Argentinian relegation weirdness

Borys

The way Agentina relegates teams from its top flight is of a simplicity comparable with the Belgian league's format :)

In simplest terms - a team stays up or goes down/into the play-out on its average from the last three seasons.

A team which after 18 out of 19 games may yet win the Clausura - i.e. Tigre:

1 Arsenal S. played 18 points 35

2 Tigre played 18 points 35

3 Boca Juniors played 18 points 33

4 Newells Old Boys played 18 points 31

if it fails to win the competition may end up relegated instead:

16ºTigre average p/g 1,274 144pts 113games

17ºAtlético de Rafaela average p/g 1,270 47pts 37games

If Tigre looses and Atletico win their last matches, Tigre goes into the playout :)

and will face the 4th team in the 2nd Division.

Borys

The Irish used to be as bad, well, almost.

I posted in the ttrivia thread eons ago about a club who had to lose their last game to stay up :blink: , a draw or win sent them down.

They lost :lol:

It's been seen as a way to keeping the "big names" in the top flight, that obviously went up in smoke when River Plate were relegated last year.

Next season they plan to keep the average point system but will be moving to a system where the team finishing top after each 19 game half doesn't win a championship, it's going to be over 38 games instead.

The Irish used to be as bad, well, almost.

I posted in the ttrivia thread eons ago about a club who had to lose their last game to stay up :blink: , a draw or win sent them down.

They lost :lol:

Surely that cant be right? laugh.giflaugh.gif

The system's actually very simple once you get your head around it. Whether it's fair or not is another thing entirely.

River may be coming back up. They're currently top, but the top four places in the Primera B are really, really tight:

http://www.soccerway.com/national/argentina/prim-b-nacional/2011-2012/regular-season/

I reckon River and Institutio will both win at the weekend and go up. Central looked like stick-ons recently but absolutely blew it. I can see them blowing the play-off as well and spending their third consecutive season in the second tier.

Surely that cant be right? laugh.giflaugh.gif

Took a while but found it, takes a bit to get your head round though

Let's hand things over to Ciaran Grant: "This put me in mind of when the Irish League decided to split in two in order to form the Irish Premier League during the 1990s. It was decided that the eight best teams would be decided by taking their average league position over the course of two seasons. Roll on the final day of the season in April 1995. Coleraine and Bangor both shared 8th position on average and both had local derbies to play against Ballymena and Ards respectively. Coleraine had the upper hand as they were in 7th position and Bangor were 11th.

"What the IFA hadn't thought of, though, was this: Ards were one point behind Coleraine so if Coleraine failed to win their match and Ards won against Bangor then Ards would move above Coleraine pushing their average down slightly, meaning Bangor would have a better average and it would be them that would go into the new Premier League. And guess what – this is exactly what happened. At half time Ards lead Bangor 1-0 and Coleraine v Ballymena was scoreless. In the second half Ards scored again (to the cheers of the Bangor fans) and ran out 2-0 winners. If I recall correctly Bangor didnt exactly try in the second half. Coleraine and Ballymena ended 0-0 and thus although Bangor lost it was they that stayed in the top flight."

........and some of you want to hand over The Falklands!

If I mind the last time the Falklands were in that division, it was FC Belgrano that slipped down a few leagues......

If I mind the last time the Falklands were in that division, it was FC Belgrano that slipped down a few leagues......

Aye, a bit like the new Rangers submarine......Heard there was 20,000 leagues under the sea. So thought one was bound to let them in.

Yeah, you should see the one in Hajduk.....

Split's the city, Hajduk's the name. Good effort though, A+++++++ would read again

Split's the city, Hajduk's the name. Good effort though, A+++++++ would read again

I believe the standard response is..... 'yer maw' <_<

The system's actually very simple once you get your head around it. Whether it's fair or not is another thing entirely.

This. When the whole River Plate situation came about last season I read all about it. It's not actually that tough to understand, and neither's the Belgian one. People just need to take the time to read about it.

Brilliant.

This. When the whole River Plate situation came about last season I read all about it. It's not actually that tough to understand, and neither's the Belgian one. People just need to take the time to read about it.

I know, I know.

It's just that there are people who can't grasp how the Scottish split works ...

Bortys

Such a careless thread.

4th July 2012

"The SPL would like to announce that Rangers will continue in the SPL but with a hefty 60 point reduction. We would also like to take this opportunity to unveil our exciting new relegation system.........."

Slight inaccuracy in the OP, Tigre can win (thus guaranteeing at worst a title play off) and as long as Rafaela win, their average will jump above Tigre's (due to less games played thus the extra 3 points makes more of a change), so Tigre could be involved in playoffs for the title AND to stay up. How they would schedule them all in, I'm not so sure.

etc: "would" to "could"

Slight inaccuracy in the OP, Tigre can win (thus guaranteeing at worst a title play off) and as long as Rafaela win, their average will jump above Tigre's (due to less games played thus the extra 3 points makes more of a change), so Tigre could be involved in playoffs for the title AND to stay up. How they would schedule them all in, I'm not so sure.

etc: "would" to "could"

Thank you for claryfing /expanding my post. I overlooked the different numbers of games of the two.

Borys

Archived