• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Used to co-edit Aberdeen fanzine 10 men went to mow. We did 8 issues over the space of two years.

63_10_1.jpg

At the time I thought it was brilliant, but I can't read any of the issues now, find them all a bit cringworthy, but we were teenagers having a laugh.

Used to read a lot of Hearts fanzine "Always the Bridesmaid" as they gave us a lot of help setting it up, and after that we used to post each other each new issue. Was interesting reading the different fortunes of the two clubs at that time.

The Red Final is still going, though I've not bought a copy in years. Think their reputation took a bit of a battering when editor Chris Gavin left to join the Dons board, and despite years of righting all the wrongs in the fanzine, he did next to f**k all when he actually got his chance in the boardroom.

I used to read The Absolute Game too. I could never find it in Aberdeen, however at away games we'd stop in Perth for half an hour, and you always got it in Perth bus station.

Bought a Motherwell fanzine the other week from a lad in the local boozer.

Good read, football fashion, music etc... Not really much in the way of dishing dirt, which I fully expect from a fanzine.

Sick in the Basin was my favourite jags fanzine, back in the day.

I'm sure Stuart Bathgate who writes for Scotland on Sunday was one of the co-editors. Don't know what happened to Archie McGregor who was the main man behind it.

TAG was a great magazine which I always looked forward to getting.

They had an Aberdeen fan who used to do fanzine reviews, he went on to be the Sun's sarcastic TV critic, a certain Ally Ross.

Not that I read The Sun :ph34r:

As jagfox and davej have said sic in the basin was outstanding and along with the johnny flood experience was a crackin read on a long journey home after defeat.

Dont think theres one at firhill now, they all came to prominence due to the old board at firhill being complete c#@ts which always brings fans together to have a collective go! Things are too good at thistle just now for any fanzine to be successful....................or is it

In the age of the internet, paper fanzines have had their day. Blog sites & forums can update in an instant whereas fanzines can find themselves completely behind events from the time it takes to type them up & print them. Moreover, fans don't need to pay for the privilege to read the ones on the net.

In the age of the internet, paper fanzines have had their day. Blog sites & forums can update in an instant whereas fanzines can find themselves completely behind events from the time it takes to type them up & print them. Moreover, fans don't need to pay for the privilege to read the ones on the net.

Not necessarily. People will still pay for well written and insightful articles. The main issue is that a lot of fanzines (the Killie one as a prime example) try too hard to appeal to the lowest common denominator and be 'controversial' just for the sake of it at times. Someone left a copy of the 'Killie Hippo' on the bus not so long ago and the only article of any merit was by P&B's very own CraigKillie. And even that was a rehash of one of his recent blogs.

I don't agree.
At its best, an article in a printed publication can be better than an online piece. For a start it's likely to have worked harder to appear in the limited number of pages in a fanzine than its counterpart in a less-heavily curated online site.
And, yes, the lack of immediacy might be a drawback in some ways, but it isn't critical (a fanzine might be a few days at the printer, but if St Johnstone were crap last Saturday, there's a fair bet they'll still be crap this week). And this absence of up-to-the-minute reaction has an upside. It should serve to improve the quality of the printed article: it needs to be better written, more considered and better researched. After all, there's no chance of quickly correcting or improving an article after it's printed.
The fact that people have to pay for the privilege of reading an article is only a downside if you think that free things are better. Sometimes it means that the standard of the fanzine has to be higher to justify that investment from the reader.
Note, I'm not saying print is better than online. But it *can* be, and it's hackneyed to dismiss it as irrelevant in 'the Internet age'.
* Side issue, but I often hear the argument that internet articles are free. That's only the case if you dismiss the cost of your PC/phone & internet connection as a sunk cost.

My old man still has a full collection of The Final Hurdle in his house somewhere. A few of the guys who wrote it were involved in the United For Change movement(which was all very shady), Martin Manzie and Lord Firestarter of Invergowrie to name a couple. Think man of the moment Jim Spence possibly did a bit as well.

Was always a decnt alternative view, but fizzled out ultimately when Thomspson got into the club.

Edit: I remember Dundee had one called "Eh mind o` Gillie" as well.

Dont think theres one at firhill now, they all came to prominence due to the old board at firhill being complete c#@ts which always brings fans together to have a collective go! Things are too good at thistle just now for any fanzine to be successful....................or is it

Part of me wants to say "challenge accepted", but my knowledge wouldn't be up to scratch and 3 months editing the school magazine told me I was never cut out for that kind of thing. If someone was to launch one I'd certainly pick it up though. Our programme is good, but there's certainly room for something else.

edit: I think there is room for fanzines, for the same reason there's still room for print magazines. They need to be well written and features-based to avoid being overtaken by events which will already have been reported elsewhere.

They did, along with one called "It's half past four and we're 2-0 down".The final hurdle was great stuff.

The fact Angus Crook, Ron Dixon et al were over the road gave them plenty material to work with. Jim "Coco the clown" Smith was an eternal source of amusement. They weren't afraid to get stuck into McLean either.

SLJ bought the Killie Hippo yesterday. It was shite.

Sick in the Basin is supposedly going to make a come-back. We had the guy who made it on the Jagscast this week but it's not been put up because of technical issues or something. Looks pretty good.

SLJ bought the Killie Hippo yesterday. It was shite.

Sick in the Basin is supposedly going to make a come-back. We had the guy who made it on the Jagscast this week but it's not been put up because of technical issues or something. Looks pretty good.

You're not allowed to slate anything said or done by 'Hippo'. It is one of the Kilmarnock support cardinal sins. His posse will be after you soon.

Archived