent result.

And, finally, the tactic of placing the recycling cart direct in front of the street parker nearly blocking our drive has backed her ass up! A good couple of weeks of work.

What on earth are you talking about?