Breaking Bad

Kejan

Finished it last night. I first watched in 2013 I think but just kept dipping in and out of the first two series as I found they dragged a fair bit. Eventually persisted with the second series and once I hit the third series I was glued to it.

I'm not sure I'd put it on a par with The Sopranos but it was brilliant all the same and as has been said several times in his thread, Ozymandias and the last episode of the fourth series are two of the finest episodes of television ever made.

Completely disagree on its placing with The Sopranos. I'd equate it with football. For years Pele (Sopranos) and Maradona (The Wire) were viewed as the best ever, but recently, C. Ronaldo (Game of Thrones) and especially Messi (Breaking Bad) have surpassed them and performed at a level that hasn't been seen before. Breaking Bad is the best programme ever, in my opinion.

Ozymandias is the finest episode of television I've ever seen though, incredible from first minute to last.

Completely disagree on its placing with The Sopranos. I'd equate it with football. For years Pele (Sopranos) and Maradona (The Wire) were viewed as the best ever, but recently, C. Ronaldo (Game of Thrones) and especially Messi (Breaking Bad) have surpassed them and performed at a level that hasn't been seen before. Breaking Bad is the best programme ever, in my opinion.

Ozymandias is the finest episode of television I've ever seen though, incredible from first minute to last.

Very few words have ever been written, that I've agreed with more.

Edited by MONKMAN

Breaking Bad at it's best is better than anything else, but it wasn't at that level for the whole run. For me it was a bit slow to get going - not in the sense of not enough action as the character development was essential and compelling, just not as compelling as it was from the second half of Series 2 onwards - whereas The Sopranos was consistently great right from the start to the end (f**k anyone who says the last series wasn't as good). It's more Zlatan than Messi - absolutely brilliant when at it's best, but not producing the best nearly as consistently as the greatest of all time. I still haven't watched The Wire so can't comment there.

Sopranos > West Wing > Breaking Bad > Twin Peaks > all other manner of shite

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just finished this last night.  f**k me what a show.  Bryan Cranston and Giancarlo Esposito were phenomenal.  Jonathan Banks was tremendous also, can't wait to start Better Call Saul now for more of Mike.

• 5 weeks later...
On 19/01/2017 at 09:54, TheScarf said:

Just finished this last night.  f**k me what a show.  Bryan Cranston and Giancarlo Esposito were phenomenal.  Jonathan Banks was tremendous also, can't wait to start Better Call Saul now for more of Mike.

Got myself a Chromecast with Netflix, as I don't have any cable etc channels, and watched the lot in three weeks (correct - I don't have much of a life).  Superb show and didn't really dip very often at all; always fairly edgy.  Good that it had a pretty decent ending, as opposed to the series that don't tie up many of the threads.  Will watch again!

Edited by Hampden Diehard

29 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Got myself a Chromecast with Netflix, as I don't have any cable etc channels, and watched the lot in three weeks (correct - I don't have much of a life).  Superb show and didn't really dip very often at all; always fairly edgy.  Good that it had a pretty decent ending, as opposed to the series that don't tie up many of the threads.  Will watch again!

Yep, think I got through in it 3 weeks.  The acting was stupendous throughout.  I'm firing through Better Call Saul now.  Onto series 2 and it's bubbling away nicely.

• 2 weeks later...