Fabien Barthez

Reina

Unless I'm very much mistaken, HIV/AIDS have never been transmitted by saliva, tears or sweat.

483820[/snapback]

You are definitely right. HIV is a blood disease, so can only be transmitted anywhere where blood can be transferred between people. If the person spitting had a burst lip or gums were bleeding, then he would be able to transfer HIV.

IT is disgusting however, and i would ban the people for a year for it. No need for it at all. Atleast if you stamp/punch someone they will be hurt from it. (not condoning such action, just think its a better way of showing frustration than SPitting.)

Oh aye, I'm not trying to make excuses for the guy. It's fuckin' rank and should be punished severely. However, I find it very strange that it's often treated as a more barbaric practice than the good ol' career-ending tackle. It should be punished, but I think people need to get a bit of perspective as well.

Oh aye, I'm not trying to make excuses for the guy. It's fuckin' rank and should be punished severely. However, I find it very strange that it's often treated as a more barbaric practice than the good ol' career-ending tackle. It should be punished, but I think people need to get a bit of perspective as well.

484267[/snapback]

I think the difference with career ending tackle is that sometimes the only person who can tell if it is deliberate or not is the person making the tackle. With spitting you are 100% it is deliberate or not.

I do agree that if someone deliberately tries to end someones career it is shocking, and i would ban them for life.

Guest Pompey
Unless I'm very much mistaken, HIV/AIDS have never been transmitted by saliva, tears or sweat.

483820[/snapback]

Not directly, but as BT alluded to, saliva can contain blood. As can sweat, especially if it's all mingled in.

There is still the RISK of HIV being transmitted by spitting, especially - without being racist - given the part of the world that this Diouf (as he's by far the worst offender) comes from. How many times is he going to get away with it?? First time, fair enough, he may not understand how abhorrent it is here - but by the FOURTH time, he should. He should be jailed for assault.

Not directly, but as BT alluded to, saliva can contain blood. As can sweat, especially if it's all mingled in.

484575[/snapback]

you would have to gob a good few times directly into an open cut to get close to infecting someone with HIV, but things like TB are carried in sputum and thus spitting can definitely transmit these.

HIV table

interestingly, the USA is worse for AIDS than Senegal!

Archived