I'd have preferred Ciampa's Road back to the top culminating in a Mania weekend win vs Cole and then some kind of turn by Gargano further down the line.
For me it feels a bit unsatisfactory at this point.

Jordan Devlin had a wee pisstake with it.
I'm as confused as the rest of you by the new DIY rivalry. Why?

On 17/02/2020 at 16:31, cb_diamond said:

Welcome ladies and gentlemen to NXT false-finish-a-rama: Portland.

Yeah... got to a point where I wasn't biting the near falls. I mean, they were great matches. But it was meaningless by about match four. 

Oddly, the opening match was the least guilty. It had nearfalls but protected the finishers.

Took a wee while for me to work through it, but another typically solid NXT show, bordering on really good.

But jeeeeeezo, those false finishes got tedious.  I can kind of see them in the main event, I'd say they'd be almost excusable there.  But there was one about 15 minutes into the show in the opening match, wasn't there?  Think I remember a tope rope finisher that looked brutal just being kicked out of, which set the tone for the rest of the show.  Reached the nadir in the main event, far too many to be believable.  It's a shame too, because a properly done false finish is one of the best things in wrestling.  It's really easy to ruin them though by just firing in a million of them to try and create tension.  Surely it's not that hard to build up a match like Cole vs Ciampa towards, say, a couple of big false finishes before the true end?  

Also on the negative side (although it depends how it plays out) the big finish.  Gargano turning heel looks like a crazy decision at this point.  He's just not very good at it, particularly when he's opposite someone who made an absolutely incredible heel.  Think Brian Zane put it that HHH is absolutely set on giving this storyline the natural conclusion it was robbed of, but this just feels like another third act twist just for the sake of it.  It'll no doubt make a great match at the end of it all, but still, seems needless.  

I don't think those take away from the overall quality though.  Lee/Deejackvic was very good, and I really got into the Nox/Kai match.  They really made the most of their time (aside from the meh finish).  

I think they'll have Balor work heel and WALTER tweener in the build up, knowing full well how the actual show will go. It really doesn't matter who the heel or face is in the build up. It's like Punk/Cena in 2011. Punk was the heel, but no c**t was fooled at how that PPV would go.