Player's who could've been...

After reading the thread in the First Division I thought I'd see what players SPL teams could come up with.

St Johnstone's main underachiever isw probably Kieran McAnespie, who seemed to have the world at his feet. Not sure where he's ended up now sad.gif

Can only think of Paul Bernard off the top of my head as a big SPL player who never reached his potential

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Derek Riordan?

How could I forget about him! ohmy.gif

Out of him, Fletcher and O'Connor he seemed like the most talented. As much as I hate to admit it the fact he signed for us shows how much talent he wasted

After reading the thread in the First Division I thought I'd see what players SPL teams could come up with.

St Johnstone's main underachiever isw probably Kieran McAnespie, who seemed to have the world at his feet. Not sure where he's ended up now sad.gif

Can only think of Paul Bernard off the top of my head as a big SPL player who never reached his potential

He was with Arbroath last season, his most notable employer is Babestation, where he worked as a cameraman.

We once had a player called Paul Bradshaw. He was absolutely immense and is probably still the greatest talent we have unearthed since we turned up in the SFL. He was tall and had tremendous technique, and was tipped as being the new Duncan Ferguson. This was a very apt description as he was a nutjob.

In a testimonial game Gordon Strachan took hi Coventry side up (it was a strong side) and an inspired Bradshaw performance resulted in a 4-3 win and Strachan enquiring about buying him. Bradshaw had no interest and said that he would wait for a real big side to come in for him! He fell out with Neale Cooper as he was drinking etc, and he was eventually freed.

He turned up in the Highland League for Brora and eased through matches winning countless MOM awards. Caley then signed him, and released him within three months as Pele Paterson thought he was a bit mental.

He then had quick spells at Forres and Brora. Somehow he managed to attract the attention of the Celtic scouts. He was then asked to come down for a trial, and he did well. However the local job centre found out and he got charged with benefit fraud as he was receiving incapacity benefit.

Absolute fruit loop, that easily could have been a Ross County legend. All the ability in the world.

Don't think Marc Burchill ever had it to be honest. I saw Larsson lose the rag with him on more than one occasion because of his lack of anticipation. He just got lucky for a brief spell in a decent Celtic team.

Biggest waste of talent was Charlie Nicholas. He really was a special talent when he broke through and you could see that the entire Celtic team was lifted by his presence. When he broke his leg during the run-in of the 1981/2 season, Celtic then went on to squander an easy lead over Aberdeen and only just won it in the end. I think he revived a wee bit when he went to Aberdeen, but it was only fraction of what he could have become.

I thought Stevie Fulton could have been a bit special too. At one point he was outshining John Collins in the midfield area. Had a great passing range, but really did not look after himself. I think Jim Jeffries got more out of his career than might have been the case.

Derek Riordan had great talent - an eye for the outrageous. He scored a quite outstanding goal for Hibs away to Celtic two seasons back. I doubt if there's been a more naturally talented Scottish footballer in the last decade.

Kevin Thomas - Saw him score in his first two games for hearts when he was 17. Developed a head the size of saturn, got injured, and career poor after that. Actually ended up playing with Bo'ness united for a while.

Simon Donnelly - When first broke through was apparently the new Dalgliesh - ahem

John Fleck - Calls for him to make full Scotland debut after only a handful of games - Can't beat a bit of press hype over a Rangers player

Alan Mahood - Signed by Brian Clough for Notts Forest only to never actually make an appearance.

Archived