What's your clubs like? Do you buy them?

I haven't bought 'The Killie Hippo' in years as I think it's poorly produced and quite immature at times. Credit has to go to the people who dedicate their time to them of course, but we could do better IMO.

If I remember rightly we used to have a magazine called 'Kissing the Squirrels' back in the day that was good.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have more than 90 minutes

The alternative view

Not the view

A new one called the huddle (only been one issue so far)

Not the view is the oldest and still very good

More than 90 minutes is excellent

Alternative view is ok.

When i was a nipper i used to collect them, Killie Ken was a good read. I also wrote the odd article for Rave On ( stirling albion) regular p&b poster stewarty mac was co-editor. I also wrote one or two pieces for Absolute Game, a general scottish football one.

Of the ones on offer at Celtic games there are one or two irish based oned with a fair dollop of political stuff which i unwittingly bought once and avoid. Of the purely football ones 'Not the View' is a superb read, clever, funny and incisive.

The Alternative View less of a good read IMO, one or two not bad pieces but generally an extended ego trip for that fanny Matt 'i was part of celts for change' McGlone

Still got hundreds in a box in the house. Falkirk had a good one. Thistle had a few around the peak time of late 80s early 90s. Dear John, Sick in the Basin were all good. WaS was a bit square and the Harry Wragg was a bit dpdgy. My favourite was the Johnny Flood Experience, a photo copied one man effort. Used to get them at mpst away grounds and they were a mixed bag. Remember some bigot selling the red hand at Ibronx, whem I asked him what it had to do with football I was telt to feck off. Karma can be a bitch :lol:

Many moons ago we had one called 'There's A Store Where The Creatures Meet' (from the Doors song Love St). It was excellent and I bought that instead of the program. However there aren't any now which is a pity as I liked the fanzines and would buy the opposition one at away games as well - usually a good and irreverent read. But we have P&B now :)

One Step Beyond and Waiting For The Great Leap Forward.

Don't think I've missed an issue of both for a good few years now. Much prefer them to programmes, I only buy those at cup games now incase we go all the way and win it.

The Final Hurdle was inspired and very, very funny. Hasn't been produced for years though, mainly due to the internet and partly because much of its raison d'etre was to bring about change in the United boardroom during the McLean era, or at least offer an alternative, critical voice (seems a bit ludicrous now).

Not Scottish but I went to games at old trafford, st James park and the stadium of light last season and fans of those 3 teams have a few between them.

Man utd have red news, red issue, united we stand all very good reads.

Newcastle have black and white army, true faith and another one, name of which I forget. They are also excellent especially true faith.

Sunderland also jade a couple, again I forget their names. But again very good.

Stopped buying them years ago, a case of - same old, same old.

The celticminded O'Broons in number one were worth a chuckle or two back in the day tho..

SQ - Saints Quarterly was an outstanding Fanzine.

Famous for that fantastic board game as a tribute to our friends, the fans of Greenock Morton.

Name of the game ...

SCUMOPOLY

Stopped buying them years ago, a case of - same old, same old.

The celticminded O'Broons in number one were worth a chuckle or two back in the day tho..

number one was a far superior read to follow follow imo, more humour and of course the celtic minded obroons were hilarious :lol:

I thought the internet had killed the fanzine...

I used to read "AWOL" at Meadowbank- a good read. And "The Thistle" too, which went from a fairly tame magazine to one that got right up Bill "Blobby" Hunter and exposed scandal Blobby's pals in the media weren't interested in.

When I was a student in Aberdeen I used to read "the Northern Light" and its successors "The Red Final" and "Paper Tiger". I wasn't an Aberdeen fan, I just liked the bitter cynicism and humour.

By chance I was tidying up tonight and found the Oct/Nov 92 edition of the late, lamented "The Absolute Game". I'd like to quote from Archie McGregor's editiorial:

"One wonders how Murray might react to persistent questioning along the lines of 'Mr Murray, last year you lost £4 million in almost as many months on a failed media venture, why should we have any confidence in your ability to make a decent job of running a football league?'..."

Hmmm...... :rolleyes:

Two best ones in Scotland i've seen are "Away from the Numbers" and "One Step Beyond". both hilarious.

GLF was a good read too, as was the Hearts one No Idle Talk. and going back a few years, QOS's "Nightmare on Terregles Street"(sic)

I briefly made one, with the help of a couple of friends, made one called "Penalty" - a reference to the fact we kept missing them. Did 6 issues, but wasn't financially viable, plus we used up too many articles in the spaces where the letters ought to have been ( no bugger wrote to us) .

There's a Store Where the Creatures Meet was one of the best ones around. Others I really liked were

Paper Roses

Mo Mo Super Mo (Montrose)

The Final Hurdle

AWOL (Meadowbank)

The Northern Light

Falkirk Unofficial

Is The Red Final still in existence? Was occasionally a good read, even if practically every article regardless of subject matter was eventually boiled down to a final paragraph saying the author hated Rangers.

Archived