Player's who could've been...

As a Celtic fan would you put McStay in this thread? I always felt he was to use Archies's phrase"majestic" at times but kind of lost it a bit especially when he was captain,personally I thin he should have tried England , i remember Man U were keen on him.

McStay was majestic, when he had decent players around him. The Celtic midfield of Provan, McStay, McLeod and Burns was mouthwatering.

He probably paid for his loyalty to the club and ended up with midfield partners like Stuart Slater and Mike Galloway..

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scott Brown's an interesting one, of the Hibernian "Golden Generation" he could possibly be classed as one of the most "successful", only really Gary Caldwell and Steven Fletcher played at a higher level while Kevin Thomson's been ruined by injuries and Garry O'Connor and Derek Riordan aren't worth talking about.

It's hard to see whether he's actually reached his potential though as he was arguably the least talented of those players

The Champions League is a much higher level than Steven Fletcher has achieved. He has playeed with a diddy side in the EPL. A very overrated league in my opinion. A bigger League than up here, that much is obvious but to say Fletcher has played at a higher level than Brown i wouldn't say is correct.

That loan to Motherwell was the worst thing for everyone concerned.

He was shit at Motherwell, so the fans got on his back and he came back shit with a shit attitude. I remember one interview where he was pissed off at the fact he didnt get home to Edinburgh until half four whilst he was in Motherwell which didnt go down well.

When he came back, he had the fans on his back for most of the time, but at the start of JJ's first full season, he began well and was unfortunate to pick up an injury and never really got back in the team which was a shame as I thought he was going to come good in the end.

Correct. He mentioned something along the lines of he had to leave his house at 9am, and he wasn't getting back home until almost 5 o'clock due to the travelling involved.

It must have been terrible for him, such a long day..............

He was fucking brutal at Fir Park as well, and to be singled out like that is an achievement as he played in the Maurice Malpas season.

Thommo was always the same.

On that note Scott Brown - best player I've seen come through at Hibernian. Could have played for a top European side completely wasted now in the goldfish bowl.

Always thought that Kenny Miller and Derek Riordan were the best we brought through. Going back to old spunkers like me, Joe McBride Jnr was the most talented player that never fulfilled his potential, fantastic player, completely different to his dad, who if anyone wants to check Joe McBride Snr out on Wiki to see a goals/games ratio to die for.

George McCluskey, wonderful talent looked as if he could be a world beatter but didn't like the attention of playing for one of the OF, just said fek this and chucked it in.

We signed him from Leeds. Scored a fair few goals for us but had no work rate at all and an arse you could park a bus on.

Wonderfully skilful player though and could have done a job as a lot of younger players were coming through but was more interested in getting a move to the west to be nearer his pals and He ended up at Hamilton.

Btw surprised nobody has said Chic Charnley! ;-)

If there was a comment worth debating, I would.

Brown good enough for a top European club? Geez a break. He's a runner with very little technical ability.

Larf! Talking of comments not worth debating....

Always rated Brown, thought he had the potential to make an impact in a bigger league. Not now though, hasn't progressed much with Celtic.

Scott Brown's terrific player in a limited team - Celtic, Scotland, Everton, Stoke, Wigan, etc. If you put him in a more progressive lineup, his limitations would be exposed. No, I think Scott Brown's made a name for himself using the most of his abilities. Really the only way he could further it would be a move to a mid-table EPL side. Which may quite possibly happen. Not sure he's in this thread on merit, to be honest.

It's always hard to decide if a player will make something of themselves or not, no matter how good they look when they're young. How many people would have honestly thought that Charlie Adam would turn out to be that good?

It's utterly depressing the amount of promising youngsters we lose to drink and complacency. Quite staggering, actually.

Never mind I'm sure the clubs all have progressive support programs warning youngsters of the dangers associated with alcohol and keeping the wrong company to try and ensure they reach their potential.

Anyway... Nicholas was a huge waste of talent. Should have been one of the best in Europe but did basically zip in his career.

One guy I feel sorry for is Shaun Maloney. He's a rarity in that he seems genuinely honest and hard working but his career has been ruined by injuries.

It's always hard to decide if a player will make something of themselves or not, no matter how good they look when they're young. How many people would have honestly thought that Charlie Adam would turn out to be that good?

me tongue.gif

In the late sixties/early seventies Celtic signed a player from Ashfield called Tony McBride,a right winger that Jock Stein was of the opinion that he had the potential to be as good as Jimmy Johnstone. Stein was ready to give McBride every chance but the only thing that held him back was the fact that he was always prone to end up in the jail,which he did,a few times. By all accounts he was a very good footballer who could have went right to the top.

Calum Elliot i still feel could be an 15 goal a year striker - just was never going to click for him and most some other strikers recently at the club (elliott & sutton) playing in a one man up top system

Kizys - ran the show at parkhead in a 2-0 win then dissapeared very quickly once burley arrived

• 2 years later...

Too many to mention really. John Stewart springs to mind. He was described as the best finisher at the club for a long time and we occasionally saw glimpses of what he could do, last minute winner at Celtic park being one, but his love of booze, fags and bookies just ruined him. f**k knows where he is now.

I'd also add Zander Diamond and Chris Maguire to the list, both believed the hype and just never reached anything like the level they should have.

Bumping this due to the interview with Diamond in the Record a couple of days ago - http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-aberdeen-prodigy-zander-diamond-3886677

“At 29, I should be coming into the peak of my career at Northampton."

Archived