Breaking Bad

Kejan

TSAR: The running theme throughout the series is that each individual is not in the money business, but in the empire business. The Nazi's want to make even more money. The downfall of humanity is their greed. Again you fail to understand the importance of the % yield of the drug they are making. Hence why they need to keep Walt alive and they figured that leaving him one barrel would keep him sweet enough to cook for them. Todd is aware of how he under performs in the yield and tells his Uncle to spare Jesse's life.

They went to Todd's Uncle as they had to. If it wasn't him they would have made contact with someone else that had those connections. It isn't weird. A coincidence perhaps, but weird not. It is a MacGuffin used to help the plot of the story.

firstly :lol: at the bolded part.

good stories shouldn't have macguffins. walter coincidentally working with a guy who it just so happens has an uncle that can murder all the imprisoned witnesses who are about to turn against walter is ludicrous plotting.

Indeed, but the methheads aren't going to pay top dollar for an inferior high are they? The idea of the blue is that because its so pure the high was better raising the price and demand of the product

in my experience narcotics are a sellers market.

meth heads will pay as much as they can because they are addicts.

good stories shouldn't have macguffins. walter coincidentally working with a guy who it just so happens has an uncle that can murder all the imprisoned witnesses who are about to turn against walter is ludicrous plotting.

The bolded part is completely correct. Never heard the phrase "greed is the cause of our woes", or "greed is the root of all evil"?

What's ludicrous about it? Before meeting Walt, Todd was a thief, he then cold bloodedly murdered a child and assisted in the cooking of vast quantities of Class A narcotics. Does that not sound like the sort of person who might have relations who are equally, if not more, immoral?

Edited by J_Stewart

And a chemistry teacher/family man that turns to cooking meth because he's dying is a believable plotline :lol:

The downfall of each character by their greed is a theme that has been repeated throughout the series.

Why is it ludicrous? Fortunate yes, but it is hardly unbelievable that one person so heavily involved in a crime syndicate business would not have connections. It is only after Walt took over the pest business that they stopped the likes of Todd from stealing from the houses. One of the first things Todd did was kill a child in cold blood, he seen it as business and it needed to be done. If a person is likely to do that with no remorse, it is more than likely they have done it before. As such is it really that beyond the realms of reality that someone that involved would have connections?

The bolded part is completely correct. Never heard the phrase "greed is the cause of our woes", or "greed is the root of all evil"?

What's ludicrous about it? Before meeting Walt, Todd was a thief, he then cold bloodedly murdered a child and assisted in the cooking of vast quantities of Class A narcotics. Does that not sound like the sort of person who might have relations who are equally, if not more, immoral?

there is a difference between immoral and being able to organise 11 simultaneous murders in multiple different prisons.

the bolded part is an awful attempt at saying something profound. The downfall of humanity is their greed. what does it even mean? we haven't even heard any of the nazis say anything racist or anti semitic never mind being given any indication that they have evil misanthropic intentions.

in my experience narcotics are a sellers market.

meth heads will pay as much as they can because they are addicts.

The Czech's have done business on the assumption that they are getting a product that is well above the 74% product they are getting.

there is a difference between immoral and being able to organise 11 simultaneous murders in multiple different prisons.

the bolded part is an awful attempt at saying something profound. The downfall of humanity is their greed. what does it even mean? we haven't even heard any of the nazis say anything racist or anti semitic never mind being given any indication that they have evil misanthropic intentions.

No there isn't. The definition of immoral is "not conforming to accepted standards of morality", an immoral act is something that could be considered vicious, or amoral. It's exactly what organising 11 simultaneous murders is.

They haven't given any indication of evil misanthropic intentions? I'd say that's likely because they're too busy murdering rivals, police men and trying to cook crystal meth. it's a 45 minute show, do you want a back story of Uncle Jack murdering black people and being involved in KKK rallies as a youth?

I don't see what you can't grasp about greed being the downfall of humanity by the way. It's known as the root of all evil because it's unquenchable. The very nature of humanity is always to want more, often to its detriment.

No there isn't. The definition of immoral is "not conforming to accepted standards of morality", an immoral act is something that could be considered vicious, or amoral. It's exactly what organising 11 simultaneous murders is.

They haven't given any indication of evil misanthropic intentions? I'd say that's likely because they're too busy murdering rivals, police men and trying to cook crystal meth. it's a 45 minute show, do you want a back story of Uncle Jack murdering black people and being involved in KKK rallies as a youth?

