Player's who could've been...

There was a guy a few years back who was at Celtic around the same time as Simon Donnelly et al, called Marc Anthony. He bounced around the lower leagues - Alloa springs to mind - but technically he was far better than most of the guys in the Celtic team at the time. I can only assume he was half arsed in training, because he should never have been playing at such a low level.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marc Anthony i recall playing for Berwick, he had an arse like a glesga taxi driver...! When i was at an albion game v them at forthbank he got subbed, i think Jimmy Crease was the Berwick boss and he launched a string of fucks at him as he stropped down the tunnel, i think his assistant ran down the tunnel after him! So i think your attitude theory could be spot on.

Paul Bradshaw was a superb footballer. An almighty shame he was absolutely batshit mental.

Zander Sutherland was another who I thought would go far. I remember the last game of 06-07 away to St Mirren, he tore Kirk Broadfoot a new one and set up Stuart McCaffrey for the winner. He's now at Buckie Thistle and has won a couple of HL titles. Apparently his attitude stinks.

We once had a player called Paul Bradshaw. He was absolutely immense and is probably still the greatest talent we have unearthed since we turned up in the SFL. He was tall and had tremendous technique, and was tipped as being the new Duncan Ferguson. This was a very apt description as he was a nutjob.

In a testimonial game Gordon Strachan took hi Coventry side up (it was a strong side) and an inspired Bradshaw performance resulted in a 4-3 win and Strachan enquiring about buying him. Bradshaw had no interest and said that he would wait for a real big side to come in for him! He fell out with Neale Cooper as he was drinking etc, and he was eventually freed.

He turned up in the Highland League for Brora and eased through matches winning countless MOM awards. Caley then signed him, and released him within three months as Pele Paterson thought he was a bit mental.

He then had quick spells at Forres and Brora. Somehow he managed to attract the attention of the Celtic scouts. He was then asked to come down for a trial, and he did well. However the local job centre found out and he got charged with benefit fraud as he was receiving incapacity benefit.

Absolute fruit loop, that easily could have been a Ross County legend. All the ability in the world.

Paul Bradshaw was a superb footballer. An almighty shame he was absolutely batshit mental.

My brother was in hospital on Millenium Eve getting his appendix out, Paul Bradshaw was admitted to the same ward that night having been stabbed by his "ex-friends". A complete and utter nutter, with bags of potential. Shame he wasted it, but the background he came from played a big part in it.

The 1989 Scotland U-16 team- beat a Portugal team containing Luis Figo and one or two others of the "Golden Generation" in the Semis but most of the players went on to do very little in their careers...

June 20, 1989

20:15

Portugal 22px-Flag_of_Portugal.svg.png0–122px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.pngScotlandTynecastle, Edinburgh

Attendance: 29,000

Referee: Jean-Marie Lartigotbtw- 29,000 at Tynecastle??! :blink:

I was there!

Most of our golden generation, bar Steven Fletcher, have pretty much lost their way. Garry O'Connor did have a successful stint in Russia and did OK in England but never reached the heights anyone expected. Derek Riordan was a monumental waste of talent. Scott Brown appears to have found his comfort zone in the SPL rather than go to a bigger league. Kevin Thomson appears to have stalled in the championship.

Too many to mention really. John Stewart springs to mind. He was described as the best finisher at the club for a long time and we occasionally saw glimpses of what he could do, last minute winner at Celtic park being one, but his love of booze, fags and bookies just ruined him. f**k knows where he is now.

I'd also add Zander Diamond and Chris Maguire to the list, both believed the hype and just never reached anything like the level they should have.

Signed for Burton Albion today if Twitter is telling me the truth.

Stephen "FFS" Simmons is the archetype of "wasted talent" as far as Hearts are concerned. His debut season must've been around ten years ago now, and everyone remembers him scoring a belter against Rangers in a 2-2 draw (I was at the game, but I'm pretty sure it was on Sky too).

By all accounts he believed his hype, hung around for another few years without doing much, then trickled down the leagues.

We once had a player called Paul Bradshaw...

Turned down Dalglish at Blackburn too, with Chelsea (Man U too I think) rumoured to be sniffing around as well. This was 95-96 when Blackburn were reigning Premiership Champions.

To be honest, I never thought he stood out for us to any great extent, but I was only 14/15 so obviously didn't recognise the potential Strachan/Dalglish etc did. Do remember being impressed a 16year old was holding his own in the first team. More vividly remember going mental in the jailend when he scored that header against Brechin, that goal and his subdued celebration are burned into my memory.

Bradshaw being courted by the Prem

Wasted it all by being as fine an example of a Milnafua tink as you could hope for. If he'd had Don Cowie's temperament god knows where'd he be now. Stories of him being stabbed, cheating on benefits, being found in the bookies/pub when he was meant to be playing in Highland League games, etc all far too common.

Bradshaw's latest brush with fame/the police

Don't think Marc Burchill ever had it to be honest. I saw Larsson lose the rag with him on more than one occasion because of his lack of anticipation. He just got lucky for a brief spell in a decent Celtic team.

Biggest waste of talent was Charlie Nicholas. He really was a special talent when he broke through and you could see that the entire Celtic team was lifted by his presence. When he broke his leg during the run-in of the 1981/2 season, Celtic then went on to squander an easy lead over Aberdeen and only just won it in the end. I think he revived a wee bit when he went to Aberdeen, but it was only fraction of what he could have become.

I thought Stevie Fulton could have been a bit special too. At one point he was outshining John Collins in the midfield area. Had a great passing range, but really did not look after himself. I think Jim Jeffries got more out of his career than might have been the case.

Derek Riordan had great talent - an eye for the outrageous. He scored a quite outstanding goal for Hibs away to Celtic two seasons back. I doubt if there's been a more naturally talented Scottish footballer in the last decade.

Yes. If Strachen (p***k) gives Riordan more games at Celtie. He could have easily became your top striker at Parkhead.

Craig Thomson.

If he wasn't a nonce he would have played for Scotland.

If he wasn't a nonce, he'd have won a Scottish Cup Winners medal a couple of weeks ago too and have been part of the utter humiliation of the hapless hibs.

Archived