I don't see what you can't grasp about greed being the downfall of humanity by the way. It's known as the root of all evil because it's unquenchable. The very nature of humanity is always to want more, often to its detriment.

if he meant the downfall of humanity is our greed then it makes a bit more sense but is still completely wrong considering humanity has been on a solid upward curve. the downfall of humanity is their greed implies he was only talking about the convenient nazis and that they desire the downfall of humanity.

i don't want uncle jack's full history but if they are nazis make them do something racist or anti semitic.

immorality is obviously a factor in organising 11 prisons murders but a very small factor. walter was immoral but he couldn't do it, the number of people who would be able to organise a prison gang to commit multiple murders is very small but serendipity meant that walter had the nephew of one on the payroll.

They make a point about saying it couldn't be done and Walt said he would find someone that could do it. It nothing else BB shows what can be done with money, these guys in the prison may not have been part of the Nazi crew but connected enough that a % of cash in an account would see them carry it out. I agree that particular sequence was a bit WTF tho Walt wants things done to the letter. They could of put in a 5 min sequence of how they contact each of the contacts at each prison but i think it works fine with the "killing montage" that they show instead

They make a point about saying it couldn't be done and Walt said he would find someone that could do it. It nothing else BB shows what can be done with money, these guys in the prison may not have been part of the Nazi crew but connected enough that a % of cash in an account would see them carry it out. I agree that particular sequence was a bit WTF tho Walt wants things done to the letter. They could of put in a 5 min sequence of how they contact each of the contacts at each prison but i think it works fine with the "killing montage" that they show instead

That killing montage was brutal to watch, extremely horrific.....Great tv nonetheless

Edited by Mik

if he meant the downfall of humanity is our greed then it makes a bit more sense but is still completely wrong considering humanity has been on a solid upward curve. the downfall of humanity is their greed implies he was only talking about the convenient nazis and that they desire the downfall of humanity.

i don't want uncle jack's full history but if they are nazis make them do something racist or anti semitic.

immorality is obviously a factor in organising 11 prisons murders but a very small factor. walter was immoral but he couldn't do it, the number of people who would be able to organise a prison gang to commit multiple murders is very small but serendipity meant that walter had the nephew of one on the payroll.

I meant that it was a theme used throughout Breaking Bad. If I had proof read my post I would have expanded on that.

Walt's shift to Heisenberg is necessitated by his greed. At any point he could stop and go back to being Walt, but he has a thirst for more. Skylar's morals disappear when she can have and run her own business. Hank runs an off book sting so that he can bring Heisenburg in by himself. He wants all the glory as he has been obsessed with catching Heisenburg. In each of the three characters they break bad catalysed by greed.

The whole point about showing their swastikas is to identify them with a gang along the lines of The Aryan Brotherhood, I'd imagine, as they are exactly the type of organization that could pull off multiple hits across various prisons. My understanding from watching documentaries and reading articles is that most members of the AB wouldn't be fervent racists or anti-semites - the swastika is just a convenient flag to draw gang lines in prison, where the different racial groups tend to self-segregate.

I don't really see it as a major reach that a career thief who operates in a group of career thieves - a group who also sell alarm codes and copied keys to other career criminals - would be connected to an influential member of one of the most prominent US prison gangs. It's really not worth breaking your suspension of disbelief over.

The same goes for the criminals maintaining their lifestyle despite making one massive score - various gangsters have made tens of millions but have never given up the life (ETA an example being the Lufthansa heist - worth $21m after inflation according to Google, but it didn't stop Robert De Niro collecting debts, buying silencers and distributing cocaine with the aid of his friend's Pittsburgh connections).

Edited by The OP

Speaking of finding unexpected ambiguity, I thought the way that Todd put a picture of Jesse's loved ones next to his workstation was really nice of him. A lot of women in my office do that and it does seem to motivate them. I didn't know Todd was so kind hearted, but maybe he felt bad for Jesse after the obviously nasty fall he had had offscreen.

Hmmmm... I thought it was more of a "I know who your loved ones are so don't f**k about or they'll get it"

Edited by Eric

So we're five series into a programme about a guy who becomes a drug kingpin because of a financially debilitating illness, despite having an offer for full financial support.

And the complaint is someone affiliated to the Aryan Brotherhood couldn't have people murdered in jail? Really? :lol:

You have to take a bit of a leap of faith with the show as a whole. One of the great strengths of the it is how gripping the show is regardless.